Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snap a shot of your OS X desktop and post it!

Snap a shot of your OS X desktop and post it! (Page 8)
mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Gatorzx2:
Are you kidding? That is a pathetic Windows XP desktop trying (but failing) to imitate a Mac.

Oh. Yikes. There's windoze users among us? Scary. I've gotta go now. My mom said I wasn't allowed to play with their kind.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Hi I'm Mike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 11:50 PM

LETS KEEP THUMBNAILING THESE PICTURES! MAKE THIS USER FRIENDLY FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!

*bold.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 12:46 AM

[snip]
( Last edited by Stradlater; Jan 21, 2003 at 02:45 AM. )

MinivanH8R
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2002, 02:26 AM

Hehehe.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 02:40 AM

i am so confused.

daftpig
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
When Steve Jobs says: no icons on the desktop, I listen

http://www.hi.is/~uni/Bilde_1.jpg

[edit: too huge for inline]
Is that a OS X version of the MS Word 2001 icon? How may I get it?

Thankie!

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2002, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by daftpig:

Is that a OS X version of the MS Word 2001 icon? How may I get it?
You can get it from MS Word 2001. Bizarrely they made the icons OS X friendly although the apps only run under classic...

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2002, 07:24 AM

Here's my work mac:

The blurry grey entity is my first (unborn) nipper, at about thirteen weeks, courtesy of my gf Katie
( Last edited by wulf; Dec 9, 2002 at 07:34 AM. )

daftpig
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by wulf:

You can get it from MS Word 2001. Bizarrely they made the icons OS X friendly although the apps only run under classic...
Okie. Thanks again!
They look so much better!

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2002, 09:06 AM

I'd really like to use that icon, and if the rest of the Office 2001 icons are in the same style, those too, rather than the ones that come with Office v.X. Do you know of anywhere I could download them from? Of could you maybe use Iconographer to save them as .icns files and post them for download / email them to me?

Thanks,
Simon
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

gruhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Gatorzx2:

Are you kidding? That is a pathetic Windows XP desktop trying (but failing) to imitate a Mac.
HAHAHAHAH...Damn! The title of the pic is "Just Messin'"

I was joking, I had a feeling I would get a zealous response from the Church of Steve though.

Amen brother,
Gruhead

Avon
Senior User
Dec 9, 2002, 07:54 PM

Click Pic for Full Size:

Im on a FreeBSD kick right now. Beastie is king! Long live Beastie!

strepidus
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 03:10 AM

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by megasad:

I'd really like to use that icon, and if the rest of the Office 2001 icons are in the same style, those too, rather than the ones that come with Office v.X. Do you know of anywhere I could download them from? Of could you maybe use Iconographer to save them as .icns files and post them for download / email them to me?

Thanks,
Simon
here you go...

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2002, 01:06 PM

2nd try:

"This is fun, right?"

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2002, 01:43 PM

here you go...
Thanks, except that the file I download isn't working; when I try to unstuff it, Stuffit Expander 7.0.1 bounces in the dock and then closes without doing anything. If I open it with Stuffit Deluxe 7.0.1, it says, "The Stuffit Engine was unable to determine the file format (17514)". It's meant to be only 559 bytes?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

iMacZee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 02:04 PM

Here's mine : ClicK Me -

naah - here is my other one : iBook 600 Combo

gruhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 08:20 PM

( Last edited by gruhead; Dec 10, 2002 at 08:25 PM. )

ambush
Banned
Dec 10, 2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by gruhead:
What apps did you use to mod your osx??
Looks so nice.

drspock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

Looks so nice.
That's not OS X

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 12:34 AM

Actually, there are a few XP themes out there for OS X.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 08:40 AM

Thanks, except that the file I download isn't working; when I try to unstuff it, Stuffit Expander 7.0.1 bounces in the dock and then closes without doing anything. If I open it with Stuffit Deluxe 7.0.1, it says, "The Stuffit Engine was unable to determine the file format (17514)". It's meant to be only 559 bytes?
No it's 104KB, sounds like your DL went screwy Try DLing again...

(Just tested DL again & works fine on this Mac, so file is OK)

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 08:54 AM

Here's my home mac:

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 08:57 AM

No it's 104KB, sounds like your DL went screwy Try DLing again...

(Just tested DL again & works fine on this Mac, so file is OK)
Hoom. Seems that both Internet Explorer 5.2.2 and Speed Download 1.9.2 don't like what you've done; all they download is a 559 byte file with the name 'office2001icons.sit'. I'm at college now, and Internet Explorer 6 wanted to save the file as a .htm rather than a .sit... I thought it was being stupid, but when the file it downloaded was only 575 bytes, I changed it back to .htm and success was mine; opening said 'office2001icons.htm' brought up a prompt in IE to download the actual office2001icons.sit file from your .Mac account. But there's no Stuffit Expander installed, this being Windows NT, so I shall email it to myself and unstuff it when I go home.

All of which long-winded jibba-jabba is beside the point; thank you for giving me the Office 2001 icons.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2002, 08:58 AM

Here's my home mac:

OOH, NICE!

Link to the wallpaper, please?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 09:30 AM

Hoom. Seems that both Internet Explorer 5.2.2 and Speed Download 1.9.2 don't like what you've done; all they download is a 559 byte file with the name 'office2001icons.sit'. I'm at college now, and Internet Explorer 6 wanted to save the file as a .htm rather than a .sit... I thought it was being stupid, but when the file it downloaded was only 575 bytes, I changed it back to .htm and success was mine; opening said 'office2001icons.htm' brought up a prompt in IE to download the actual office2001icons.sit file from your .Mac account. But there's no Stuffit Expander installed, this being Windows NT, so I shall email it to myself and unstuff it when I go home.

All of which long-winded jibba-jabba is beside the point; thank you for giving me the Office 2001 icons.
Weird, sorry for the hassle...

I just realised that URL is a cloaked re-direct, so maybe it was that which made it screwy..? Ho hum

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by starman:

OOH, NICE!

Link to the wallpaper, please?

Mike
Here you go

gruhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

Looks so nice.
Hi ambush,

They are right, it is Windows. Windows XP Pro to be exact.

I realize my post over the last few days may have been an annoyance for some. My apologizes.

I honestly respect Apple and the wonderful job they did with the GUI on OS X. I feel it makes stock XP look like some half assed effort at best.

But then again, XP Pro is catering to a different market then Apple and it shows.

I live in New Zealand and Apple computers are very expensive here. I'd love to own a PowerMac G4 dual 1.25 Ghz, but here it cost about $10,000 NZD. Way more than I can afford at the moment.

So I got a dual 1 Ghz AMD Athlon based system at the moment. I like it, it does the job and it didn't require me to remortage the house.

So please forgive me if I borrow some ideas from OS X. I do so because I admire it. And I am not the only one that feels this way. There is an entire community out there devoted to porting the OS X look and feel to XP.

Peace,
Gruhead

P.S. This is for the person that refered to my attempts to copy OS X as "pathetic" and "failing". There was no need to be insulting. If you didn't like it, all you had to was say so.

I've been dealing with computers for a long time, 20+ years to be exact, and they *all* have their good and bad sides.
( Last edited by gruhead; Dec 11, 2002 at 05:59 PM. )

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 07:13 PM

Hi ambush,

They are right, it is Windows. Windows XP Pro to be exact.

I realize my post over the last few days may have been an annoyance for some. My apologizes.

I honestly respect Apple and the wonderful job they did with the GUI on OS X. I feel it makes stock XP look like some half assed effort at best.

But then again, XP Pro is catering to a different market then Apple and it shows.

I live in New Zealand and Apple computers are very expensive here. I'd love to own a PowerMac G4 dual 1.25 Ghz, but here it cost about $10,000 NZD. Way more than I can afford at the moment.

So I got a dual 1 Ghz AMD Athlon based system at the moment. I like it, it does the job and it didn't require me to remortage the house.

So please forgive me if I borrow some ideas from OS X. I do so because I admire it. And I am not the only one that feels this way. There is an entire community out there devoted to porting the OS X look and feel to XP.

Peace,
Gruhead

P.S. This is for the person that refered to my attempts to copy OS X as "pathetic" and "failing". There was no need to be insulting. If you didn't like it, all you had to was say so.

I've been dealing with computers for a long time, 20+ years to be exact, and they *all* have their good and bad sides.
Some cool stuff there gruhead !
Do you know if it's possible to make my XP system running on virtual PC look like this? What themes would I have to download and what apps would I need?

Cheers

gruhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:

Some cool stuff there gruhead !
Do you know if it's possible to make my XP system running on virtual PC look like this? What themes would I have to download and what apps would I need?

Cheers
Hi Mr_Frost,

Thank you.

Yes, it *should* be possible to custumize XP running on VPC. I don't think XP will get upset about being customized on a virtual PC as opposed to a real one. I don't know if it will cause a significant performance hit though.

First off, I would start by changing the "Visual Style" for XP to something more pleasing.

Several Mac OS X themes have been ported over to XP. They are available here: http://www.studio-28.tk/

Those will give XP more of an OS X look.

One will need a program to apply the various Visual Styles on XP though. I use "StyleXP" from TGT Soft.
It's available here: http://www.tgtsoft.com/

For shadowing and docks, I would suggest grabbing some stuff from Y'z site: http://yz.designtechnika.com/

There one will find freeware programs that implement system wide window shadowing and also a freeware Dock clone.

Y'z Dock will probably not cause a performance hit, but I have a feeling that Y'z Shadow will. But from what I understand, shadowing causes a performance hit on OS X also.

As for icons, all the OS X icons can be, if one likes, used on XP, but they will need to be converted first.

I use Axialis Icon Workshop to do the conversion. It's available here: http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, please feel free to post me privately.

All the best,
Gruhead

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 09:50 PM

Hmmmmmmm, fresh snow.

Villa

ARENA
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2002, 11:06 PM

New one.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Hmmmmmmm, fresh snow.

Villa
me likey.

Background image?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

me likey.

Background image?
Right there.

Villa

drspock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2002, 12:14 AM

It is a PC trying to be a Mac, but I have a Powerbook coming very soon.

Here ya go

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 01:57 AM

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 09:00 AM

Hi Mr_Frost,

Thank you.

Yes, it *should* be possible to custumize XP running on VPC. I don't think XP will get upset about being customized on a virtual PC as opposed to a real one. I don't know if it will cause a significant performance hit though.

First off, I would start by changing the "Visual Style" for XP to something more pleasing.

Several Mac OS X themes have been ported over to XP. They are available here: http://www.studio-28.tk/

Those will give XP more of an OS X look.

One will need a program to apply the various Visual Styles on XP though. I use "StyleXP" from TGT Soft.
It's available here: http://www.tgtsoft.com/

For shadowing and docks, I would suggest grabbing some stuff from Y'z site: http://yz.designtechnika.com/

There one will find freeware programs that implement system wide window shadowing and also a freeware Dock clone.

Y'z Dock will probably not cause a performance hit, but I have a feeling that Y'z Shadow will. But from what I understand, shadowing causes a performance hit on OS X also.

As for icons, all the OS X icons can be, if one likes, used on XP, but they will need to be converted first.

I use Axialis Icon Workshop to do the conversion. It's available here: http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, please feel free to post me privately.

All the best,
Gruhead
Wow, thx for all that info gruhead. I'll check out some of the sites during the weekend. And if all goes well in VPC I'll give my Dell at work a makeover

If I have questions I'll send them your way!

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
mines ot big to to inlay so see it here. http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9666
I like the G4 computer icon in the finder window. Please share how that is done.

Thanks,
West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

gruhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:

Wow, thx for all that info gruhead. I'll check out some of the sites during the weekend. And if all goes well in VPC I'll give my Dell at work a makeover

If I have questions I'll send them your way!
You're very welcome

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2002, 02:06 PM

Cusomizing XP is actually quite fun. The tools available are very rich and you can do SO much with them. I really wish that MacOS X had the same level of customability.

However, the downside is that some of the themes are built half-assed and what looks good in a screenshot doesn't work well. I had to fix several themese to get them to work properly.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Westfoto:
I like the G4 computer icon in the finder window. Please share how that is done.
That's just an icon from www.xicons.com.

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:

That's just an icon from www.xicons.com.
Thanks for the web site, for the icons. I still do not know how to change the computer icon in a finder window. The one that is there now is a fpiMac and I would like to replace it with the side view of the G4 icon that I just got. I tried to do what I remember doing with OS9. The get info and then do a copy and paste of the icon in the info window, but that did not work. What process do I need to do to make this happen?
Thanks,
West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Westfoto:

Thanks for the web site, for the icons. I still do not know how to change the computer icon in a finder window. The one that is there now is a fpiMac and I would like to replace it with the side view of the G4 icon that I just got. I tried to do what I remember doing with OS9. The get info and then do a copy and paste of the icon in the info window, but that did not work. What process do I need to do to make this happen?
Thanks,
West
What you need is CandyBar .
it's a great little (and cheap) app that will let you do exactly what you want.

Sheep
Dec 14, 2002, 10:29 AM

Here's my desktop....but I don't think I will keep it for a long time.
It's a bit too chaotic

kovacs
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Sheep:
Here's my desktop....but I don't think I will keep it for a long time.
It's a bit too chaotic

a bit ???

Maar tis u vergeven omda ge ook ne belg zijt

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2002, 11:17 AM

Well.. .here is my current desktop .. still trying to customize my new 1ghz PB.

-Mark

gruhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2002, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Cusomizing XP is actually quite fun. The tools available are very rich and you can do SO much with them. I really wish that MacOS X had the same level of customability.

However, the downside is that some of the themes are built half-assed and what looks good in a screenshot doesn't work well. I had to fix several themese to get them to work properly.

Mike
Yes, that is a problem in the XP theme community. Because XP is so easy to customize, anyone can do it, so as a result, anyone does do it and it shows.

Since Apple focuses on the creative market, OS X tends to get a lot of themes designed by professional Graphic Artists. So the quality overall is higher.

But on the flip side, XP seems to have a larger selection of themes to choose from. If one takes a bit of time and exercises some patience, there are some real gems to be found.

By the way, I'm not saying one is better than the other. They both have their weaknesses and strengths. So please don't start OS Wars with me!

All the best,
GruHead
( Last edited by gruhead; Dec 15, 2002 at 08:28 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2002, 08:48 PM

Yes, that is a problem in the XP theme community. Because XP is so easy to customize, anyone can do it, so as a result, anyone does do it and it shows.

Since Apple focuses on the creative market, OS X tends to get a lot of themes designed by professional Graphic Artists. So the quality overall is higher.

But on the flip side, XP seems to have a larger selection of themes to choose from. If one takes a bit of time and exercises some patience, there are some real gems to be found.

By the way, I'm not saying one is better than the other. They both have their weaknesses and strengths. So please don't start OS Wars with me!

All the best,
GruHead

As someone who is creative (Software Engineer/College Professor) in non-visual ways, I must say that I am artistically challenged in the extreme. The entire world should be very thankful that I do not attempt to create themes. <GRIN>

Hi I'm Mike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2002, 09:57 PM

This is a screenshot post not a general discussion post.... Please abide.

ibobunot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 03:05 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules