Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Yet another silly G5 power supply noise question~! ^_^

Yet another silly G5 power supply noise question~! ^_^
Sporty G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2004, 03:46 AM

I'm really sorry for posting this everybody as I'm certain that you are all sick
of hearing paranoid/dillusional G5 owners posting everytime they think they hear
what might possibly perhaps be a noisey power supply....

Well, anywho.... one of my Mac friends came over tonight and the first thing out of his mouth was, "what's wrong with your power supply..." I'v noticed the sound since I bought the machine but have just ignored it. It sounds exactly as if I have a harddrive grinding away 24/7 and the sound is definetly coming from the power supply. It drowns out the almost none existent fan noise completely and is louder than my HD when it is in fact working hard.

If this sounds normal I'll shut up. If not, should I have something done? Dragging a 44lb. Power Mac around isn't a lot of fun.....

THANKS EVERYBODY.

idyll
Senior User
Jul 11, 2004, 06:00 AM

That doesn't sound normal to me. My PowerMac G5 is pretty quiet overall and I can hear the hard drive when it's working loud and clear.

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 07:59 PM

My brand new PowerMac G5 single 1.8 GHz is now doing the same thing that you describe.

Apple quality is ...... not there.

Did you ever find a fix for this?

Sporty G  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 09:34 PM

No, and I haven't been in a position where I can give up my G5 for more than a couple of days of to have it looked it. It's a bit hard to justify lugging my 50lb. computer into a store for such a small defect, as dissapointing as it is.

dabigdawg
Nov 1, 2004, 05:46 PM

Ugh - I have same noise sounds like a low flying plane only happens fro a few seconds then winds down, specially notice it when i load a large album from iphoto or am working with several Raw Photo files. So, this is something apple would fix? Or is it just a fact fo life for G5 owners? I have a dual 2.0 gig if that makes any difference.
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

Al G
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 07:30 PM

Sounds like a bad fan in the power supply.

roders
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 07:57 PM

dabigdawg; Sounds like your G5 is just upping the speed of it's fans when it's doing something processor intensive, your G5 is designed to do this (so it doesn't melt) this is perfectly fine.
As for the topic starter sounds like your powersupply is deffinetly far too noisy, maybe apple will ship you a replacement, Is it a user replaceable part?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by roders:
dabigdawg; Sounds like your G5 is just upping the speed of it's fans when it's doing something processor intensive, your G5 is designed to do this (so it doesn't melt) this is perfectly fine.
ya, your computer getting noisier when it is processing large files or heavy tasks is definitely normal.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

dabigdawg
Nov 2, 2004, 03:03 AM

what i thought just wanted some backup on theory. Thanks
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

Forum Links