Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > value of a 12" revA

value of a 12" revA
thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 11:29 AM

a coworker is selling his old 12" to help cover the cost of his new 15"

12"/867mhz/40gb hd/640mb/combo/AE/panther full/ radtech powersleeve/ new keyboard and new battery w/ CompUSA gold warrenty till 04/2006

He offered it to me for $900 and I im thinking of getting it for my mother to use as something to replace her constantly crashing celeron. she already has an external screen to use and keyboard and mouse so she can use it as a desktop replacement. Is this a good deal, if so give me some feedback to convince my father to buy it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 12:18 PM

Seems like a good deal to me. I've seen 12" Rev A's selling for lots more on ebay. Snatch it up seeing how the Rev A superdrive is selling for 1999 as a refurb on Apples site, with less ram and no goodies.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

hodaddy
Apr 28, 2004, 01:30 PM

i'd say that's a hellova deal.

i'd pay that much just for a 'book w/o panther or the slipcase, keyboard, battery or warranty if only it had a superdrive. so, you have to weigh the cost of that. still, sounds like a great deal.
if it aint' broke, break it.

t.hill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 01:37 PM

sorry to go off topic, but you can replace the keyboard on your laptop?!

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by t.hill:
sorry to go off topic, but you can replace the keyboard on your laptop?!
sure, buy one off ebay, then take off the f1, f2, f11 and f12. there are stickers between the f1 and f2 keys, and the f11 and f12 keys. peel those off and theirs a screw under that. a torx i believe, or a hex. then pull out the keyboard like you would an ibook or tibook.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
sure, buy one off ebay, then take off the f1, f2, f11 and f12. there are stickers between the f1 and f2 keys, and the f11 and f12 keys. peel those off and theirs a screw under that. a torx i believe, or a hex. then pull out the keyboard like you would an ibook or tibook.
It's a tiny Phillips, use a 0 size driver. And make sure to pry the keys up from the left side and not the right, they come off much more easily that way.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

t.hill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 06:21 PM

Thanks fellas, that's good to know. That's something that was really bothering me about buying this laptop. It seems like no matter how much you try it's almost impossible to keep a keyboard looking great after a year or two, so this is a huge relief.

Great news.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 11:15 PM

by two or three years, out computers will be so obsolete. i will probably just buy a new one by then, unless this one doesn't get as obsolete as fast as my ibook.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules