Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Are 10.4 Discs Specific To Each Mac?

Are 10.4 Discs Specific To Each Mac?
lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 11:59 PM

My GF just bought a 20" iMac - boy is that thing bright, even with brightness turned all the way down, it's still way brighter then my PowerBook.

Anyways, my question is, I tried installing 10.4 with the disc that came with her iMac on my PowerBook, but right after starting up from the DVD and picking my language, it says something along the lines of - can not install software on this computer.

Are the 10.4 discs made specifically for that particular Mac that it came with?

Or is there something screwy going on here?
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:08 AM

The OEM discs are specific to the computer model.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 12:28 AM

once again this is something that has been covered countless times.

yes, the disks were made for specific models. and if you do happen to know the workarounds and get it to install you are violating the license agreement. just because your GF has a 10.4 disc it does not give you the right to install it anywhere and everywhere you please....it came with a license agreement - try reading it and sticking to it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2005, 01:13 AM

Some are model specific, others are universal installers and are not model specific......
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2005, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
once again this is something that has been covered countless times.

yes, the disks were made for specific models. and if you do happen to know the workarounds and get it to install you are violating the license agreement. just because your GF has a 10.4 disc it does not give you the right to install it anywhere and everywhere you please....it came with a license agreement - try reading it and sticking to it.
You're right, of course, but perhaps if lawyers did not insist on fifty page EULAs and instead created simpler documents that people could stand to read, users would be less apt to violate the terms.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by lunaticbunny
My GF just bought a 20" iMac - boy is that thing bright, even with brightness turned all the way down, it's still way brighter then my PowerBook.

Anyways, my question is, I tried installing 10.4 with the disc that came with her iMac on my PowerBook, but right after starting up from the DVD and picking my language, it says something along the lines of - can not install software on this computer.

Are the 10.4 discs made specifically for that particular Mac that it came with?

Or is there something screwy going on here?
most are like that yes.
iamwhor3hay

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You're right, of course, but perhaps if lawyers did not insist on fifty page EULAs and instead created simpler documents that people could stand to read, users would be less apt to violate the terms.
Now come on. Someone buys a new Mac and you try and use their installer CD to put Tiger on your machine and you have to be TOLD this is illegal?

I suppose you need a sign which tells you that it's illegal to drive off with a car, if you happen to see keys in the ignition.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2005, 05:42 PM

When it comes to OEM discs, it would seem that some models have model-specific CDs (they seem tied to models, rather than individual machines) while some do not. For example, iMacs (as you've discovered) have had model-specific CDs for quite some time, but iBooks had generic CDs. I don't know what makes the model-specific discs different, such that they don't install on other models.

Ahem. What you're doing is illegal anyway. Buy your own license.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 09:27 PM

iBooks are specific...check the help docs.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
iBooks are specific...check the help docs.
Having personally used an iBook disc to install on a dual-proc G5 and a very old TiBook, I must disagree. Granted, this was for Panther, and it may have changed for Tiger, but at least in the recent past this was not the case.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Law books are longer than EULAs, but you still know you can't walk into a store and steal goods.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Having personally used an iBook disc to install on a dual-proc G5 and a very old TiBook, I must disagree. Granted, this was for Panther, and it may have changed for Tiger, but at least in the recent past this was not the case.
I stand corrected. With the more recent models (Panther, Tiger) the OEM discs do not stick computer-specific information in the install.

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 09:23 AM

if you want to install it, do the following:

1) boot up the computer that the disks came with (host)
2) shut down the computer that you want to install on (target)
3) connect the two via a firewire cable
4) boot up the target computer, holding down the "T" key to put it into firewire disk mode
5) launch the installer from the host computer
6) install on your "external" firewire drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules