Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stepped on it

Stepped on it
MikiSunshine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

I know, worst thing could do but I did it. I accidentally stepped on my MBP and now the screen has dark streaks in it. It's still useable but very annoying. I just bought it refurbed in August and would like some opinions on the least expensive way to get this repaired. I've heard of Safeware and MacBookResQ but I'm not sure what to do. I need to get this fixed as quickly as possible with limited downtime since I use it for my work as well as my play. What are my options and best bets not to get ripped off or have to wait 3-6 weeks without a laptop?
Regards,
Miki

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 04:11 PM

buy a new macbook pro and sell yours...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MikiSunshine  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 04:18 PM

That doesn't sound very practical or inexpensive. But I suppose it's the thought that counts.
Regards,
Miki

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 04:23 PM

who will buy a MBP in such state?

I don't know a better option than replacing the screen, but it's very costly and also will take time.
Or maybe cheaper will be buying a used one, the cheapest possible, and replace screens...

maybe stupid suggestions, but it's my contribution to a sad situation...

jeffr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 04:40 PM

You could contact Apple. You probably need a new LCD screen. That will run you several hundred dollars, but would still be cheaper than buying a new one. It's unlikely you would be able to sell that unit as is. If you take it into an Apple Store they could probably give you an estimate. It's either that or buy another refurbished unit, but then you would be in for the cost of two units. Sorry to hear that happened.

dandydan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 04:44 PM

One option if it's under warrentee is just to take it in to Apple and claim that you don't know what happened to it...the screen just copped out...if they don't know what to look for you might get a free screen or whole new MBP.

rjt1000
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 04:48 PM

Depending on where you live, you may do better with a local Mac tech service than dealing with Apple. The prices will likely be lower, and you may be able to order the part and then bring the MBP back for service on the spot or overnight. Just be sure they have Apple certified techs.

BTW, some homeowners insurance will cover accidental damage like this, minus your deductible. Worth checking out.

MikiSunshine  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 04:50 PM

It is indeed a sad situation and I thank you for your condolences. I feel like an utter fool for doing such an avoidably stupid thing. I need to start looking where I put my feet!

In the meantime, I've uncovered several options. I checked with TechRestore and they want $550 for a 24-hour overnight replacement of the screen and 1-year warranty. MacResQ on the other hand, only wants $499 for an overnight replacement but only gives a 6-month warranty. I've heard I can purchase Safeware but while considerably less expensive, it could take as long as a month to get it repaired. I don't think I can live without the thing that long.

I may try checking with a local authorized Apple repair center, but I'm not holding out much hope of getting it any cheaper. Maybe I should just live with it and consider it just punishment for not putting it away where it should have been when I went to sleep last night.
Regards,
Miki

rjt1000
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Madrag View Post
who will buy a MBP in such state?
You'd be surprised. People will buy broken screen laptops to chop them up for parts, to repair themselves or to use them with a monitor. Here's one in worse condition than the O.P. that sold on eBay recently for $810. A significant loss in value, yes. But not worthless.

eBay: Broken Macbook Pro 15.4' in 1.83 GHZ Intel Core Duo (item 220066394510 end time Dec-31-06 22:02:09 PST)

ibook_steve
Jan 5, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MikiSunshine View Post
It is indeed a sad situation and I thank you for your condolences. I feel like an utter fool for doing such an avoidably stupid thing. I need to start looking where I put my feet!
I think the appropriate question is not where you put your feet, but why your MBP was on the floor where it could be easily stepped on!

Steve

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 05:20 PM

BTW, so much for the MagSafe...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:57 PM

Do you have house hold contents insurance? Check your coverage for accidental damage.

MikiSunshine  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 06:19 PM

What is MagSafe?
Regards,
Miki

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 06:36 PM

i dont see how its not practical or inexpensive...say you get 900 bucks for your machine...if you buy a new refurb for 1399 your 'repair' will cost around 500-600 bucks, if you buy a new machine via ebay it might even cost you less and you end up with a mbp that still has its applecare vs a repaired one that doesnt.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 07:49 PM

I agree with iRez... it may be cheaper to go that route.

Apple will charge you $1200+ to fix this. It's called a Tier 4 repair.

Ifixit sells the part for $799 here:

iFixit - iBook & PowerBook Parts

But you would have to fix it yourself or pay someone.

Also, if the metel casing is bent, you may have to replace that too.

I can do the repair for around $600 probably, but is it really worth it?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by MikiSunshine View Post
What is MagSafe?
The name of magnetic power adapter connector of your macbook pro.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

MikiSunshine  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 10:46 PM

ibook_steve: It was on the floor because I had a stupid moment and put it there instead of on the headboard where it usually stays when I'm ready to sleep. Like I said, it was an avoidable, stupid mistake. <sigh>

peeb: My homeowner's insurance may cover it, but with a $500 deductible, doesn't make sense to make a claim, does it? Safeware is the most cost effective if not the swiftest solution.

iREZ
: With the extra memory and other things I have in this refurb, it will cost more than $1399. If I could only get $900 for it as is, it's hardly worth it. I'd rather get it repaired. Apple says they'll still honor Applecare so long as the repair is done by an authorized Apple technician.

chipchen: At the prices you quoted, you're right, it's hardly worth it. But for $500, I may just go that route.

Actually, after further research, I will most likely live with it until I'm ready to get a new one or, if the damaged area gets any worse, spend the $500 and get it fixed by MacResQ. I just have to think about what I really want. I was raised a DOS baby, forced into Windows and have been working with PCs for the last 20 years. I always wanted a Mac and this is my first one. I love this thing and even though I have Parallels and can load WinXP whenever I want, I find that I spend all my time in OSX. I'm just kicking myself for damaging it after only having it for less than 5 months.
Regards,
Miki

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2007, 01:01 AM

DT&T- MacBook Pro Parts & Repair Service - they list the part + labor at $395, dont know if it is reliable company other than their online testimonials

MikiSunshine  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks, tman. Looks like the best price out there. I'll look into them.

It seems the pixels are slowly filling back in. Very weird and I had no idea this could happen. Lucky me. But now there's this long, thin, pink line running from top to bottom. I think I lost at least one row of pixels.
Regards,
Miki

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Do you have house hold contents insurance? Check your coverage for accidental damage.

Homeowners or renter insurance will cover after deductable and Safeware.com insurance covers with no deductable, but you need to have insurance in place prior to accident!

spice003
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post

Homeowners or renter insurance will cover after deductable and Safeware.com insurance covers with no deductable, but you need to have insurance in place prior to accident!
they don't have to know when it really happened. just get it and call them like in 3 weeks.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by spice003 View Post
they don't have to know when it really happened. just get it and call them like in 3 weeks.
That is INSURANCE FRAUD and is a FEDERAL CRIME!

You better hope Safeware doesn't monitor this site!

pcummins
Jan 9, 2007, 09:19 AM

If you can find out the model of screen you have in the MacBook Pro (probably while investigating how bad the flex is in the screen case) you can order/eBay a replacement probably quite cheaply, maybe $175 - $250 US. Then just swap the new screen in if the screen casing is all OK. You should be able to confirm with the seller that it has the same connectors/model for your MBP. Cheaper than paying $500, I guess...

Forum Links
Forum Rules