Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > argh. 15" pb to mb?

argh. 15" pb to mb?
tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 11:35 AM

ok so i have a 15" powerbook g4 right now (1.67/superdrive/1gb/80gb/64mb video). i think that i have decided to get the black macbook but im not sure if it is good enough. i will use it for everyday tasks as well as a bit of music production (reason3 and logic) and a little bit of photoshop work. the only complaint that i have with my powerbook is that i cant play HD video for ****. do you think the 2.0 macbook with say 1gb or 2gb ram is enough? can it play HD well? should i just say **** it and get the macbook pro?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:46 AM

nether will play 'true' hd on their own screens (resolutions are too small) but in closed lid mode they should work just fine with an hd display. i havent noticed any hiccups with my mbp 2.0 or my late imac core duo 1.83 so im guessing it should be fine. heck...even the mini's are playing hd trailers ok.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tricha6
Aug 31, 2006, 06:46 PM

Supposedly the Mini's are decoding HD Video really, really well, and thus the MB's would to. I guess the dual core chips and the GMA 950 are well suited for this type of video (indeed, the GMA 950 is actually a pretty good chip for 2D work).

But you may be giving up some other creature comforts with the switch. First, the annoying check for the universal symbol every time you want to download new software. The dedicated graphics chip, FW 800, backlit keyboad (?), etc, etc.

If HD video is primarily what you do - yeah, it may be worth it, but I'm not sure, now that I own a black MacBook, that I'd consider it a great upgrade.

And not to be the iRez police, but I don't know what 'true' HD is, especially since the entire industry doesn't know what 'true' HD is. One format, 720p is 1280 x 720 which can be played with black bars on the top and bottom on both the MB and MBP. I'm not saying 1080P isn't better; nor am I saying that 720P is going to be the standard (probably not), but nonetheless you can play it on a MB or MB Pro.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 11:12 PM

I'm not quite sure about all this HD stuff, but I would definitely say to go ahead and get the BlackBook... while it may not have a Firewire 800, and you may not be able to play huge arse 3D games, the MacBook is certainly a great upgrade from the G4. While Photoshop may run a little bit slower, everything else will be so much faster you won't care.... at least that's my take on the situation.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 01:09 AM

well from the backlash ive received long before, the consensus seems to be that nothing other than 1080i at full resolution is 'actual' hd.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2006, 01:42 AM

I upgraded from a 15"PB to a Blackbook, I haven't had any problems, works with HD just fine. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a MBP until the next revision.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Forum Links
Forum Rules