Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mx900

Mx900
RonnieoftheRose
Dec 10, 2004, 02:46 PM

I bought this mouse today. Works flawlessly with the Alubook. Fast response times with no stuttering. Now if only Logitech could release a control panel to configure all its buttons. If Apple could get them all to be recognized by Expose why don't they show up in the Mouse sysprefs?

osxisfun
Dec 10, 2004, 02:54 PM

try using USB overdrive instead.

i use it on my mx510 i really tricked expose out with all my mouse buttons.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
I bought this mouse today. Works flawlessly with the Alubook. Fast response times with no stuttering. Now if only Logitech could release a control panel to configure all its buttons. If Apple could get them all to be recognized by Expose why don't they show up in the Mouse sysprefs?
Not sure what you're asking... I use my MX 700 buttons for Expose all the time... works great. And no need to install Logitech drivers. In fact I'd recommend you NOT install Logitech's drivers... Expose picks the stuff right up with the built-in OS X drivers.

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 02:44 PM

I am looking into getting this mouse to use with my AluBook. However, it looks like it only has an internal rechargable battery that must be recharged on the included BT cradle. Since I have BT built into my PowerBook, I don't want to deal with this extra piece of hardware to plug in to a USB port. (Otherwise, I would just buy a corded mouse.)

At any rate, how do you work around this?

(Thanks in advance for any info. )

perbl
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 07:00 PM

Doesn't people know how to search the forum?

I don't know how many threads I have seen mentioning this mouse, and in each thread the posters seem to have the impression that it doesn't work in Expose, and that it has an internal battery, that it needs the cradle to work etc.

The mouse is:

1. Able to function in expose without drivers, with all buttons (at least mine is). Just check the Expose control panel, and set the functions to mouse button 4-5-6 etc.
2. Has standard AA-batteries, so if you do not want to use the included NIMH and charger, feel free to drop them and buy non-rechargeable batteries intstead.
3. The mouse works fine with the standard bluetooth-module in the Powerbook.

Only reason to install USB-overdrive is if you need other functions that Expose mapped to the keys. The scrolling keys also works out of the box.

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 08:02 PM

perbl,

Thanks for the info. (I have searched the forums for this mouse, but there is a lot of conflicting information in there...apparently a lot of people don't seem to know what they are talking about.) It's nice to get the straight answer...

Thanks again

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2004, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by xtremekinetix:
I am looking into getting this mouse to use with my AluBook. However, it looks like it only has an internal rechargable battery that must be recharged on the included BT cradle. Since I have BT built into my PowerBook, I don't want to deal with this extra piece of hardware to plug in to a USB port. (Otherwise, I would just buy a corded mouse.)

At any rate, how do you work around this?

(Thanks in advance for any info. )
You should be able to use the cradle that came with the mouse for recharging. Plug it in to the AC but not in to the USB port on your machine...

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2004, 07:16 AM

I was under the impression that USBOverdrive would not work for the MX900 because it is a bluetooth wireless mouse and not a wired USB mouse (which are the only mice USBOverdrive will work with).

Can somebody with a bluetooth mouse verify this?

Ruahrc

Momma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2004, 02:08 PM

As mentioned before:

1. You can plug the charger in and drop the mouse in the cradle at night to charge your mouse, or use an external charger, or just use non rechargable batteries.

2. I use gamepad companion as usb overdrive does not support blueetooth as of yet, it will be included in the next version but the writer of the software has had a baby and is obviously busy, with gamepad companion you can customise all buttons, on my mx900 i have the window button set to expose all windows, the middle mouse button to expose desktop, and the back and forward buttons to surprisingly back and forward, they work in finder and in firefox apple+[ or ], gamepad companion is a good bit of software the only problem with is is that you have to start the progile you hav ecreated for your mouse every time it resumes from sleep.

3. there is no problems with bluetooth, your pb will pick it up.

4. the batteries normally last me 3-4 days, heavy use.

5. it is quite a large heavy mouse but is very accurate.

Momma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2004, 02:14 PM

As mentioned before:

1. You can plug the charger in and drop the mouse in the cradle at night to charge your mouse, or use an external charger, or just use non rechargable batteries.

2. I use gamepad companion as usb overdrive does not support blueetooth as of yet, it will be included in the next version but the writer of the software has had a baby and is obviously busy, with gamepad companion you can customise all buttons, on my mx900 i have the window button set to expose all windows, the middle mouse button to expose desktop, and the back and forward buttons to surprisingly back and forward, they work in finder and in firefox apple+[ or ], gamepad companion is a good bit of software the only problem with is is that you have to start the progile you hav ecreated for your mouse every time it resumes from sleep.

3. there is no problems with bluetooth, your pb will pick it up.

4. the batteries normally last me 3-4 days, heavy use.

5. it is quite a large heavy mouse but is very accurate.

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 12:00 AM

I just got the MX900. Works well right out of the box. Thanks for the helpful info.

I also just downloaded Gamepad Companion in order to assign a hotkey to Konspos�. Can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone else been able to set this action up?

Also, anyone know if this program will allow the Microsoft Intellimouse Bluetooth to work with a AluBook?

perbl
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2004, 10:06 AM

As far as I know, it probably can, but can't verify it. I first bought the MS-BT-mouse, but I liked the shape of the Logitech much better, and the charging is so much easier when the rechargeable batteries and cool charging solution is included in the package, so I got the money back and bought the MX900 instead.

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 12:27 PM

Figured out how to get Konspos� to work with Gamepad Companion: I had to assign the button that I wanted to activate Konspos� to something other than a function key as Gamepad Companion wouldn't recognize it. (In this case, I used "Option+Tab".) Then, I went into Konfabulator's Preferences panel and changed it from F8 to the new key assignment. Worked fine after that.

Also, I assigned one of the buttons to "Command+h" to hide the program I am working in when I switch between programs. That is nice one...almost as nice to have as the mouse itself.

The side to side function on the MS mouse scroll wheel would be nice to have (e.g. to assign forward and back webpages to), but I don't think that it has as many other buttons, and I am really enjoying the features of the functions that I assigned to them.

Well, thanks again for all the advice and helpful comments that everyone provided. If you have a AluBook and are in the market for a BT mouse, I highly recommend this one as a solid choice.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 07:15 PM

I'm bumping this thread because I just got an MX900 for $50 CDN (that's about a third of the regular price).

Question: I have Gamepad Companion installed, but when I bind Cmd-] and Cmd-[ to buttons 4 and 5, they don't do anything in at least Safari. Is there a special trick I'm missing?
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 08:01 PM

They worked just fine for me...If I happen upon a solution, though, I will post it to you.

Nice deal on the mouse!

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 08:05 PM

Should have included this in the earlier post, but just for the sake of anyone else that might be considering this mouse:

1. Taking a battery out every time I throw it in my courier bag to go somewhere is getting annoying. I wish it had an on/off switch...

2. Every time I turn on my PowerBook I have to go into System Prefs, stop Gamepad Comp, then start it again. This gets old, too.

Otherwise, it is a sweet mouse. Nice to be able to right click, scroll, hide apps, go to Expos� and Konspos�, all with the click of a button...and wirelessly, too.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2005, 05:07 PM

I keep hearing complaints from Windows users about BlueTooth mice disconnecting or going to stand-by mode after some idle time and then taking a long time to reconnect again. Does this happen on the Mac too?
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 05:12 PM

No...this hasn't really happened to me. The mouse is pretty sweet. The only thing I wish it had was an on/off switch. And every time I pull it out of my bag to use it I have to go into System Preferences and restart Gamepad Companion in order to get all of the extra buttons to work the way I've set them up. This is a minor annoyance.

Anyone know of any better programs than Gamepad Companion that will work for programming extra mouse buttons?

perbl
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 07:48 PM

I haven't had any problems at all with the mouse disconnecting, only strange thing I have noticed is that it seemed to lag somehow when I used the Airport Express heavily, but that problem seems gone now (probably caused by some interference between 802.11g and Bluetooth).

I still love my MX900, as mentioned it can be somewhat irritating to remove the batteries when you have to bring it with you, but I think this solution is kinda better than the MS-one or other solutions, where you need to open the battery cover each time you charge/switch batteries, I imagine the latch will break after some time, whereas the MX900 only needs the batteries removed once in a while when you wish to travel without risking to drain the batteries. Of course, an optimal solution would have been to supply it with an on/off-switch, but I can't really say I have missed it, but then again, I very rarely bring an external mouse with me when I am on the move with my Powerbook.

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 10:23 PM

If you're really lazy, putting a piece of tape over the optical 'hole' will put the mouse to 'sleep'
Aloha

cakeandpie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
I'm bumping this thread because I just got an MX900 for $50 CDN (that's about a third of the regular price).

Question: I have Gamepad Companion installed, but when I bind Cmd-] and Cmd-[ to buttons 4 and 5, they don't do anything in at least Safari. Is there a special trick I'm missing?
sorry for bumping this old thread, but I'm having the same problems. I've been trying to get the back and forward buttons programmed on my mouse with GamePad Companion, but nothing seems to be working. I tried assigning the button combination to each mouse button one at a time and none of them work. Is there something that we're both missing?

Thanks!

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 02:16 AM

I didn't have my left and right buttons setup... but i figured it out
Download Gamepad companion and install it.

http://www.carvware.com/

Took me a little while to figure this out... but i found out which buttons go with which.
Click on the MX900 and there should be 8 buttons to it.

Button 4: is the right button
Button 5: is the left button

Now ... as for the functions... i found it only works for certain functions.
If you assign it to ctl+left arrow (go back on the browser).. it doesn't do that.
But if you ask it to ctl+c (copy) ..it'll work..

Now once your done assigning the functions.. Press START

Hope it helps
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

cakeandpie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by ericssonboi:
I didn't have my left and right buttons setup... but i figured it out
Download Gamepad companion and install it.

http://www.carvware.com/

Took me a little while to figure this out... but i found out which buttons go with which.
Click on the MX900 and there should be 8 buttons to it.

Button 4: is the right button
Button 5: is the left button

Now ... as for the functions... i found it only works for certain functions.
If you assign it to ctl+left arrow (go back on the browser).. it doesn't do that.
But if you ask it to ctl+c (copy) ..it'll work..

Now once your done assigning the functions.. Press START

Hope it helps
Thanks for the reply, but is exactly what I've been trying. I already had GamePad Companion, and I assigned the actions to buttons four and five and it didn't work. According to both "Momma" and "xtremekinetix", they were able to get back and forward working on their mice, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on ours. I tried using apple+left arrow and apple+[, but neither worked. Anyone else have any ideas?

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by cakeandpie:
Thanks for the reply, but is exactly what I've been trying. I already had GamePad Companion, and I assigned the actions to buttons four and five and it didn't work. According to both "Momma" and "xtremekinetix", they were able to get back and forward working on their mice, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on ours. I tried using apple+left arrow and apple+[, but neither worked. Anyone else have any ideas?
I'm lost at why it won't take the ctl+left arrow and ctl+right arrow... but the buttons work at least. If you assign them to other functions... it works..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2005, 03:15 AM

I've also got the MX900, and I set buttons 4 and 5 to Expos� functions. It's really convenient!

One problem I have now, though, is that since getting the Bluetooth mouse, my iMac won't wake up from sleep by clicking the mouse, and 75% of the time the keyboard won't wake it up either. I have to use the power button. Anyone else having this problem?

[If it helps at all, I don't use the MX900 cradle, but my iMac's internal Bluetooth instead.]

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
One problem I have now, though, is that since getting the Bluetooth mouse, my iMac won't wake up from sleep by clicking the mouse, and 75% of the time the keyboard won't wake it up either. I have to use the power button. Anyone else having this problem?
Will the iMac wake up if you click again a second or two after the first click?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Will the iMac wake up if you click again a second or two after the first click?
No. It appears the option to allow bluetooth devices to wake up my Mac is greyed out in the bluetooth preferences.

Like I said too, the keyboard usually can't wake it up either now. I think it's a system problem.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 07:45 PM

I've also got the MX900, and I set buttons 4 and 5 to Expos� functions. It's really convenient!

[If it helps at all, I don't use the MX900 cradle, but my iMac's internal Bluetooth instead.]
Did you run the BlueTooth firmware updater?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...updater12.html

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2005, 11:22 PM

I've run the updater. Now my mouse will wake up the machine. The problem is, even mouse movement wakes it up, so I can't put the mouse on the cradle after putting the Mac to sleep. Argh!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 03:10 AM

I've run the updater. Now my mouse will wake up the machine. The problem is, even mouse movement wakes it up, so I can't put the mouse on the cradle after putting the Mac to sleep. Argh!
That's the way it's meant to be.

However, this works fine: put the mouse in the cradle, hit ctrl-eject for a panel, and hit s for sleep. Alternatively, there's opt-command-eject to go to sleep directly.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2005, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
That's the way it's meant to be.

However, this works fine: put the mouse in the cradle, hit ctrl-eject for a panel, and hit s for sleep. Alternatively, there's opt-command-eject to go to sleep directly.
Thank you, Simon! I was looking for a keyboard shortcut to put my machine to sleep but hadn't found one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 07:29 AM

Thank you, Simon! I was looking for a keyboard shortcut to put my machine to sleep but hadn't found one.
Anytime.

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2005, 01:21 AM

Hey All,

I just picked up a new 20" 2Ghz iMac last week, and am seriously considering the MX900. I just wanted to bump this thread and ask if the MX900's functionality/behavior was effected at all by Tiger, for better or worse? Thanks!
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2005, 02:38 AM

My g/f runs Tiger on an iMac and uses an MX900 too. It works just as good as with Panther. No differences noticed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules