Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Stronger Than I Thought?

PowerBook Stronger Than I Thought?
tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 06:55 PM

I've been wanting to use the PowerBook inside a case, as I always hear that it's very fragile, and I worry that if I take it out of a case and put it down on wood or what not, it'll start getting banged up. I get worried that a piece of plastic rubbing against it will create a large scratch, and I've been wondering why everyone else, even the people who use screen covers and iSkins and strong cases, use their PowerBooks "naked."

Thus, I'm beginning to think that I've been underestimating the strength of my PowerBook. Just now, I was messing with an ethernet cord, and I lifted the powerbook half a centimeter off the desk. When I put it down, it made a thud. It also makes a thud if I lift it from the front a little, and then place it down carelessly, so that it drops about half a centimeter. The screen shakes a little, back and forth, when I do this (...and I don't do it often, but I did do it about three times just now, to test it out...but if I use it without a case, this is bound to happen a lot). I don't think this should worry me, but it does...because I don't know what the PowerBook can handle! I have this conception that anything will hurt the little guy, and I don't think that's true...at all!

I'd like to know what actually damages/scratches the PowerBook, and how to take proper precautions...without being overly cautious.

Thanks .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I've been wanting to use the PowerBook inside a case, as I always hear that it's very fragile, and I worry that if I take it out of a case and put it down on wood or what not, it'll start getting banged up. I get worried that a piece of plastic rubbing against it will create a large scratch, and I've been wondering why everyone else, even the people who use screen covers and iSkins and strong cases, use their PowerBooks "naked."

Thus, I'm beginning to think that I've been underestimating the strength of my PowerBook. Just now, I was messing with an ethernet cord, and I lifted the powerbook half a centimeter off the desk. When I put it down, it made a thud. It also makes a thud if I lift it from the front a little, and then place it down carelessly, so that it drops about half a centimeter. The screen shakes a little, back and forth, when I do this (...and I don't do it often, but I did do it about three times just now, to test it out...but if I use it without a case, this is bound to happen a lot). I don't think this should worry me, but it does...because I don't know what the PowerBook can handle! I have this conception that anything will hurt the little guy, and I don't think that's true...at all!

I'd like to know what actually damages/scratches the PowerBook, and how to take proper precautions...without being overly cautious.

Thanks .
Are you the guy that lives across the street and has all their furniture covered in plastic like it is still the 1950's?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
Are you the guy that lives across the street and has all their furniture covered in plastic like it is still the 1950's?
Yeah!

Seriously, though...I'm only being obsessive because I don't know what it can withstand. I'd like it if someone told me, preferably from experience.

Edit: How'd you get your two dents?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 08:13 PM

according to some at the apple forums, powerbooks are extremely durable... most of damage is just exterior physical/cosmetic damage...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

that's one story... there was this other post i saw a couple weeks ago where these guys dropped a powerbook 12" from a 2 storey building and after the SIXTH drop it was unusable (mostly)...

i would never think of doing such damage... i guess most ppl just baby their powerbooks too much cuz they look so damn sweet.... no doubt the aluminum housing can be dented and scratched, but that's the payoff of such a sweet looking machine... ibm's are extremely durable, but compared to the powerbook they're ugly (altho i personally like their executive look)...

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by drprat:
according to some at the apple forums, powerbooks are extremely durable... most of damage is just exterior physical/cosmetic damage...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

that's one story... there was this other post i saw a couple weeks ago where these guys dropped a powerbook 12" from a 2 storey building and after the SIXTH drop it was unusable (mostly)...

i would never think of doing such damage... i guess most ppl just baby their powerbooks too much cuz they look so damn sweet.... no doubt the aluminum housing can be dented and scratched, but that's the payoff of such a sweet looking machine... ibm's are extremely durable, but compared to the powerbook they're ugly (altho i personally like their executive look)...
I'm not really worried about actually damaging the bowels of the PowerBook...I don't want dents or scratches, either!

How easy is it to scratch the PowerBook? Can it be repaired?

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 09:57 PM

Yeah!

Seriously, though...I'm only being obsessive because I don't know what it can withstand. I'd like it if someone told me, preferably from experience.

Edit: How'd you get your two dents?
I received teh first dent when my brother threw the TV remote and it hit the lid... The second dent is less noticible despite it happening from a more violent incident. My friends foot became entangled in the power cord and as a result of her walking while entangled the powerbook fell off my desk, which is just over 1m off the floor.

I forgot to mention that I have a scratch on the bottom. I used the powerbook on a stone ledge when I was stealing wifi. I guess there must have been some grit on the stone which gave me the scratch.

I am pretty rough on my Powerbooks. I used to baby them, but I realized that you can go crazy worrying about them. And since I upgrade at least every 2 years (usually sell older comp to friend/family... you know, spread the love), when I do get those scratches and dents I can look 4ward to upping to a new version relatively soon. ;-)
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by hadocon:
I received teh first dent when my brother threw the TV remote and it hit the lid... The second dent is less noticible despite it happening from a more violent incident. My friends foot became entangled in the power cord and as a result of her walking while entangled the powerbook fell off my desk, which is just over 1m off the floor.

I forgot to mention that I have a scratch on the bottom. I used the powerbook on a stone ledge when I was stealing wifi. I guess there must have been some grit on the stone which gave me the scratch.

I am pretty rough on my Powerbooks. I used to baby them, but I realized that you can go crazy worrying about them. And since I upgrade at least every 2 years (usually sell older comp to friend/family... you know, spread the love), when I do get those scratches and dents I can look 4ward to upping to a new version relatively soon. ;-)
Haha! Those are pretty major accidents...the kind that I don't plan on having.

Anyone else with advice on this matter? I really need to know if I should cancel my order for a MacCase binder, and just stick with a normal sleeve. Using it inside the binder seems a little annoying, but I thought it'd be smart...I'm starting to think that I'm, as I've said, underestimating the PowerBook's ability to withstand...well...anything.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 02:41 AM

I would just go with a insurance plan from www.safeware.com and not worry about your PB. It takes all the fun out of using it if you have to baby it too much. Safeware will cover your butt if something major happens that damages it (ie someone throws a beer can through your LCD or you spill coffee all over your keyboard. It even covers theft... IMHO this is a much better piece of mind. Small scuffs/scratches are unavoidable - and you'll be more pissed off about them if you baby your PB too much when they happen... Trust me I know what you're going through... just be careful and let the insurance company get your back
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

neverwind
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 03:55 AM

Haha! Those are pretty major accidents...the kind that I don't plan on having.
I'm <cough> sorry to hear about your... um...MAJOR ACCIDENT...
Poor Powerbook...

MAJOR ACCIDENT

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by neverwind:
I'm <cough> sorry to hear about your... um...MAJOR ACCIDENT...
Poor Powerbook...

MAJOR ACCIDENT
Anyway, back to my question .

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 02:41 PM

i dropped my 15" when it was in a case (it was a sleave that doesn't pad that well) from about 5 feet on to thinly carpeted concrete. it was undamaged other than a small dent on one corner. though the dent irritates me, i consider myself to be very lucky. i think the albooks are very durable from a mechanical standpoint. the brushed aluminum scratches fairly easily, but unlike the tibook, the scratches aren't as obvious. i had a gigatibook, and every tiny scratch looked awful
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
i dropped my 15" when it was in a case (it was a sleave that doesn't pad that well) from about 5 feet on to thinly carpeted concrete. it was undamaged other than a small dent on one corner. though the dent irritates me, i consider myself to be very lucky. i think the albooks are very durable from a mechanical standpoint. the brushed aluminum scratches fairly easily, but unlike the tibook, the scratches aren't as obvious. i had a gigatibook, and every tiny scratch looked awful
I see what you're saying. What would cause scratchecs, though? Can my fingernail do anything? If I accidentally rub a plug against the aluminum before inserting it into a port, would that cause anything?

perbl
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 05:56 PM

I see what you're saying. What would cause scratchecs, though? Can my fingernail do anything? If I accidentally rub a plug against the aluminum before inserting it into a port, would that cause anything?
The powerbook is durable enough for normal use, and I have never thought about where I place my fingernails when I use it Mine still looks like new, have a small tiny spot on the top of the casing, but that is unnoticable unless you try to look for it. So far, so good.

But what you need to realize, is that a laptop computer will show signs of use unless you put it in a sealed glass casing and do all your typing via a bluetooth-keyboard. A laptop is a tool meant to be used, not a piece of art meant to be locked away without beeing touched. What I will expect from my computer, is some more scratches, which is unevitable if you travel with it as much as I do, I will expect it to show some corrotion under the arm rests caused by my perspiration when I work with it, and I will expect the coating of the trackpad to show signs of use. I would recommend you to deal with it, or stop using your laptop as it is meant to be used...

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 06:14 PM

what about watch bands rubbing against the palm rest. will that cause a scratch?
Ryan

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 07:46 PM

i take off my watch before i use my powerbook, but i'm not actually sure that it would be a problem. in terms of the general scratchability, i haven't scratched it with a cable plugging it in, but i have scratched it with the zipper on my old case. that was caused by the laptop rubbing against the inside of the zipper over a fairly long walk, though.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by perbl:
The powerbook is durable enough for normal use, and I have never thought about where I place my fingernails when I use it Mine still looks like new, have a small tiny spot on the top of the casing, but that is unnoticable unless you try to look for it. So far, so good.

But what you need to realize, is that a laptop computer will show signs of use unless you put it in a sealed glass casing and do all your typing via a bluetooth-keyboard. A laptop is a tool meant to be used, not a piece of art meant to be locked away without beeing touched. What I will expect from my computer, is some more scratches, which is unevitable if you travel with it as much as I do, I will expect it to show some corrotion under the arm rests caused by my perspiration when I work with it, and I will expect the coating of the trackpad to show signs of use. I would recommend you to deal with it, or stop using your laptop as it is meant to be used...

It's hard to put things in perspective. It's so new and beautiful, but you're definetely right.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 09:05 PM

if you have the money, buy an extra set of enclosure, then use your laptop as roughly as you want, kwnoing that you can make look as good as new the instant you want it to be..well, almost, you need to open it up and replace the casing.

but then again, we might not even keep it long enough for it to begin showing bad signs of wear. i know i should just use it and forget it, but i can't it's so pretty. damn us humans and our emotional attachments to material objects.
Ryan

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
if you have the money, buy an extra set of enclosure, then use your laptop as roughly as you want, kwnoing that you can make look as good as new the instant you want it to be..well, almost, you need to open it up and replace the casing.

but then again, we might not even keep it long enough for it to begin showing bad signs of wear. i know i should just use it and forget it, but i can't it's so pretty. damn us humans and our emotional attachments to material objects.
Damn Apple for making such beautiful machines! Damn them all to hell!

perbl
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 05:20 PM

Damn Apple for making such beautiful machines! Damn them all to hell!
LOL

But yeah, removing steel wrist straps for watches and a couple of pimp-bracelets might be a good idea, my watch has had a broken strap for ages, so haven't really bothered to notice the problem, since I never bother to fix the strap

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 05:32 PM

I've got an idea-- why don't you drop a heavy ivory figurine on it and see how it holds up. Let us know how that goes...

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I've got an idea-- why don't you drop a heavy ivory figurine on it and see how it holds up. Let us know how that goes...
lmfao...

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 09:50 AM

I've have an original 12-in PB -- received 18 months ago. I'm looking it over now and it has no dents at all, that I see and no discernable scratches. And this machine is used daily, and quite a bit. My 3 kids are always picking it up and using it (they love the wireless surfing) and I'm constantly harping at them about being careful. I allow no food or drink near it (a rule I follow myself) and even though that rule is sometimes fudged, the PB has come to no harm. Watches are sometimes worn and haven't seemed to cause any difficulties.

I DO have both AppleCare and Safeware insurance, so I am covered in case of mechanical problems or accidental damage. THe AppleCare was a good buy, as in month 13, dark spots appeared at the bottom left of my screen and the book went in for (covered) repairs. And while we were on vacation, the laptop fell (gasp! I was horrified), while in a Targus not-at-all-made-for-this-machine case, about 4 feet from a luggage carrier. No problems thus far. But as I said, even if some develop, I have Safeware, so I'll be OK.

I'd say the biggest thing is that with normal use, the thing gets smudged and dirty; I clean it every once in a while and it looks pretty darn good.

When I first got this thing I was absolutely paranoid about damage. I've relaxed a whole lot since then. We just use it pretty normally and it's been fine. It still looks great. I think you have to be conscious of where it's being used and what people around you are doing (throwing beer cans, for example ) and take action accordingly.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by chris v:

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
I've have an original 12-in PB -- received 18 months ago. I'm looking it over now and it has no dents at all, that I see and no discernable scratches. And this machine is used daily, and quite a bit. My 3 kids are always picking it up and using it (they love the wireless surfing) and I'm constantly harping at them about being careful. I allow no food or drink near it (a rule I follow myself) and even though that rule is sometimes fudged, the PB has come to no harm. Watches are sometimes worn and haven't seemed to cause any difficulties.

I DO have both AppleCare and Safeware insurance, so I am covered in case of mechanical problems or accidental damage. THe AppleCare was a good buy, as in month 13, dark spots appeared at the bottom left of my screen and the book went in for (covered) repairs. And while we were on vacation, the laptop fell (gasp! I was horrified), while in a Targus not-at-all-made-for-this-machine case, about 4 feet from a luggage carrier. No problems thus far. But as I said, even if some develop, I have Safeware, so I'll be OK.

I'd say the biggest thing is that with normal use, the thing gets smudged and dirty; I clean it every once in a while and it looks pretty darn good.

When I first got this thing I was absolutely paranoid about damage. I've relaxed a whole lot since then. We just use it pretty normally and it's been fine. It still looks great. I think you have to be conscious of where it's being used and what people around you are doing (throwing beer cans, for example ) and take action accordingly.
Thanks for the tips!

cliff
Aug 20, 2004, 04:25 PM

My 17" PowerBook sits inside a Brenthaven Backpack and Radtech sleeve. I've dropped it several times and I use my PowerBook everwhere contantly, work, freinds, home. I've had it for about a year and there are no scratches/dents whatsoever. It's pretty tough.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 07:38 PM

i have no doubt that the innards are quite tough. the old titanium was baked, and it still runs. and some other was run over by car, and it still runs. so i think the innards are safe. what i wanna know is how tough is the exterior to scratches and dents.

i just noticed yesterday that the metal above my latch button is slightly warped inside. i remember now that i might ahve pressed on the metal too when i press the button. if such little pressure can cause a warp, then the metal is pretty durable..and i worry a drop will leave a huge dent.

but then again, it's barely visible. i have to see it sideways and against a ncie angle of light before the ripples are exaggerated and i can see it with bare eyes.
Ryan

Forum Links
Forum Rules