Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac picture thread

PowerMac picture thread (Page 17)
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2003, 05:08 AM

I've just purchased my first PowerMac...a G4 Cube! It's being shipped to me soon, but this is the first pic I have sent from it's now previous owner!

5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Sweet TAM... Is this the best position for the BOSE sub-woofer?
It sounds pretty good on a knee-high table. The sound bounces off the glass and radiates, so it's about the same as if it were on the floor.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I've just purchased my first PowerMac...a G4 Cube! It's being shipped to me soon, but this is the first pic I have sent from it's now previous owner!

Congratulations! Welcome to the Cube family where it's hip to be square. :-)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by flyhigher:
[img]Bit o' trivia: The Manta display is the first translucent plastic hardware item that Apple released. It predated the iMac by a year.
what about the eMate? didnt that pre-date the Manta display? The emate was transparent green was it not? (Its also some very fugly transparent colours if u have the Apple Design Book)

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2003, 07:54 PM

Are you sure about the manta display? From what I remember it was released when the blue/white LCDs were which wasn't until 1998.

I could be wrong.. maybe the graphite version existed for a while.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
what about the eMate? didnt that pre-date the Manta display? The emate was transparent green was it not? (Its also some very fugly transparent colours if u have the Apple Design Book)

revs
I forgot about the eMate. I believe the Manta came out in early (March?) 1998, so that was after the eMate.

The following year they revised it to match the B&W G3, and gave it a VGA connector instead of the Apple proprietary one.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

HamSandwich
Jul 6, 2003, 02:51 AM

You guys have forgotten this:

(I know, I know. It doesn't count because it was never meant for production. I'm just havin' some fun here. )

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 03:52 AM

thanks for the photo, i'd forgotten just how good the cube looks !

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 07:00 PM

A quick a dirty shot of the setup, which will only last another month until we can move into bigger digs:

--J

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
A quick a dirty shot of the setup, which will only last another month until we can move into bigger digs:
--J
Are you using a TV as your only monitor? I'd go blind within a day.... But good choice for your music. Bona Drag.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
A quick a dirty shot of the setup, which will only last another month until we can move into bigger digs
Does that Cube have a screen to go with it?

Edit: Darn, I just saw the video-out is on your TV. Yeiks. How far away do you have to sit to bear it?

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Does that Cube have a screen to go with it?

Edit: Darn, I just saw the video-out is on your TV. Yeiks. How far away do you have to sit to bear it?
It's perfectly readable from the couch (which is where the pic was taken) with no eye strain. Granted, I'm 24 and have better than 20/20 vision, so YMMV on something like this. I can read it just fine as close as 2 feet. The converter box I have does flicker control and used S-Vid, so it's not blurry and the text is as clear as can be on a TV. The picture from my camcorder doesn't do it justice.

Besides, I have a TiBook to surf and use Photoshop and everything:

The Cube is just my Music/Movie jukebox. Most of the time the TV is off when I have music on or the Visualiser is running. Notice the little black oval surrounded by white inside the cabinet on top? That's the Keyspan remote receiver. The Marantz RC 2000 (left in above pic) controls all! Once you've lived with a setup like this, there's no going back.

And I can't say enough about being able to watch downloaded TV shows like South Park or SNL (or a SteveNote!) on a TV. Beats the crap out of huddling in front of my old 17" monitor.

--J

--And yes, Icruise, I dig Moz. indeed.
( Last edited by Gene Jockey; Jul 22, 2003 at 12:25 PM. )

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2003, 12:35 PM

It's 640x480 resolution, right?

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
It's 640x480 resolution, right?
800x600 @ 60 Hz. It's the highest rez I can do before text in the Menu Bar gets all f'd up and unreadable. I wish I could do 1024x768, but that'll have to wait for the Plasma TV

--Josh

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 12:38 AM

Aloha

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2003, 01:22 AM

I just picked up a 1GHz G4 and a Cinema HD display, both refurb. The G4 was a steal at $999. But I did have to replace the blower fan to make it bearable.

It's the latest in a long line of Macs that have played second fiddle to my TAM. :-)

TAM and G4

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 01:31 AM

wow.. that's VERY nice :drool: Those cinema HD displays are awesome too... having learned the form factor well tho next time I'm getting something that sits higher then 2" off the table.. I think my back/neck will thank me for it

Nice tho.. very nice. :sigh: almost makes mine look cheap lol
Aloha

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2003, 03:45 AM

You're right about the height... I deliberated a while before ordering the monitor, thinking that Apple was going to intro a VESA-style arm display any day now (like the iMac arm). There are some vendors who have arms for all the Apple displays, so I guess there's a way to upgrade if I need to.

But, having to save money now, I just lower my chair.

That's a great looking desk! Would be a good match color-wise for the B&W G3s. You could have a 'stealth' G4 to match it... rip out the innards of a B&W and drop in a more recent CPU.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2003, 04:03 AM

Well, here's my tempory abode until I leave for college. I had a pretty cool settup upstairs in my old bedroom but it gets so hot up there with my door closed (which I have to do to avoid waking the brother and mother).

So, in June I lugged all my stuff downstairs where it's cooler. I like having the entire basement to myself. There's a 36" tv in the next room over with all the video game consoles and stuff so I'm getting spoiled badly.

Don't want to go to dorms...

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 05:11 AM

Looks nice! You should be able to get a good dorm though. Don't settle for a double or some small single!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
Well, here's my tempory abode until I leave for college. I had a pretty cool settup upstairs in my old bedroom but it gets so hot up there with my door closed (which I have to do to avoid waking the brother and mother).

So, in June I lugged all my stuff downstairs where it's cooler. I like having the entire basement to myself. There's a 36" tv in the next room over with all the video game consoles and stuff so I'm getting spoiled badly.

Don't want to go to dorms...

Apple //e is still there?

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2003, 09:36 AM

Apple //e is still there?
It still languishes in my hot room upstairs all by it's self.

Looks nice! You should be able to get a good dorm though. Don't settle for a double or some small single!
I'm going to have to get an apartment to fit the monitor I think
No, I'm going to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and they've got something like 28,000 full or part time students and a dorm capacity of 2000....so I've got no chance of getting a room.

mpitts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2003, 03:05 PM

---

All the best bands are affiliated with Satan.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 03:59 PM

Yikes, g4, cinema display, hp printer.. . even an all in one...

In basic your setup is like a modern version of mine (minus that table) cool!
Aloha

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 10:55 PM

( Last edited by Hi I'm Ben; Aug 4, 2003 at 11:43 PM. )

PowerMatt
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
I'm going to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and they've got something like 28,000 full or part time students and a dorm capacity of 2000....so I've got no chance of getting a room.
Welcome to UWM! And best of luck getting a place close by! Hope you enjoy the university. Its not like UW-Madison, but we have our fun.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 01:01 AM

Congrats on the Cube.
You'll love it. You'll notice how quiet it is, especially if you are used to using a dual G4 tower.

idyll
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 11:34 AM

Too late... he already sold it and bought a Powermac. He goes through his computers faster than I go through my boxers!

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:57 PM

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=45095

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=45096

You WON'T be dissapointed! It.. kinda.. makes the matrix... look.. cheap.
Aloha

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
Too late... he already sold it and bought a Powermac. He goes through his computers faster than I go through my boxers!
Haha, yep yep! Actually I was surprised at how quiet it was, however quiet is of no meaning to me as I'm a musician who always has music going on his computer, regardless, so it's always loud in here. Plus I have a PC w/ 7 fans, so I've been used to noise for awhile now. It was a beauty, however it just wasn't fast enough for me. I was hoping the 800Mhz upgrade would make it so, however the slow RAM and slow bus speed hampered it from being a decent Quake III/SoF II machine, so it hadta go. Thankfully I made $200 on the sell through eBay & got an absolute STEAL on my PowerMac through my college...it should arrive by next Wednesday, the wait is a killer!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Leonis
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Link:

MacZealot really need some serious therapy
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2003, 04:34 AM

It.. kinda.. makes the matrix... look.. cheap.
Could be, but its mess also makes my local waste dump look pretty cleaned up.

Just kidding.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2003, 11:59 PM

Holy ****ing sh*t!

YOU'VE GOT CHEX MIX!!!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 09:12 AM

bump to see some g5's here

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2003, 11:08 PM

My new college dormroom setup!

his is my college dormroom setup! This is my half of the room. On the wall is a bunch of my posters included the great "Jaguar" poster, a "PowerMac G4" flyer, and the greatest, a custom "Apple" poster made by my awesome girlfriend...my desk has a Galileo thermometer, m AlChair, Hulk Bobblehead, and my 15GB iPod in front of my HP Printer. Also, in the left corner is a lamp made by my father (carpenter) from a refinished guitar and his own handiwork.

Below the guitar lamp is my new PowerMac box and my Alienware Area 51-m laptop I use for LAN parties and Counter-Strike.
Pentium 4: 2.4Ghz
512MB RAM
Radeon 7500 64MB
40GB
ComboDrive
Wireless 802.11b

On the desk is my 12" PowerBook:
867Mhz G4
640MB RAM
40GB
AirPort Extreme
ComboDrive

On the left side is my AlCup, another aluminum goody I found

On the bottom is the sub to my PlanarMedia 14's 2.1 sound system connected to my brand new Dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac G4:
Dual 1.25Ghz G4's w/ 2MB L3 Cache per proc.
2GB PC2700 DDR RAM
80GB
SuperDrive & ComboDrive
nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 128MB

Pushing dual Apple Displays:
23" HD Cinema Display
17" Studio Display (via Apple's DVI-to-ADC adapter)
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

schalliol
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 11:19 PM

Very nice, just make sure you're insured
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

idyll
Senior User
Sep 2, 2003, 11:29 PM

Very nice indeed. Your 23" Display makes the PowerBook seem tiny.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2003, 11:52 PM

thats a nice set up, for some odd reason i cant seem to post any pics...i click the image button, but to no avail. i would post my set up (though its pretty simple) if i could. any help
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 2, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:
thats a nice set up, for some odd reason i cant seem to post any pics...i click the image button, but to no avail. i would post my set up (though its pretty simple) if i could. any help
You have to have the pictures hosted somewhere on the net first, and then link to them. You can't upload them to the MacNN boards.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by DBvader:
Yeah, haha, the Image button doesn't seem to work well...after you've got a pic uploaded somewhere on the net, copy it's url, then in your message type this:

[img] (copy your URL here) [/img]

And thanks guys, I love this!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

NYK Ace
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 10:07 AM

man your nuts

all that MUST have cost like 12,000... AT LEAST!

wow where do you get the $$$

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by NYK Ace:
man your nuts
I'll thank you not to talk about his nuts...

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 01:02 AM

So when are we going to start seeing the G5's in here?
iGeek

idyll
Senior User
Sep 14, 2003, 02:15 AM

You asked for it.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by idyll:
You asked for it.
How about some pics of the whole setting, we've seen the actual machine before, so that might be useful.

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 06:55 PM

My desktop. Doesn't show the big picture (No pun intended) but it's where I work...

G4/450 Sawtooth. As much of a fan i am of apple, the G4 and the iPod are the only apple products. The rest is third party.

Noteworthy items include:
-Lacie 52x24x52 Firewire external burner
-Harmon/Kardon Champagne SE speakers
-D-Link USB hub (4port)
-Logitech optical/wheel mouse
-Logitech Elite Keyboard
-5 GB iPod

Not in image:
-HP 2210 AIO printer/copier/scanner/fax

Jansar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 02:46 AM

Clean your room.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 03:10 AM

^^

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=52389

That better?

*note* major changes
Aloha

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2003, 08:27 AM

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=52389

That better?
Actually not that much.

The PC and its screen ruin the room.

The disco ball and the pseudo-antique lamp go together like heaven and hell.

LOL.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2003, 11:31 AM

thats my dual 867/1 GB RAM/2 x 80 GB HD/Radeon 9000 running @ 1600 x 1200 on a NEX Multisync 97F.

Im moving back to school in the next week or so, so my setup will change a bit, and i wont have that huge desk.

also in the picture is my 5 GB iPod (need to get a 20) and my sennheiser HD 600s.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Forum Links
Forum Rules