Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 20)
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Good work billy, now you just added another 25 pages to this thread with that excitement. I was trying to relieve the strangle hold that some have on you. LOL
LOL indeed. And it seems that ONLY BBX and the unsanity guys know what the cool new features will be.
click one

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 09:43 PM

WHAT?! It's going to require that F"C@#$*(&#$(@#$ing shape shifter piece of *(@#$^&@#$?!?!?!

Awww man not another theme I'm not gonna use

I'm sick of unsanity and thier monopolizing theme formats
Aloha

Lew
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 10:02 PM

Did you feel the same way about OS 9 themes that required Kaleidoscope?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
LOL indeed. And it seems that ONLY BBX and the unsanity guys know what the cool new features will be.
Eeheehee and me

Oh yes, they are cool, and many.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Eeheehee and me

Oh yes, they are cool, and many.
I also know about a few, but am not at liberty to discuss them.

Link: if you don't mind, would you kindly shut-up? If you care that much one would think $20 wouldn't be a problem. Nobody is monopolizing anything, it's just only Unsanity has made tools good enough to do something like Omega.
click one

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Link:
WHAT?! It's going to require that F"C@#$*(&#$(@#$ing shape shifter piece of *(@#$^&@#$?!?!?!

Oh come on, something this complicated requires such a program.

-Owl

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2004, 01:26 PM

WHAT?! Awww man not another theme I'm not gonna use
Get used to it friend - can't do much theming in Panther without it.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 02:01 PM

hmmm, I see this thread is close to 1000 posts...

Will it happen before release?

-Owl

CiN FuL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 02:19 PM

i now understand why BBX didnt want to post any screen shots

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/index...howtopic=11520

they want someone to already do a samurize script....

WDRAM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 02:28 PM

now understand why BBX didnt want to post any screen shots

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/inde...showtopic=11520

Can you believe those windows guys?

Look at all the man hours they're putting in to make their crap-boxes like a Macintosh.

...and, yes, the stealing.
W D R A M

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by CiN FuL:

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/index...howtopic=11520

Link is dead..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2004, 02:43 PM

... they want someone to already do a samurize script....
Exactly... sad, isn't it? This (and the fact that I don't want to spoil any SS surprises) are exactly why I can't post screenies prior to release. I go through this crap every time. But any unauthorized porters on this one will be in for some nasty surprises, that's for sure

Hobeaux
Jan 25, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Exactly... sad, isn't it? This (and the fact that I don't want to spoil any SS surprises) are exactly why I can't post screenies prior to release. I go through this crap every time. But any unauthorized porters on this one will be in for some nasty surprises, that's for sure
well, at least he asked permission to port it to Samurize-- or attempted to anyway. the email he used (.mac?) was dead.

nice email he wrote too
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

CiN FuL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Link is dead..

hmmm, try again...i just checked it and it wasnt dead for me....maybe you have to sign up to their board? i dunno honestly

Hobeaux
Jan 25, 2004, 03:07 PM

worked for me and I hadn't been there before.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 04:17 PM

Aaaargh I was hoping this wouldn't happen. (MT is totally screwed up in IE 6 atm). My fault I guess.

voo
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by WDRAM:
Can you believe those windows guys?

Look at all the man hours they're putting in to make their crap-boxes like a Macintosh.

...and, yes, the stealing.
Looks like they lost their minds on porting :o
Perhaps obsessed is better described, and if somone does do it without permission most likely it will look like a real bad copy.

It was the same with Mercury last two years, atleast 4 different variations on MSstyles, it just looked all wrong.

Samurize is one of those tool monitoring programs, which looks absoloutely evil on scripting. http://www.samurize.com/

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Hobeaux:
worked for me and I hadn't been there before.
it's working now.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 06:41 PM

where have you been? hiding? YOU KNOW WHERE Osama B.L. is DONT YOU???????//??

CiN FuL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 08:12 PM

some interesting stuff from BBX

1. And why would you be 'forced' exactly? This is the first I've ever heard of Samurize Something I'll have to look into (being a Mac boy and all).

Anyways, the Omega kit itself is a ways off for a number of reasons, primarily because the software that drives it on the Mac doesn't yet have the features required to support it (and its delay is as painful to myself as anybody else) - the iTunes remote is using Konfabulator only because everybody on the Mac is using iTunes and the only way to skin a fully-funtioning remote for iTunes is to use Konfabulator... on the PC side I see player functionality as being better handled by an actual skinnable player. The way it's planned, there will be 2 unique player designs running on the PC - one for WMP9 and one for WinAmp... the WinAmp skin will actually be very similar to the Konfab skin on the Mac, but feature controls and features that actually make sense outside of the iTunes-remote context. Once the kit is actually released, I would most likely be open to examining the upside when it comes to porting the Omega Module designs to something like Samurize (and there are other multi-function Konfab-driven Modules on the Mac that might better lend themselves to Samurize or aomething similar than the iTunes Remote), but as it stands I'm fairly opposed to anybody ripping/porting/etc anything based on static screenshots of an unreleased theme or any module previews. Besides, this thing is fully animated with complex LED sequences - a port pulled from the static image would be pretty boring, no?

As for MSstyles (I think somebody mentioned that), I don't really see that happening at this point (or see the design as fitting within MSstyles very well) - we sort of want to keep her WB only.

2. Hard to be pissed about that Thanks!

For the other poster, Omega will be out when:

a. ShapeShifter (Mac theme hack) supports the features the theme was designed around (SS features that were nixed/unimplemented after the design was finalized and announced).

b. The WMP9, WinAmp and WB skins are finished being coded and icon/desktop ports are complete (a lot of stuff to wade through there as well).

c. Both Mac and PC kits are complete, tested and wrapped up all nice and pretty.

As for when it will all come together, I really have no idea. It was a much smaller scale project when I originally announced it (intending to release it in late Nov/early Dec), but after all the delays I've had zero control over, I decided to take advantage of the dropped deadline and really milk this funky-ass black plastic/LED thing for all it's worth with extra modules and a more involved PC adaptation. So it'll rock and all parties are working on it, but an exact release date is still up in the air.

sorry....but IE is screwing up and im now allowed to quote because of some stupid error... *sigh*...but enjoy the "news"

WDRAM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 10:07 PM

some interesting stuff from BBX

c. Both Mac and PC kits are complete, tested and wrapped up all nice and pretty.

[...]

I decided to take advantage of the dropped deadline and really milk this funky-ass black plastic/LED thing for all it's worth with extra modules and a more involved PC adaptation. So it'll rock and all parties are working on it, but an exact release date is still up in the air.
WHAT?! You'll release it when it's finished?!

Who does that?

</sarcasm>

Ah well...keep at it...I mean, are we looking at like at leastApril or May at this point in time? Could there potentially be major snags that delay this theme even further than this? Or are the necessary tools in place now?
W D R A M

ArcticBear
Jan 25, 2004, 10:26 PM

Dude, don't let them steal your fun. Code your own!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 10:37 PM

Who does that?

</sarcasm>

Ah well...keep at it...I mean, are we looking at like at leastApril or May at this point in time? Could there potentially be major snags that delay this theme even further than this? Or are the necessary tools in place now?
Lots of people release unfinished products, most times to meet deadlines. Nothing to be sarcastic about

Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 12:48 AM

Why is the music note on the iTR backwards?

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 01:16 AM

I don't know if you can pin a date on SS 1.5 and Omega... It all depends on if there are bugs in the 1.5 betas, and how well the needed features work.
click one

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 07:35 AM

I don't know if you can pin a date on SS 1.5 and Omega... It all depends on if there are bugs in the 1.5 betas, and how well the needed features work.
Not only that, but whether BBX and Smeger have dreamed up some super-cool features for SS 1.6 or 1.7 that Omega simply must have before it's released! BBX will surely hold out for them to make Omega complete and perfect. And then there's always SS2.0! That will definitely be worth waiting for. I hate to break it to you, but Omega may possibly never be released because nothing in the computer world is ever done and Omega can't be released until then!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Why is the music note on the iTR backwards?
Because the geoetry flipped on the X axis when I brought it into C4D for some reason AND I saved over the file containing that sweet camera angle (which I can't reproduce - d'oh) so it's stuck that way.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Not only that, but whether BBX and Smeger have dreamed up some super-cool features for SS 1.6 or 1.7 that Omega simply must have before it's released! BBX will surely hold out for them to make Omega complete and perfect. And then there's always SS2.0! That will definitely be worth waiting for. I hate to break it to you, but Omega may possibly never be released because nothing in the computer world is ever done and Omega can't be released until then!
Hehe... no it's one feature that's holding me up personally - one (but it's a major one). There are other things I'd like to see tightened up (like progress bars) but they can be worked around for now.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 02:01 PM

Hehe... no it's one feature that's holding me up personally - one (but it's a major one). There are other things I'd like to see tightened up (like progress bars) but they can be worked around for now.
It's called Omega 1.1 that will be released after SS 1.6 or later to fix a few very small things that nobody will really care about that much. Not even Aqua is polished to perfection (far from it actually), I don't think there is a single theme that could be called perfect, and I think BBX Omega will likely be the closes theme to perfection judging by how long it's taking to make and knowing how good BBX's old stuff is.
click one

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 04:58 PM

Omega

n 1: the ending of a series or sequence; "the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end"--Revelation [syn: {Z}] 2: the last (24th) letter of the Greek alphabet

Omega

\O*me"ga\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. ?, i.e., the great or long o. Cf. Mickle.] 1. The last letter of the Greek alphabet. SeeAlpha.

2. The last; the end; hence, death.

``Omega! thou art Lord,'' they said. --Tennyson.

Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending; hence, the chief, the whole. --Rev. i. 8.

The alpha and omega of science. --Sir J. Herschel.

Hobeaux
Jan 26, 2004, 05:08 PM

so.. the release of Omega should be signal that we're at the end of the world? I don't remember that in the Bible...

wait.. one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse was all BLACK!

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2004, 05:15 PM

Oh no! The polycarbon laminate, form injected mica, high quality, photorealistic, Horseman of the Apocalypse!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Oh no! The polycarbon laminate, form injected mica, high quality, photorealistic, Horseman of the Apocalypse!
lol that would make a cool desktop pic.
click one

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2004, 05:55 PM

lol that would make a cool desktop pic.
/me Pictures Darth Vader, wielding an LEDsaber, riding a shiny, plastic horse with LED glowing light-eyes, through the death star with all the lights off, and the shiny floor reflecting the entire scene

EDIT: I mean, not a PLASTIC horse, a Polycarbon Laminate horse

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 06:22 AM

Who does that?

3D Realms does it. Hehehe.

http://www.dukenukem.com/duke4/index.html
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 09:17 AM

Sorry, but i couldn't resist....

Revelation 22: 12-13

Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

> New International Version

quandarry
Feb 6, 2004, 09:29 AM

you're all in hell...get over it...move on.

Drifter
Feb 8, 2004, 11:15 AM

But I'm Jewish. Aren't I supped to be in some Catholic Purgatory or Limbo or something?
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2004, 06:28 PM

Nastrond. You're in Nastrond. Hel's a harsh mistress, to be sure, but Nastrond is true torture. ;-)

(and if you're wondering, you're welcome to PM me and ask wtf I'm talking about).

Dave

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 01:55 AM

Still nothing to show for? ....pathetic

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 02:21 AM

Dont try to start this up again. Lay off the man, will ya?

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 02:28 AM

Okay, let me sum up what will probably come in the flamewar anway:

He needs ShapeShifter 1.5. Why? 1.1 doesn't host the features that are required to do Omega properly, and Omega will be, at best, half-arsed if he releases it before 1.5 is good and ready.

So, before you whine about Omega's lateness, please make sure to read back and understand what's actually holding up the project.

Dave

RGB
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by zell:
Some words
... pathetic.

Hobeaux
Feb 9, 2004, 11:33 AM

[em]...it's one feature that's holding me up personally - one (but it's a major one). [/em]
There you have it: BBX is waiting for the the software to be finished before he can release his theme.

One could read between the lines and state that the theme itself is completed, and just as much in limbo as the rest of us.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by zell:
Still nothing to show for? ....pathetic
Eat me weasel.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 01:31 PM

Eat me weasel.
I 2nd that, you got BBX to post here for no good reason. I just watch the topic now for new posts that have anything to do with official information.

Did you just edit that from "You suck" to "Eat me weasel"?
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 01:42 PM

Did you just edit that from "You suck" to "Eat me weasel"?

Yeah I did Hehehe... kills me, people like that pop in here just to call me pathetic. What'evur

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 02:16 PM

Why oh why hasn't this thread been locked yet?

The trolls just won't stop

Just give BBX a friggin' break already

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Why oh why hasn't this thread been locked yet?

The trolls just won't stop

Just give BBX a friggin' break already
I could just delete it I suppose...

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 02:53 PM

no no, then where would we go for a dose of comedy? I mean, c'mon, this thread is a great pick-me-up whenever we feel like losers in real life! We just look at the trolls, and suddenly we're just...normal.

Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules