Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Should I Update to 9.1 or Not

Should I Update to 9.1 or Not
Eluna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2001, 05:38 PM

I am just wandering if it is really woth it for me or not.
I heard that this update is to smoothen up the transition from 9.0 to X.
I don t have any intetion on upgrading to X in the near future so I am missing out something if I don t update to 9.1?

muttfree
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2001, 08:56 PM

Well, the major improvements with 9.1 include speed optimizations, stability enhancements, and overall better performance. Also included were some minor file system re-organization as a prelude to make the transistion to OS X smoother. Even if you are not going to move to X any time soon, it is a worthwhile upgrade. And whenever you do move to X, 9.1 is used as a basis for the classic environment anyway, so you will either have to have it already installed, or install it from the CD that is included with the X CD to be able to run classic apps.

On my B&W G3, it has been the most stable system version of any that I have run, all the way back to 8.6 that came loaded on the machine, though I never really had any problems with any of them, aside from a few extension conflicts and such.

I say go for it, as long as you have downloaded all the applicable system and application updates FIRST, and of course, have a complete system back-up (first rule of ANY & ALL OS upgrades ! )

HTH
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 15, 2001, 11:15 AM

Well, if you're running OS 9.0, you might as well update to 9.1, as it basically offers stability and speed enhancements. Nothing major, of course, so you're really not "missing out" on anything at all.

If you're not going to upgrade to X, then 9.1 is not so relevant. If you do decide to go for it, I would strongly suggest making a complete backup of your OS 9 System Folder and the rest; 9.1 has come with a huge "YMMV" tag on it. Some people have great results, others haven't.

Besides, Apple's working on OS 9.2, so you may just want to wait a few months and see what that's like. The way I think is -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're running OS 9 stably, don't touch your system. Mac OS 9.2 may be something to look at since it's coming out in a matter of a few months, but OS 9.1 isn't really a big deal upgrade (especially since it's not a universally great upgrade; some have had bad experiences with it), especially if you're not upgrading to X (which is the Big Kahuna of upgrades .

HTH

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2001, 11:35 AM

I upgraded to 9.1 on my Cube and I am very, very happy with it. I can't recall a crash with it, although I use apps that are fairly recent. 9.1 feels a little more responsive then 9.0.4 did.

I have the full copy of 9.1 so I backed up my files, formatted, and did a clean install.

Note that there are things that you get with the full version of 9.1 that you don't with the update (downloadable) version. MacfixIt has a good article on this, as well as a list of issues.

Good Luck!!

Agent69
Agent69

Flurk
Apr 15, 2001, 12:05 PM

I recommend to update to 9.1.
It's optimized for speed and some bugs are fixed.
OS 9.1 and 8.6 were the most stable systems I ever used.
(8.6 was slightly faster on my 8100 and on my G3 beige 333 - except for the internet )

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2001, 03:34 PM

9.1 is very stable and a bit faster on my Powermac G4. I upgraded from 9.0.4 and the stability improved greatly. I highly recommend 9.1. All the apps I'm using are recent versions, so perhaps that's why I didn't have any problems with 9.1.

I didn't do a clean install, just used the downloadable upgrade. Worked like a charm. I manually upgraded my startup disk and DVD player to the versions that ship with 9.1.

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2001, 06:09 PM

recommended!
updated to 9.1, updated any available apps as well (ie techtool, conflict catcher)

my favorite system since 8.6, fast, stable...

of course your mileage may vary
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules