Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fans Running Full Speed, CPU at 50-100%

Fans Running Full Speed, CPU at 50-100%
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 10:39 AM

Having a very strange problem with my MacBook. As of last night my fans always run at full speed and my CPU is being taxed heavily, although I'm not running any programs at all! I can't figure out what's going on, I've tried restarting and force quitting anything I see under "top" in the terminal, but nothing seems to work. Here's a picture of my Activity Monitor:

Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Am I going to have to reinstall my OS?!?!

Edit - And since I have no idea what the problem is I didn't know exactly where to put this. Mods feel free to move it if it should be in OS X or Software.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2008, 11:03 AM

Click on the "My Processes" pull-down menu and select "All Processes" instead to see if it is some system thing going crazy.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2008, 02:40 PM

My guess is an mds (Spotlight) thread

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 02:46 PM

Well it just stopped on its own. No idea what it was. I did check all processes (even ran top in the terminal which shows things the activity monitor sometimes doesn't) and nothing was shown to use that much cpu.

At least it's gone now though.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2008, 04:16 PM

Have you got a Canon printer?
Sometimes part of the printing software will hang and take up lots of CPU usage, causing the fans to run at a high speed.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 04:41 PM

Nope. No peripherals at all were connected and no printer drivers are installed. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out things like this but it totally had me stumped.

ibook_steve
Jan 12, 2008, 10:43 PM

I'd try to relaunch the Finder even though it says it's not using much CPU. There could be a copy or a trash empty in the background that's stuck or something. Relaunch the Finder and see if that helps.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I'd try to relaunch the Finder even though it says it's not using much CPU. There could be a copy or a trash empty in the background that's stuck or something. Relaunch the Finder and see if that helps.

Steve
It's gone now, but the problem persisted between one logout and two restarts. It wasn't a stuck finder process (which would've stopped with just the logout).

Chaseme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 11:21 PM

I'm having the exact same thing; the fan is running at a very high speed.

I do have a canon printer so I just deleted it off the activity monitor as it was listed under CPU as 100.
Now the fan is not spinning.

SInce this happened, the battery has run down very fast from full charge to no charge in about an hour.

I'll see what happens now since I deleted the printer activity.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 12:08 AM

I've been debating about posting this as well, but I"m getting it too.
C2D MacBook, 2.0, 2GB.

It SEEMS to be happening mostly when just browsing with Safari, but I don't know if that's correlation or causation, as I spend the vast majority of time just on Safari.
I'll be on forums, etc, and I'll hear my fans go crazy. I open iStat, 6300 RPM, with no tasks being reported that are taking up my CPU, and temps in the 170s.

I don't know what's up.

Cold Warrior
Jan 17, 2008, 12:15 AM

Are you showing all processes, not just user ones?

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2008, 12:24 AM

Yeah... chime me in for a 3rd. Haven't checked on the processes yet... being on drugs makes me lazy.. but then again...surfing the web stoned on vicodin is kinda fun. I'll say this though. I noticed the fans running the arabesque screensaver on leopard. I just got this macbook 2 days ago and I bumped the ram to 2gb. Got the next 2gb stick on the way. But this fan thing is kinda weird. I've got my macbook sitting on a really nice cooler pad w/ 2 standard sized fans from a PC case inside of it. I'm thinking I'm gonna get the core2duo temp widget thingy and keep an eye on my temps. I know the fans speed up in response to heat, but this just seems kinda weird. Didn't happen until I did the most current updates, come to think of it.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Chaseme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 02:35 PM

Yep, mine started acting up after the last update.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2008, 11:26 PM

This is getting annoying now, no idea what's causing it.. I've been paying more attention, trying to open Activity Monitor in time, but it never shows anything that should be causing it... Very odd.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 12:17 AM

Remember to check memory as well as processes. Running low on available memory will cause swapping, which will get the heard drive (and maybe some fans) whirring. It would probably not last very long, though....

Forum Links
Forum Rules