Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Computer Scientists At Work

Computer Scientists At Work
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 07:14 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3143608.stm

A new tool designed to create visuals and sound scapes from body movements has been developed by computer scientists in Hong Kong.

The aim of the Body-Brush project is to combine computer technology and art, with the artist themselves acting as the paintbrush.

Interesting? Yes. Usefulness? Well I'm not an expert, what do the artists/designers in here think?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 08:43 AM

It looks like he just lost his pen on the floor.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
It looks like he just lost his pen on the floor.

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 11:38 AM

Seems cool to me. Imagine watching a performance where the dancers aren't dancing to recorded music, they're creating it by their body movements.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 01:48 PM

Yet another art installation... who knows.

Instruments really become interesting when people start to master them. So whether anyone can or will get good 'playing' this thing remains to be seen.

Fun maybe, sure. But most things like this have a short life-span and people only get to dabble with them.

J

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 02:01 PM

The future of this could be a better trip than hallucinagens

I have been known to do art, and this would be getting right into what you are creating.

Damien hurst did a memorable one in the tate modern, where you walk into it....... The pharmacy it was called........ quite a good experience to walk into it and be "in" the art work. There where people in there saying "I dont get it" but you could actually walk into it it was like a real shop, where else has that been done , I thought. Plus it was a good visual experience, for me anyway...
i and i am an ideeot , yes

oLIVe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
LOL! i think its quite cool it would be even more interesting if we could see a video clip of that!!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 02:37 PM

We need more computer science. Need to boost Apple it's hardware and software!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by neigh-neigh-woo:
but you could actually walk into it it was like a real shop, where else has that been done ,
erm... in a shop?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 01:16 AM

instruments which translate body motion to sound have been around for at least 15-20 years.

-r.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 01:41 AM

To me it is unimportant if something has been done before or not. From that little demo, iTunes can easily generate this type of design. Or photoshop or whatever.

Who cares HOW you get the peice? Why does that even matter. What matters is the outcome.

As Judge_Fire said, only when you master a medium, can you truly create true works of art. Otherwise you're Jackson Pollock dripping paint on the canvas like my 1 year old could do. So what if he was the first one to do it, it looks like crap.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Otherwise you're Jackson Pollock dripping paint on the canvas like my 1 year old could do. So what if he was the first one to do it, it looks like crap.
Well, I'm not against experimentation and novelty value, though.

Pollock doing what he did was interesting as conceptual art, a thing of the moment. Same goes for cubism, pointillism, raytracing or any other technique - mindblowing back then, old today.

Some people like Pollock because 1) they enjoy color splotches, I like his stuff because 2) I like to imagine the stir he created (and creates) by doing what he did and some appreciate it because 3) it's what you're supposed to think.

So, deducting from above, it works 1) straight up, 2) conceptually and 3) socially.

With music, I can't really stand 2) and 3), which usually turn out as cacophonic experimentation and mainstream bs, respectively.

And with visual arts, I'm 2), the conceptual art guy

J

Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
instruments which translate body motion to sound have been around for at least 15-20 years.

-r.
80 or so, actually.

http://www.thereminworld.com/rcaregistry.asp
--

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 09:31 AM

Pollock was into doing the art, the kind of trance like state that you get when you are absorbed into something. thats what I like. Then I like the visual "eye candy" of looking at it later , but the main buzz for me would be in the doing.

The outcome for me is less important. Same wih music for me anyway, i like playing it right in the moment , i am doing it, you are lost in your own world especially relevant to improvisation, same with abstract art. Its my opinion only, but I think thats the place where good creations come from, away from the ego possibly and not trying for an end result especially.

This computer thing at the start of this thread is the same but combines abstract music and abstract art

Get to master it , and then you can get "lost" in it, and enjoy it..

----------------

erm... in a shop?
i dont know of any shop that has been set up in room of an art gallery before.

xjustbeautifulx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by neigh-neigh-woo:
Pollock was into doing the art, the kind of trance like state that you get when you are absorbed into something. thats what I like. Then I like the visual "eye candy" of looking at it later , but the main buzz for me would be in the doing.

The outcome for me is less important. Same wih music for me anyway, i like playing it right in the moment , i am doing it, you are lost in your own world especially relevant to improvisation, same with abstract art. Its my opinion only, but I think thats the place where good creations come from, away from the ego possibly and not trying for an end result especially.

This computer thing at the start of this thread is the same but combines abstract music and abstract art

Get to master it , and then you can get "lost" in it, and enjoy it..

----------------

i dont know of any shop that has been set up in room of an art gallery before.
How about the art gallery shop? They sell lots of neat stuff in it. Like books containing samples of the art work from the gallery in question. And u can get key rings too!!

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 06:30 PM

How about the art gallery shop? They sell lots of neat stuff in it. Like books containing samples of the art work from the gallery in question. And u can get key rings too!!

he's crazy that damien bloke

sorry- i am losing it on emoticons..

Forum Links
Forum Rules