Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Zombie Simpsons

Zombie Simpsons
subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 03:01 PM

Zombie Simpsons: How the Best Show Ever Became the Broadcasting Undead | Dead Homer Society

Interesting (but long) article on the history of the Simpsons. Good stuff on the early days of FOX, too.

He presents a convincing case it's almost impossible to get good writers for an 8+ year old show. It's a far more difficult job than writing for a younger show, and it's at a time when a show is past its rating peak, and hence doesn't have the money to throw around they once did.

Via r/truereddit.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 6, 2013, 08:41 AM

Very good article. I agreed with almost everything it said. The author did mention the animation once briefly but glossed over it after that. To me that's also an important part of when the Simpsons died.
Initially the S1 animation was very slapdash but it got much better very quickly and from season 3 to 6/7 it's really excellent with some lovely free form art and great characterisation. It's really almost a character in itself and certainly adds immensely to the actual characters.

The current blando cgi aided art is just shocking. You can see that the budgets hit the floor. The art is almost like bad fan art and the cgi jars badly.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2013, 12:40 PM

I just read the whole thing. Great work. It perfectly and thoroughly summed up exactly what went wrong.

The show really did hit a wall. I think I fall into the camp that still considers seasons 7-9 some grade A stuff, but it is true that you can see the show changing in those years.

It's too bad they more or less stopped the discussion before the current years, which are actually a little better. Well, not a lot better, just better in contrast to seasons 11-19 or whatever. I'm not sure when they got better, because I don't watch regularly anymore.

Part of the problem is that there really is nowhere to go with these characters and this world. It's all been done before... 5 or 6 times at this point.

I also would like to hear what this guy would have to say about the movie. God, I hated... HATED... that movie. HATED IT. It was like watching one of the worst episodes stretched out over an hour and a half with bad looking super glossy animation. Everything that was wrong about Zombie Simpsons was magnified and put right out in front for that horrible movie. Barf.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 12:52 PM

I know I'm going against the grain here, but I kinda like the zombie Simpsons.

I like brutal satire, but I also like wacky escapism.

For example, I recall liking the movie. Can't for the life of me recall anything else about it though...

Okay. I remember the rock and a hard place gag and Spider Pig, but I couldn't give you an analysis of why I was entertained.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2013, 12:55 PM

I can't wait for the day the sales finally die off and I can watch them on Netflix.

Fox should just rub it in and release the double-digit seasons on Instant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Very good article. I agreed with almost everything it said. The author did mention the animation once briefly but glossed over it after that. To me that's also an important part of when the Simpsons died.
Initially the S1 animation was very slapdash but it got much better very quickly and from season 3 to 6/7 it's really excellent with some lovely free form art and great characterisation. It's really almost a character in itself and certainly adds immensely to the actual characters.

The current blando cgi aided art is just shocking. You can see that the budgets hit the floor. The art is almost like bad fan art and the cgi jars badly.
I specifically remember the episode where I realized how good the animation had become. It was the episode where Bart wins an elephant. For half of it, the elephant was just standing there, with these perfectly timed blinks.

Simple, but by no means simplistic.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It's too bad they more or less stopped the discussion before the current years, which are actually a little better. Well, not a lot better, just better in contrast to seasons 11-19 or whatever. I'm not sure when they got better, because I don't watch regularly anymore.
My impression was that there was a big downward spiral leading up to the movie, at which point the show rebounded and started creeping back up. I attributed this to the writers putting whatever talent they had into the movie at the expense of the show, and once the movie was out the door, the show started getting some attention again. I felt the same phenomenon with the Family Guy (resurrection) when American Dad was first starting -- the creative attention to Family Guy had clearly left the room.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I know I'm going against the grain here, but I kinda like the zombie Simpsons.
For example, I recall liking the movie.
Me too. It's probably more about nostalgia than talent at this point, but I'm ok with that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
My impression was that there was a big downward spiral leading up to the movie, at which point the show rebounded and started creeping back up. I attributed this to the writers putting whatever talent they had into the movie at the expense of the show, and once the movie was out the door, the show started getting some attention again. I felt the same phenomenon with the Family Guy (resurrection) when American Dad was first starting -- the creative attention to Family Guy had clearly left the room.
Though not explicitly mentioned in the article, going off of the insight it gives on how the system works, they may have hired old writers who had burnt out and quit. I would imagine they'd get a nice salary for a closed-ended amount of work, they have experience (both as writers, and as writers for The Simpsons), and have recovered most of their mojo for working with this property again.

