Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HP 17 inch

HP 17 inch
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2003, 01:17 PM

What is going on. HP just came out with a 17inch notebook. Specs are great. 80 gig hd 64 meg video latest from nvidia. Toshiba has one and the prices are a lot cheeper. Even if the quality isnt as great you still are getting it a bit cheeper. Apple needs to eather lower prices and come out with a new one or top it with 19 inch laptop lol.

djjava
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
What is going on. HP just came out with a 17inch notebook. Specs are great. 80 gig hd 64 meg video latest from nvidia. Toshiba has one and the prices are a lot cheeper. Even if the quality isnt as great you still are getting it a bit cheeper. Apple needs to eather lower prices and come out with a new one or top it with 19 inch laptop lol.
people say the 17" is too big, wonder the outcry of a 19"er.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
Apple needs to eather lower prices
None of Apple's systems are competitvely prices in comparison to the PC's raw speed; again, we offer the only explaination: the Mac experience is worth the price.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

djjava
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
None of Apple's systems are competitvely prices in comparison to the PC's raw speed; again, we offer the only explaination: the Mac experience is worth the price.

Amen! Couldn't have said it better. It's like: why buy the Volvo when you want to drive a Cadillac? Both will get you to and from, but one is just plain old better.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2003, 01:30 PM

9.6 pounds...

And 1.6something inches thick in the back.

No thanks.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
9.6 pounds...

And 1.6something inches thick in the back.

No thanks.
my 17 inch came today. Im so excited that I don't want to use it. I also am so sweaty that i dont wnat to tocuh my greasy hands on it. That is how excited i am.

dwalls32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 02:38 PM

yoyoman, from the time of order until the time you had it at your house, how long did it take? Did you experience any of the delays others have mentioned (I only ask because I am wondering if I would have time to order one this Friday and have it here by the 22nd).

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by dwalls32:
yoyoman, from the time of order until the time you had it at your house, how long did it take? Did you experience any of the delays others have mentioned (I only ask because I am wondering if I would have time to order one this Friday and have it here by the 22nd).
I paid 15 bucks extra for fast delevry. took over 4 days. since last week. It sux cause they have to make sure the credit card company with ur card is real. I don't mind the wait. Damn im to excited. I want to wear gloves so i dont grease it.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Amen! Couldn't have said it better. It's like: why buy the Volvo when you want to drive a Cadillac? Both will get you to and from, but one is just plain old better.

Um, which is "just plain old better?" The Volvo?
I, ASIMO.

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Um, which is "just plain old better?" The Volvo?
Yeah. I wouldn't compare a Mac to a Cadillac. Volvo does make some damn fine cars that manage to be decently stylish, long lasting, and in some cases even sporty. Both companies make what some would consider luxury cars.

Of course I'm biased, there's an 850 in the driveway
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2003, 04:25 PM

Heh? Cadillac plain old better than Volvo? Why not pick two makes where it's obvious what's better? How about like a Buick and BMW?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

djjava
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Heh? Cadillac plain old better than Volvo? Why not pick two makes where it's obvious what's better? How about like a Buick and BMW?
ok ok, how about my crappy oldsmobile, vs., say, a BMW, Mercedes, or any other high priced vehicle.

geez... a simple anology gone awry.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 06:14 PM

Consumer reports gives either make a pretty crappy to average reliability rating. I am looking to get an import, possibly a Mazda6, a Nissan Maxima or a sporty Mazda RX-8 rotary or the Nissan 350z. (Sorry USA auto makers, your reliability generally SUCKS.) The latter two are to new to judge reliability though. Jeez you would think Jeep a more dependable and rugged make but not so. The shocking part of all this? BMW is generally not reliable as is Mercedes. Don't kill the messenger; Read the latest Consumer magazine car report.

"I want to wear gloves so i dont grease it."
Greasing your aluminum Powerbook is the least of your worries; its not painted. I would be more worried that my new Powerbook is defective out of the box. Get a grip Yoyoman, inspect the exterior and the port functionality. Turn it on. You can DO this...

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
eum... Volvo is MUCH better than Caddilac .Build quality rings a bell ?

BobK
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 11:01 AM

Apple needs to eather lower prices:

You eather need to get a spell check or learn to spell!

beachmark
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 12:34 PM

I took a look at the HP and am disappointed that it did nto come with a centrino processor. On top ofthat the screen size issimilar to Apple's 17inch so in that field it does not make an impact as well. There are quite a few 15inch on themarket with a screen size of 1400 by 1100 and they are cheaper and faster too.

So a missed opportunity by HP. On top ofthat it makes once more clear that Apple's 17inch is still a cracker. So apart from a possible speed bump you may not expect anything else in the near future.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 04:53 PM

The PB17 is clearly a 'classic' Mac. And if Moto DOES indeed deliver a 2GHz G4, it may even last another round of upgrade while remaining competitive with anything Apple can make.

At the moment, besides adding USB 2, better speakers, and a faster processor, I truly cannot think how this machine can be significantly improved besides lowering the price.

j0nkatz
Aug 12, 2003, 05:28 PM

ok ok, how about my crappy oldsmobile, vs., say, a BMW, Mercedes, or any other high priced vehicle.

I would trade 3 of my 17" Powerbooks for one original 1970 Oldsmobile W-30 442 in good shape.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 06:53 PM

It's sweet in the Windows world.

Even though Steve said no one has top the Titanium between 2001 and 2003. Finally, some close competitors show up now.

The price is right for the HP notebook. Any discount for its shareholders?

BobK
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2003, 10:07 AM

If it is so sweet in the windows world, Why are you at MacNN?
I dont spend my time reading windows sites. I know windows sucks.
How is that lovesan feeling today?

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2003, 12:01 PM

I was just kidding around, even put a smile on the end of it.

geez!
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by BobK:
If it is so sweet in the windows world, Why are you at MacNN?
I dont spend my time reading windows sites. I know windows sucks.
How is that lovesan feeling today?
I only use Mac. Feed the trolls. No offense!

Forum Links
Forum Rules