Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My New UPS Guy is Terrible

My New UPS Guy is Terrible
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 04:40 AM

I used to have a great UPS guy. He'd always leave packages in a bag if it might rain. He'd leave them discretely by the back door. Sometimes they'd be way around back on the deck. One time, the tracking said delivered but I couldn't find it. It was hidden behind the scoop of the snow shovel! Genius!

That's the old guy. What about the new guy?

I ordered $800 worth of equipment for a customer (24 port switch, airport, time capsule, etc). It got shipped in two separate deliveries. Just my luck, both days were rainy days. And both days, the packages were left on my uncovered front steps, in the pouring rain, with no protection at all. Plastic bag? Nope. Both boxes were turned to mush. All of the inner boxes were completely soaked. I've had to have Amazon resend all $800 worth of stuff. I am SO mad!

If any of the reshipments are sent UPS, I plan on writing a hilariously absurdly large note, put on the door, saying UPS: PLEASE STOP RUINING MY PACKAGES BY LEAVING THEM IN THE RAIN.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2013, 10:22 AM

Notify UPS that their driver left packages out in the rain, which is essentially "mishandling" them and makes UPS as the carrier liable for any damage. Yep, do it. Call corporate, not customer service.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2013, 11:30 AM

"Wasn't raining when I left it. If the guy wants direct signature, get direct signature."

My UPS guy is a jag, and owes me $20.

andi*pandi
Jun 11, 2013, 12:17 PM

Direct signature inevitably means having to drive to some remote warehouse for pickup, as they never deliver when you are home.

My UPS guy is good, he rings the doorbell to let us know something's delivered. We used to have a guy who would move things to the back porch if it was raining.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2013, 01:12 PM

I hate to say it, but we give ours Xmas gifts, usually gift cards. I've never had an issue with them and they often go above and beyond to ensure the safety of what they deliver.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2013, 01:24 PM

I had a City link guy who never once knocked on my door, then told his bosses he'd tried to deliver the parcel twice but somehow never left the calling card. Not an issue when you are expecting a package but this one was an eBay return from a dick who didn't tell me he was returning it. In fact he had agreed to send photos of the damage so I could claim on the insurance for it. I even told him he'd be able to keep it and get a refund if he did that. What a dick. (For anyone interested, Paypal eventually footed the bill since they agreed to refund him and I refused to reimburse them).
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 01:25 PM

I complained on the UPS facebook page, and they actually contacted me, took my info, and a little while later, i got a call from the local office. I was working so I couldn't take the call, but the voicemail said the driver was going to get a "sit down". So clearly all my packages from now on are going to be smashed and spit on, but hey that's the best I can do.

Our old guy used to be great! And we used to try to give him a christmas tip, but they always switch up the routes for the holidays, so around christmas time, we'd always have some random guy we've never seen before. The old guy used to hide packages (in a good way, from public view), and always put them in plastic bags if rain was even possibly in the forecast.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I hate to say it, but we give ours Xmas gifts, usually gift cards. I've never had an issue with them and they often go above and beyond to ensure the safety of what they deliver.
This is definitely a sound tactic. My dad used to give our (I'll use the american term for most other people's benefit) garbage men a crate of beer at christmas. They would take anything he left out for them the rest of the year. I tried to continue it but they come really early and If I left beer out overnight some local kid would have it away so I left them a note to knock on the door but they never bothered.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2013, 03:41 PM

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 11, 2013, 03:45 PM

Could be worse. You could live near Springfield, VA like me.

Virginia UPS sorter charged with stealing over 60 Apple devices | MacNN

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I don't give him presents, but I was unerringly pleasant to him until I broke his will to be an asshole.

My mailman however, is the cat's pajamas, and I hook him up with weed.

andi*pandi
Jun 11, 2013, 05:59 PM

I always worry that in leaving a present for the garbageman, it will be overlooked and thrown away, or stolen by the guy who goes through our recycleables. I don't know the garbagemen by name.

UPS guy: If I were a business who saw the same guy day after day and knew his name, def a tip would happen. As it is, even if say I knew I'd be getting a delivery, and left a gift for a driver who's been great, I don't know if it'll be Joe the Box Smasher's shift.

My mailman however, gets a gift card/cash every christmas, and he gives my dog treats whenever we see him. The dog loves him.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 06:13 PM

Call and bitch. The same thing was happening to us with both FedEx AND UPS - leaving packages in the rain, leaving stuff on the doorstep so that it blocked the front door, etc.

My boyfriend works from home full time. He's home ALL DAY. Idiots never bothered to ring the doorbell. He managed to run into the UPS guy one day and gave him an earful, and the dude has magically remembered to ring the doorbell ever since.

FedEx fared much worse. After leaving my IIci sitting on the front lawn all afternoon, I called corporate and demanded to speak to the site manager for my local ground shipping location. I wasn't very nice about it, but since my call, they haven't once left stuff sitting on our front lawn or in the rain.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2013, 06:15 PM

Ironically, I'm home, but by UPS guy doesn't want to pay me back the $20, so he stopped knocking and leaves everything at the cleaners next door.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2013, 08:04 AM

Both of amazon's re-shipments are coming via fedex. GENERALLY, I find UPS to be significantly better than fedex. I hate fedex and always opt for ups when I can. I think I just have a new driver, and the new driver is a retard.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
my IIci
NOICE!

Run 6.0.7 on it and hook it up to a greyscale Portrait Display, and you have one of the coolest Macintosh systems ever built.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2013, 10:03 AM

F no. DayStar 68040 CPU card and OS 8.1.

And networking. And I'm getting an adapter for the video card so I can hook up an LCD. \o/
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2013, 01:55 PM

What a shame.

Tiresias
Jun 12, 2013, 02:02 PM

Can't you have the items delivered to your workplace?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I complained on the UPS facebook page, and they actually contacted me, took my info, and a little while later, i got a call from the local office. I was working so I couldn't take the call, but the voicemail said the driver was going to get a "sit down". So clearly all my packages from now on are going to be smashed and spit on, but hey that's the best I can do.

Our old guy used to be great! And we used to try to give him a christmas tip, but they always switch up the routes for the holidays, so around christmas time, we'd always have some random guy we've never seen before. The old guy used to hide packages (in a good way, from public view), and always put them in plastic bags if rain was even possibly in the forecast.
Excellent! Squawking now and then is useful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tiresias
Jun 13, 2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
all my packages from now on are going to be smashed and spit on
No kidding.

As I student I worked in a five star restaurant as a dishwasher and let me tell you—I never, ever send food back to the kitchen!

Forum Links
Forum Rules