That's just a guess though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I stopped watching consistently about half a dozen years ago. Still, I'd rather watch Zombie Simpsons than the various "reality" shows or soap operas like Grey's Anatomy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 02:24 PM

That's the thing. For all the appropriateness of title "zombie" for the show, as of the last time I watched (5 years ago?) it didn't exactly suck or anything. I'm willing to cut it some slack for not being groundbreaking some 15 years in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2013, 02:55 PM

That last time I watched, which was probably a decade ago, I might have managed one or two laughs. Its terrible.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 03:05 PM

I felt it was more half a good show. Taken as a whole, they were incoherent. They would have three separate stories which they barely tried to link in a linear fashion. One of them would be good, and that one was usually the longest.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2013, 03:17 PM

I felt it was more half a good show. Taken as a whole, they were incoherent. They would have three separate stories which they barely tried to link in a linear fashion. One of them would be good, and that one was usually the longest.
I remember that being one of my criticisms. Homer will have idea A, which fails causing B, and at some point they'll just wander into C. Awful.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 04:37 PM

Depends on the context. I'm not sure what you expect from an old show.

Should it have been canceled? Or is it okay for the people who are okay with it? It's not like they were destroying canon.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2013, 04:38 PM

Yeah, I keep feeling like Milhouse's "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory?" <cries>. The classic, well-crafted episodes would bring back the plot from the beginning into the end somehow, and they never do that anymore. Of course, they realize they're doing this, and they just don't care. After I came to terms with that fact, it doesn't bother me as much. Now it's more of a surprise if they do it, instead of a disappointment when they don't.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2013, 04:41 PM

Should it have been canceled? Or is it okay for the people who are okay with it? It's not like they were destroying canon.
Agree, and also I'm pretty sure they're not displacing any new show that would be better. In fact I suspect that they create some kind of conceptual stability off of which other new shows can bud. I don't think the other various animated shows aired on Fox Sunday would have lasted as long as they have without the Simpsons as a lead-in, even the crappy version of the Simpsons.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 04:47 PM

The article hypothesizes the same thing. The Sunday lineup is hugely successful for FOX, and the Simpsons has always been the anchor. No interest in rocking the boat.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Yeah, I keep feeling like Milhouse's "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory?" <cries>. The classic, well-crafted episodes would bring back the plot from the beginning into the end somehow, and they never do that anymore. Of course, they realize they're doing this, and they just don't care. After I came to terms with that fact, it doesn't bother me as much. Now it's more of a surprise if they do it, instead of a disappointment when they don't.
Exactly. That's the wavelength they're on. Take it or leave it. You're not going to get far if you refuse to sync up with that.

andi*pandi
May 6, 2013, 05:27 PM

A lot of good points. More cute /less sarcastic. Simpsons is no longer must watch tv for us... the dvr records it, but we frequently end up watching a month or so later when there's nothing else we've recorded we like better. Same with family guy or american dad. I actually more actively dislike those shows though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2013, 10:47 PM

I laugh more at Family Guy, but it's pretty lowbrow.

I do always fall for the gag of Brian suddenly acting like a dog, or Stewie acting like an infant.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 7, 2013, 08:25 AM

I laugh more at Family Guy, but it's pretty lowbrow.

I do always fall for the gag of Brian suddenly acting like a dog, or Stewie acting like an infant.
Family guy always goes for the cheap/easy laughs. Sure you may chuckle, but 20 seconds later you can't remember why.

Even years later, just thinking about the 7 rakes gag makes me laugh out loud.
Simpsons - Sideshow bob steps on rakes - YouTube

I guess the point of the article isn't if the Simpsons should be cancelled/allowed to die, but more that whatever we have now it isn't the Simpsons of old. Of course while FOX are still in the black with it it will carry on and on and on and on...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 09:20 AM

Yes. People point out how Homer has become a parody of himself.

Case in point - Futurama. I went through the last season on Netflix barely cracking a smile some episodes. Then they announced the cancellation. Fine by me. I'd rather see it go away that just drag on being unfunny.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 7, 2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

Case in point - Futurama. I went through the last season on Netflix barely cracking a smile some episodes. Then they announced the cancellation. Fine by me. I'd rather see it go away that just drag on being unfunny.
I agree. Far better to finish a show at it's peak rather than let it limp along. But then I don't actually own a show that makes money hand over fist, so I don't get a say in it. This is one of the best things about the BBC, they are happy to pull the plug on stuff when it's done artistically, rather than when it dies commercially. Even if that usually leaves fans wanting more.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 11:33 AM

Doesn't Futurama have canon after a fashion?

Is The Simpsons that bad (honest question)?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 11:53 AM

Is The Simpsons that bad (honest question)?
C'mon dude. This question was answered long before you started the thread.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 11:56 AM

Maybe you were using hyperbole, but you said you struggled to crack a smile with Futurama. Last time I watched The Simpsons, it just wasn't that bad. I actually laughed a few times without effort.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 11:59 AM

Maybe you were using hyperbole, but you said you struggled to crack a smile with Futurama. Last time I watched The Simpsons, it just wasn't that bad. I actually laughed a few times without effort.
Dead Homer Society Manifesto | Dead Homer Society
The program on Fox that bills itself as “The Simpsons” bears only the faintest resemblance to our favorite television show of all time. Today it is a hollow shell, over animated, under thought out, and thoroughly mediocre. The sooner it ends the better off we’ll all be.
How bad does a TV show have to be to inspire this?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:02 PM

It's a relative statement.

The first decade of The Simpsons literally rewrote television. Futurama was just a funny show with nerd appeal.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 12:06 PM

FFS. Accept the answer.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:06 PM

And I'll note the "Matt Groening" style animated show wasn't exactly a groundbreaking idea when Futurama came along.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:07 PM

FFS. Accept the answer.
I have no problem accepting the answer from someone who's actually watched the show in the last five years.

Fair?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 12:20 PM

I have no problem accepting the answer from someone who's actually watched the show in the last five years.

Fair?
Think about why this situation exists in the first place.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:24 PM

I didn't stop because it was agonizingly bad, force a smile. It just wasn't great.

I don't have cable anymore. What does that say about everything else on TV?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 12:26 PM

I didn't stop because it was agonizingly bad, force a smile. It just wasn't great.

I don't have cable anymore. What does that say about everything else on TV?
Or other forms of entertainment? or your priorities?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:38 PM

Tiny sample is tiny.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:40 PM

Was The Simpsons part of your childhood? I'm trying to divine what's making you flip your shit about this.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 12:41 PM

Flip my shit?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:42 PM

Yes. Flip your shit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 12:47 PM

Where?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:47 PM

In my book, if someone makes a request as inoffensive as asking for an opinion from within the last half-decade, the person trying to shoot that down is flipping their shit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 12:55 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 12:57 PM

Now post Futurama, and we'll be somewhere.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 12:58 PM

What does Futurama have to do with the Simpsons sucking?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 01:05 PM

In my book, if someone makes a request as inoffensive as asking for an opinion from within the last half-decade, the person trying to shoot that down is flipping their shit.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 01:05 PM

Ummm...

It's because this whole tangent has been about whether The Simpsons currently sucks as bad as Futurama.

You described how awful the experience was of watching Futurama. I asked "is The Simpsons that bad?"

This is a direct request for comparison and contrast.

Just what do you think we were talking about?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 01:11 PM

Just what do you think we were talking about?
Should it have been canceled?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 01:22 PM

And you used Futurama as evidence for your position.

I challenge(d) the validity of that evidence.

Shall I repeat my challenge?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 01:39 PM

And you used Futurama as evidence for your position.
The Futurama note wasn't evidence; It was a situation where my opinion mirrored my regard for The Simpsons. Remove that line if you find it distracting – the overall point of that post doesn't change.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2013, 01:53 PM

Remove that line if you find it distracting – the overall point of that post doesn't change.
Except for the part where that's what I've been discussing over the last dozen posts. Thanks for your permission to ignore it. You're swell.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 02:02 PM

Except for the part where that's what I've been discussing over the last dozen posts. Thanks for your permission to ignore it. You're swell.
Well I didn't realize you somehow saw it as evidence for some reason. You kept brining it up and I kept ignoring it because it has nothing to do with The Simpsons sucking.

I thought I was pretty clear here too

So what now?

Forum Links
Forum Rules