Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac Audio Setup ?

Mac Audio Setup ?
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 05:35 PM

Now that I've got all my CDs on my PowerMac I'm trying to decide the best way to play them. I'm looking at: good computer speakers, airport express or other connection to a home stereo, remotes, etc.

What audio setups are people using, what should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Josh
( Last edited by KeilwerthSX90R; Mar 8, 2005 at 05:48 PM. )

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
Now that I've got all my CDs on my PowerMac I'm trying to decide the best way to play them. I'm looking at: good computer speakers, airport express or other connection to a home stereo, remotes, etc.

What audio setups are people using, what should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Josh
I just purchased the Tivoli Model Two and the accompanying subwoofer. I've been very pleased with it. I almost never listen to music on my home theater setup anymore. Previously I had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, which are good speakers too.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 8, 2005, 07:38 PM

You'll hear a ton of people here swearing by H/K SoundSticks, JBL Creature, and similar snazzy-looking systems. While none of those sound bad, similar sound quality can be purchased for 1/3-1/5 of the cost if you are willing to go with conventional-looking speakers. The SoundSticks and Creatures are so-so speakers in really cool housings.

Now, if you really want sound quality, but don't care so much about looks (or saving space), consider buying a pair of studio monitors from a musicians' store. They sound great, and if they're good enough to make music on, they're bound to be good enough to listen to it.

I have a pair of long-discontinued Jamo CS-5 multimedia speakers on my Macs, but if I had to recommend speakers today, I'd either look at some of the larger Altec Lansings, or if you prefer a less bright sound, some Klipsches, or for a larger budget, some studio monitors as described above.

Another option is to use a digital optical output to an AV receiver, connected to nice home speakers of your choice. This gives you the possibility of surround, too, if you like to play DVDs on your Mac. (G5 Macs already have optical output, for all the others, it's available in the form of USB adapters.) Of course, an analog stereo audio connection to an AV receiver works, too!

tooki

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 12:11 AM

The Altec Lansing FX6021's are my dream 2.1 speakers. They're a bit higher cost and my current speakers are doing good enough, but I'd love to have a set of those. Stay away from Logitech (except for their Z-5500's, but those aren't really optimal for music), and IMHO the Klipsch speakers I've heard (friend has a set of 4.1's, dunno what model exactly) weren't all that impressive to me.

If you search I think there are plenty of older but still relevant threads on speakers.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 9, 2005, 01:36 AM

Snag a mini plug to RCA cable, some long RCAs, and plug it into your stereo. Works great.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 02:02 PM

I'm a big fan of the Klipsch.
Backup your Backup

iDORK
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2005, 02:55 AM

Check out the Altec Lansing XT1 speakers...these are USB powered too so no batteries!

Reviewhttp://www.laptoplogic.com/reviews/gear/50/1/1/

Yose
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 05:51 PM

I've always been happy with what I've seen from Edirol, however, right now I have an RCA receiver that I connect to through optical powering two satilite speakers. My Airport Express it connected to a Harmon Kardon system thats driving two big floor speakrs (no sub).
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 06:18 PM

check out m-audio.com;
they make great powered speakers, studio quality (i use the 5" pair as a second set un my studio); great sound, price.

get a stereo mini plug to 2 1/4" plugs, hook up to your headphone output on the mac, and enjoy...!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules