Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread

Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread (Page 25)
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Manchungster:
How is the Ilap stand? Looking at getting one myself but not to keen on the icurve, as I want sth I can use as well just rest the PB on?
Hey I used to use the iBreeze also but I found that the design never let enough air under my beloved 12" PB and as a result the fan would turn on all the time.

Thus I took it into the shop and drilled a bunch of holes, and it works way better as the fan turns on less often, and now it even looks more interesting and even customized...

Thus I present to all of you my new creation...

iScrap.... (i.e., scrap metal)

However I am still using my custom copper holder as it looks cooler from the side and holds the PB at a more friendly angle on my desk...

blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Manchungster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
Hey I used to use the iBreeze also but I found that the design never let enough air under my beloved 12" PB and as a result the fan would turn on all the time.

Thus I took it into the shop and drilled a bunch of holes, and it works way better as the fan turns on less often, and now it even looks more interesting and even customized...

Thus I present to all of you my new creation...

iScrap.... (i.e., scrap metal)

However I am still using my custom copper holder as it looks cooler from the side and holds the PB at a more friendly angle on my desk...

Any pics of the copper holder would be pretty interested in seeing that. BTW any recommendations on PNB stands form anyone?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Manchungster:
Any pics of the copper holder would be pretty interested in seeing that. BTW any recommendations on PNB stands form anyone?
Pics of my copper setup are at the top of page 23.

With regards to your other question I am not sure what you mean by 'PNB'?

Manchungster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
Pics of my copper setup are at the top of page 23.

With regards to your other question I am not sure what you mean by 'PNB'?
My Bad, OOOps. I meant PB stands. Any recommendadtions?

Hanul
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 06:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by V12:
[B]New Pic.

Man, awesome gear, but did you ever hear about ergonomics? Printer on the floor and on the top shelf? How do you access the scanner? Stereo speakers 12" apart with the subwoofer next to them?

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Hanul:
Man, awesome gear, but did you ever hear about ergonomics? Printer on the floor and on the top shelf? How do you access the scanner? Stereo speakers 12" apart with the subwoofer next to them?
HAHA. I thought the same things. Also, chair with no back on it??? LOL. This is like one of those "What's wrong with this picture?" brain teasers.
Apple user since 1987

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by markclausing:
i only use it on my desk, not on my lap. As an iCurve would set it too high for my liking.
Could you tell me how high that stand is ?

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 10:43 AM

I don't see how so many of you people use external keyboards with your PowerBooks/iBooks. With my iBook, if I use an external keyboard, it puts the screen so far away from my face that it isn't as clear as if it's at the distance it is when you use the built-in keyboard (and I have 20x15 vision). So...I use the built-in keyboard.

I mean, think about it... If you use an external keyboard, you have the distances of the built-in keyboard, the built-in palm rest, the external keyboard, and your external palm rest. That's pretty far to have the screen away from you, IMO.
Apple user since 1987

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 10:47 AM

You're sure your eyesight is ok ?
I think it's pretty easy to read at that distance. And besides, the internal keyboard is complete crap for long periods of typing.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 10:52 AM

The PB on an iCurve with an external keyboard and mouse is perfect for serious work/writing.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 11:17 AM

simplicity&another self-designed stand...

12" revC pb/edirol pcr-1/mackie hr824's/kensington bluetooth mouse
etc etc

stand allows air under powerbook (radio shack a$1.59)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 11:58 AM

edit. duplicate post.
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Oct 29, 2004 at 08:02 PM. )

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
I think it's pretty easy to read at that distance.
hehehe...yeah, eyesight is good. I think it might have to do with the fact that I don't have a stand that raises the computer up to a better height. So I'm looking way down, thus making it even farther away.

OK, so I need to look at the iCurve again. BTW, what are some good palm rests that match the Apple Bluetooth keyboard?
Apple user since 1987

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
I think it's pretty easy to read at that distance. And besides, the internal keyboard is complete crap for long periods of typing.
I think that the PB keyboard is great for extended use. At least for my finger/hand size.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 07:15 PM

quote"Man, awesome gear, but did you ever hear about ergonomics? Printer on the floor and on the top shelf? How do you access the scanner? Stereo speakers 12" apart with the subwoofer next to them?"

yea i took that pic the next day after assembling everything
the chair broke in the process...i got a new nicer one
where the creature speakers were is where the scanner is now, and for the printer on the floor its now on the left of the desk (near that little globe)
spekaers are on each side of the laptop, and woofer is on the floor

ill take pics when i get my new camer (if i get it) if not ill take it when i get a chance, i should be free for most of november (more days off then school days !!! )

Alfonso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 07:26 PM

My room is very messy right now, but I just got my first digital camera, so I took a picture.

Powerbook G4 15"
1.33 Ghz
512 ram

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 06:08 PM

hi guys! i'm new to this board and this was the first post that caught my attention. man some of you guys have some seriously badass setups! (and i wasted about an hour looking through the 20+ pages of posts to check it out =x) anyways heres my humble setup....

as for the sun keyboard... my apple pro keyboard decided to stop working (it works for the first 5 minutes or so then it stops cant figure out for the life of me whats wrong...), whats great is the volume control keys, help and the sleep buttons actually work

specs: 1 ghz Pbook, 768 RAM, 40 gig HD, 32meg Nvidia, Airport Extreme, superdrive, and macally BT mouse
desktop (really old): 1ghz athlon (declocked 1.33), 1 Gig RAM, 40 gig HD, Voodoo3 3000(!!), DVD 5x, CDRW 16x
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

johnzoidberg
Oct 31, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Alfonso:
My room is very messy right now, but I just got my first digital camera, so I took a picture.
Awesome poster.

Originally posted by crazeazn:
as for the sun keyboard... my apple pro keyboard decided to stop working (it works for the first 5 minutes or so then it stops cant figure out for the life of me whats wrong...), whats great is the volume control keys, help and the sleep buttons actually work
Is the Sun keyboard USB?

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by johnzoidberg:
Awesome poster.

Is the Sun keyboard USB?
yup! i got it cheap at a swap meet, it would be really neat if i could use all the miscellaneous keys on the left side....."stop again props undo front copy open paste find cut"
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 06:40 AM

Here

and

here.

Still a little untidy but it's getting there. I do need a good chair and I want to tidy up the wires (though I often just to to the couch or outside on the porch) to work/surf.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 09:26 AM

[/B]
and the black keyboard is a Silicon Graphics one, very cool and kinda similar to the one my Octane2 has, have you had an intel based SGI ?

IanChar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 01:01 PM

as for the sun keyboard...
Would you be able to post a pic of the keyboard by it self? I have never seen a SUN keyboard.
My Macs:
1.25 Ghz G4/256MB/80GB/Combo eMac
1.33 Ghz G4/512MB/60GB/Combo iBook
My Manga,Blog

U2 iPod! I have it!!

Dr.Michael
Nov 1, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
You are the first I saw who also uses a Sarotech hardbox.
How noisy is yours?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 12:29 AM

I also have a Western Digital external and that is quiter, but I don't find the sarotech that noisy. Of course, I usually have iTunes on at the same time.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:59 PM

25 pages, 1224 replies and still no stickie? Can we atleast have a reason?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:32 PM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 06:11 PM

Nicely Done.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 06:41 PM

Here is my setup. Not as good compared to some I've seen in this thread...

12" PowerBook Rev.B 1GHz 768 40GB 32MBvRAM SuperDrive
Kensington Wireless Optical mouse.
iPod Photo 40GB w/ Apple Carrying Case
Samsung x427
some Polk Audio speakers I stole from my old PC

A shot of my setup.

A close up of the cleverly hidden USB transmitter/receiver thingy. I gotta change those batteries :S.

A close up of my new baby iPod Photo in its crib (dock)!

Sorry the quality is so horrible, taken with my old Sharp digiCamcorder.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Randman:

Here

and

here.

Still a little untidy but it's getting there. I do need a good chair and I want to tidy up the wires (though I often just to to the couch or outside on the porch) to work/surf.
Smack me if someone has mentioned it already but it's strange that you would use a USB overhead light for a Powerbook that has a backlit keyboard. What's up with that?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
Smack me if someone has mentioned it already but it's strange that you would use a USB overhead light for a Powerbook that has a backlit keyboard. What's up with that?
Good catch. I don't, but I have the light from my iBook days. I was just trying to get as many of the toys in the shot (such as my 40GB iPod AND my Mini).

Ormnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 12:28 AM

I do not yet have my new 17" 1.5GHz Powerbook, but this is the new stand a friend of mine and I made in about three hours. It is made from 6061 Aluminum and is 1" x .375" bar and 12" dia x .25" thick plate for the base. What do you all think? I made it because all of the options that I found out there just didn't seem up to the task of holding such an awesome piece of art. Will post pictures of the Powerbook on it when it arrives on monday.

Front Image
Side Image
Back Image

UPDATE: After a year of debate I have decided to begin producing these stands. They have a couple improvements and may be purchased from the following site.

www.deskstands.net
( Last edited by Ormnik; Mar 5, 2006 at 07:15 PM. Reason: New information)
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / Elgato USB EyeTV
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz / 2Gb / 80 Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / 64Mb Video / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / 60Gb 5G video iPod / 8Gb 2G Nano --
1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini / 512Mb / 80Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / 800W Pioneer 5.1 Sound System / InFocus IN72 DLP Projector / 500Gb External Drive

silver10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 01:43 AM

Thats one amazing stand mate! Very nice!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2004, 02:10 AM

The stand looks nice, but unless you have an iBook, you might want to get something like the radtech cushions juts so you don't have metal on metal and risk scratching your PB at all.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 03:09 AM

Or maybe something to keep it from slipping off and falling on to your table or even worse off the edge on the floor.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Ormnik:
I do not yet have my new 17" 1.5GHz Powerbook, but this is the new stand a friend of mine and I made in about three hours. It is made from 6061 Aluminum and is 1" x .375" bar and 12" dia x .25" thick plate for the base. What do you all think? I made it because all of the options that I found out there just didn't seem up to the task of holding such an awesome piece of art. Will post pictures of the Powerbook on it when it arrives on monday.

Front Image
Side Image
Back Image
Damned impressive! How much do you want for a 15" version?
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 01:01 PM

^Ditto.

althou i fear our powerbooks will slide right off without some sort of sticky pad on it.
Ryan

Ormnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 03:25 PM

The Powerbook's rubber feet match the center of the arms and will not slide off. Also the feet keep it off of the aluminum, so it does not touch it. Why does everyone think it is going to scratch the bottom of the Powerbook? Does your Powerbook get scratched by putting it on a table? The answer is probably no if you have the rubber feet on the Powerbook.
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / Elgato USB EyeTV
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz / 2Gb / 80 Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / 64Mb Video / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / 60Gb 5G video iPod / 8Gb 2G Nano --
1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini / 512Mb / 80Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / 800W Pioneer 5.1 Sound System / InFocus IN72 DLP Projector / 500Gb External Drive

d.fine
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 03:42 PM

Nice !! I want one for my 15" ....

(I really do)

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 03:48 PM

Front Image
Side Image
Back Image
beautiful...lets hope tho that paramount doesn't sue you for using the star trek ship design...

btw you gotta go easy with the drill! (there's holes in the wall)

nice,
really!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Hoops Coach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 05:37 PM

Front Image
Side Image
Back Image
That is awesome....I really like that. I agree with the person tat said somethingto keep metal to metal contact but it is really a nice stand. I think I will head to the shop this weekend and fabricate a similar stand....imatation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Pictures were good....want to share any dimensions???

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2004, 06:17 PM

Wow. How much for a 12" version

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2004, 03:54 AM

I'm also interested in a 12" version, when can I order
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 6, 2004, 04:10 AM

i want a 15" one. as long as you make sure PBs don't slide off the thing.
Ryan

Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2004, 07:43 AM

Sweden proudly present: PB G4 867 + iBook G3 500

Do not do anything today, which
someone else can do tomorrow..

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2004, 03:51 PM

Snyggt, fast ett ganska dyrt s�tt att ha en FW h�rddisk

Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2004, 04:07 PM

Hahaha.. Aaa, det kostar att ligga p� topp

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Agazzie:
Sweden proudly present: PB G4 867 + iBook G3 500

what kind of stand is that for your powerbook

Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 04:36 AM

It's a stand called Frosty, made by the company Matting. Frosty (Just remember that it's swedish crowns, not USD. 495SEK is about 70-80USD)

Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 04:37 AM

My couch

From the left to the right: iBook G3, iBook G3, PowerBook G4 titanium, PowerBook G4 Alu.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 06:06 AM

Nice

Forum Links
Forum Rules