Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > .mac being re-branded. Maybe for PCs too?

.mac being re-branded. Maybe for PCs too? (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2008, 10:06 PM

Plus, it doesn't have to be an eyesore like MySpace.

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 10:10 PM

Facebook works just fine thanks

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Facebook works just fine thanks
Not all of us are 14.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Not all of us are 14.
Thank goodness those stick to MySpace. The average age on Facebook seems to be mid-twenties.

Most my friends are over 26:

(US average age on the rise: Facebook US user average age now 22.96 )

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 02:23 PM

I think I will wait to renew .mac until after WWDC, which starts on June 9th.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2008, 08:19 PM

I have a .mac email address, and have for years. I also have an iPhone that I've used intermittently since purchasing it in October of last year. I love it...but I keep switching back and forth between my iPhone and my BlackBerry Curve. The reason: Push email and wireless syncing of contacts/calendar. If the new .Mac (whatever they call it) will provide that functionality, I would sell my Curve on craigslist and never look back. As it stands...after a couple weeks of the iPhone I start jonesing for push email and switch back to the Curve.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
I have a .mac email address, and have for years. I also have an iPhone that I've used intermittently since purchasing it in October of last year. I love it...but I keep switching back and forth between my iPhone and my BlackBerry Curve. The reason: Push email and wireless syncing of contacts/calendar. If the new .Mac (whatever they call it) will provide that functionality, I would sell my Curve on craigslist and never look back. As it stands...after a couple weeks of the iPhone I start jonesing for push email and switch back to the Curve.
.Mac already supports push IMAP since, AFAIK, it runs Cyrus IMAP which was supported IDLE for a long time, it's the iPhone which doesn't properly support Push IMAP on anything but Yahoo services.

There is a server component for Blackberry, but I believe it is only used for sending notifications to Blackberry devices. I also understand that it is possible to get Push IMAP to work without such a component with proper client support (i.e. leaving the connection open in IDLE mode at all times). Another reason for the Blackberry server component such as the one for MS Exchange might be a technique to save battery life and network bandwidth - leaving an IMAP connection open at all times might be a little expensive in resources.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
.Mac already supports push IMAP since, AFAIK, it runs Cyrus IMAP which was supported IDLE for a long time, it's the iPhone which doesn't properly support Push IMAP on anything but Yahoo services.

There is a server component for Blackberry, but I believe it is only used for sending notifications to Blackberry devices. I also understand that it is possible to get Push IMAP to work without such a component with proper client support (i.e. leaving the connection open in IDLE mode at all times). Another reason for the Blackberry server component such as the one for MS Exchange might be a technique to save battery life and network bandwidth - leaving an IMAP connection open at all times might be a little expensive in resources.
What does this have to do with my post? I know the iPhone supports push email (via Yahoo at the moment). I'm saying that with my BlackBerry I get TRUE push email and wireless syncing of contacts and calendar. I'm saying that if the iPhone update supports .Mac email push natively as well as calendar/contact sync, I'll be a happy camper.
Chris

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 10:42 PM

cwosigns: I may have misunderstood or misread your post, I apologize if this is the case.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 10:57 AM

I have an iMac and a Macbook. I wish I could use iChat to video conference between them. Skype does it for free, how about it Apple?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 12:12 PM

.Mac successor for free ?

Will Steve Jobs Set Me Free? - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

Very speculative.

-t

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
.Mac successor for free ?

Will Steve Jobs Set Me Free? - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

Very speculative.

-t
Apple doesn't do much (if anything) for free anymore. Sigh.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
I have an iMac and a Macbook. I wish I could use iChat to video conference between them. Skype does it for free, how about it Apple?
Why can't you??

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 05:56 PM

Well I think they're definitely screwing around with the .mac servers or the dns relays because wifey and I have noticed many hiccups on our .mac accounts over the past 2 days. Right now I've got a message to her (from .mac TO .mac) that can't be sent and sits in my outbox...?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 06:09 PM

The red bar is pedophiles.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Why can't you??
How can I without having 2 .Mac accounts?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 07:29 PM

What if you sign up for a free AOL IM account and use it in iChat? Does the video chatting still work?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 07:57 PM

You can sign up for a .Mac trial account. The instant messaging functionality will never expire.

And by "never" I mean "not in the foreseeable future", which ends June 8th.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
What if you sign up for a free AOL IM account and use it in iChat? Does the video chatting still work?

It certainly used to work. Haven't tried it in awhile.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2008, 08:46 PM

Of course you can video chat between your two macs. You only require either a .Mac account, a .Mac trial account or a free AIM account. You can also bonjour chat between them with no accounts if they are on the same network.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 01:23 AM

Good article describing how .Mac can be a valuable cloud service for the iPhone even in its current form:
Newsvine - A Cloudy .Mac

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 03:57 AM

And to make it fairly obvious that an update is coming, Apple currently sends this e-mail out to subscribers who are up for a renewal soon:
Originally Posted by Apple
As you know, we've been enhancing .Mac to make your connected life even easier. .Mac makes it easy to share what you create with iLife '08 and publish with iWeb - Photocasts, blogs, podcasts, and other web pages. Your .Mac account includes 10 GB of combined iDisk and email storage, with options to upgrade to more. Your iDisk is accessible directly from the Mac OS X Finder and from a browser on any Internet-connected Mac or Windows PC. Backup 3 makes safeguarding your valuable files easy and convenient with features including one-step backup of photos, movies, and music. .Mac Groups lets you bring the groups you belong to online to share messages, calendars, group files and web pages. And .Mac provides a steady stream of discounts and member benefits on Mac-related software and services. Be assured, there's more to come in the year ahead.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 04:00 AM

AIM does it for free, too, and has for a LOT longer than Skype has been around.

Considering iChat is an AIM client, I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with this.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 10:12 AM

You can also bonjour chat between them with no accounts if they are on the same network.
How do you do this? Man I feel ignorant.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:14 AM

How do you do this? Man I feel ignorant.
I think you have to enable Bonjour in iChat first, look in the prefs.

Then you will see any Bonjour connected computers in the iChat windows, in a separate section.

-t

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 10:16 AM

If you're on the same LAN/WAN open up iChat. Bonjour (formerly Rendezvous) will log onto the network as your user, and see any other users also on the network.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 09:54 PM

There's definitely something going on with .Mac. Mail is down again:
Originally Posted by .Mac
Some members may be intermittently unable to access .Mac Mail using a desktop email application.

Members can use .Mac Mail on the web in the interim.

Service will be restored ASAP. We apologize for any inconvenience.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2008, 10:06 PM

Yeah. I'm having issues. There had better be a payoff.
Chris

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I think you have to enable Bonjour in iChat first, look in the prefs.

Then you will see any Bonjour connected computers in the iChat windows, in a separate section.

-t
Amazingly simple. Worked like a charm, thanks for the help! Now if I could get Mail to stop sending resource forks with pictures, I'd have another problem solved. But that's for another thread.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 01:15 PM

So, here it is. MobileMe is the push-centric replacement for dot-mac that will work on macs and PCs. Apple describes it as Exchange for the rest of us.

And Snow Leopard Server will apparently incorporate these new push features into iCal Server 2 and a new Address Book Server:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...e-mobile-mesh/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ge-sharepoint/
AppleInsider | Apple previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server
Amid iPhone din, Apple previews Snow Leopard Server

Besson: It looks like the Address Book Server will be based on the open-source vCard standard as you requested. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these developments. It seems that much of what we both had in mind came to pass: an Apple subscription-based consumer-oriented Exchange replacement (MobileMe), some open source compliments to iCal Server for contacts that can be used on other OSes (hinted at with Address Book Server, although perhaps this isn't as all-encompassing as you had hoped), and an OSX Server based solution for small businesses that Apple can market.

I wonder if MobileMe is using the same infrastructure that is going into Snow Leopard Server.

kman

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 01:29 PM

Just purchased .Mac on Amazon for $69. Estimated shipping date is June 27, 2008 - July 17, 2008. That sucks because my account renews on July 15th. I sent them an email for clarification.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
So, here it is. MobileMe is the push-centric replacement for dot-mac that will work on macs and PCs. Apple describes it as Exchange for the rest of us.

And Snow Leopard Server will apparently incorporate these new push features into iCal Server 2 and a new Address Book Server:
Apple’s Mobile Me Takes On Exchange, Mobile Mesh — RoughlyDrafted Magazine
Snow Leopard Server Takes on Exchange, SharePoint — RoughlyDrafted Magazine
AppleInsider | Apple previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server
Amid iPhone din, Apple previews Snow Leopard Server

Besson: It looks like the Address Book Server will be based on the open-source vCard standard as you requested. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these developments. It seems that much of what we both had in mind came to pass: an Apple subscription-based consumer-oriented Exchange replacement (MobileMe), some open source compliments to iCal Server for contacts that can be used on other OSes (hinted at with Address Book Server, although perhaps this isn't as all-encompassing as you had hoped), and an OSX Server based solution for small businesses that Apple can market.

I wonder if MobileMe is using the same infrastructure that is going into Snow Leopard Server.

kman

I think the combination of the Calendar Server and Address Book Server are magnificant ideas... I might take that back however if Apple doesn't make Address Book Server and open source project like they did with Calendar Server (available here, along with ZFS: Mac OS Forge). I fully understand starting small and keeping everything tightly controlled, but once these projects mature a little I think the bestest goal for Apple would be to get every major hosting provider to provide both Calendar and Address Book Server. Seeing that Apple has taken efforts to get Calendar Server to not only work with all CalDAV supported standalone clients, but with Yahoo's calendar system, it looks like they have in mind a more mass market penetration effort with these products, rather than limiting this to MobileMe or OS X Server.

Apple is clearly marketing their MS Exchange support for now, but you can bet that in a perfect world Apple would very much prefer to own this service so that it isn't a moving target, so that they don't have to pay MS licensing fees, and so that they have the flexibility to do with this as they wish. The only way to really compete with Exchange is to come up with another standard to really give it a run for its money, but there is no way that they can take on Exchange by limiting their presence to MobileMe and OS X Server. It seems clear that Apple understands this.

The design of these services both look great, I'm flattered that Apple took my advice

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 03:54 PM

^^ Oh brother. Tell me you're kidding.

I just watched the MobileMe walkthrough and I must say, calling the internet "The Cloud" is not at all cute. Maybe it was the first time, but Apple just made it totally annoying. Which was inevitable, I suppose.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 03:59 PM

I like clouds.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
i Just Watched The Mobileme Walkthrough And I Must Say, Calling The Internet "the Cloud" Is Not At All Cute. Maybe It Was The First Time, But Apple Just Made It Totally Annoying. Which Was Inevitable, I Suppose.
Care Bear Stare!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 04:52 PM

Besson: Any insights into the technical details behind MobileMe vs .mac? It seems to me that they likely had to do some major backend reconfiguration to get push working and to allow online editing of calendars, etc. .mac was based on just moving entire files back and forth, right? Whereas, it sounds like MobileMe may be hosting real calendar and contact servers. Are they using iCal Server and, perhaps, the new Address Book server? Was any of this discussed in greater detail at WWDC?

kman

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 05:12 PM

For every cloud, there is a silver lining. Just not sure what that is right now.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 05:32 PM

I just finished watching the keynote. They cut the ActiveStink joke!

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I just finished watching the keynote. They cut the ActiveStink joke!
It was there last night. And it didn't look like a joke. I think he honestly misspoke. They have obviously invested a lot in adding ActiveSync to the iPhone and it is pretty bad form for someone as high up as Phil to make such a crude joke.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Besson: Any insights into the technical details behind MobileMe vs .mac? It seems to me that they likely had to do some major backend reconfiguration to get push working and to allow online editing of calendars, etc. .mac was based on just moving entire files back and forth, right? Whereas, it sounds like MobileMe may be hosting real calendar and contact servers. Are they using iCal Server and, perhaps, the new Address Book server? Was any of this discussed in greater detail at WWDC?

kman
I don't know what MobileMe is doing, but I would imagine that they are running an early version of Address Book Server and Calendar Server version 1 or 2 or something in between. The actual server component is likely pretty simple, it's generalizing the code enough to be useful in a variety of environments (e.g. authentication, data store, etc.) that is most challenging, I would think. To basically tether these services to a single service provider (MobileMe) is probably not terribly difficult even though the Address Book Server code may not be complete, especially for a company like Apple. Microsoft's Exchange Labs server is running an alpha version of Exchange, so this kind of thing is not unprecedented.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 08:49 PM

Looks like I was right all along.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
^^ Oh brother. Tell me you're kidding.

I just watched the MobileMe walkthrough and I must say, calling the internet "The Cloud" is not at all cute. Maybe it was the first time, but Apple just made it totally annoying. Which was inevitable, I suppose.
Cloud computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 10:45 AM

The 'Me' in MobileMe looks very similar to the 'Me' in Windows ME.

http://www.dexternights.com/wp-conte.../windowsme.jpg

Apple - MobileMe

Too lazy to host the images this morning.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 07:02 PM

The 'Me' in MobileMe looks very similar to the 'Me' in Windows ME.

http://www.dexternights.com/wp-conte.../windowsme.jpg

Apple - MobileMe

Too lazy to host the images this morning.
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...2/#post3672160

Forum Links
Forum Rules