Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Hide from Dock, but not Expos�?

Hide from Dock, but not Expos�?
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 11:40 AM

I use CocoaDialog in one of my apps. In case you're not familiar with it, all it is is an app that launches, displays a dialog with the specified text and buttons, and then returns the user's response. As it is a full, standalone app, it has its own icon in the dock when it's launched, and then disappears when the user dismisses the dialog.

I modified its Info.plist to hide the app from the dock (I set LSUIElement to 1). This is great, as my app no longer needs to show second icon in the dock every time it displays a dialog. However, setting LSUIElement to 1 also makes the dialogs disappear when Expos� is activated. Is there any way around this?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 02:07 PM

I think LSBackgroundOnly will do what you want.

By the way, if you have a GUI app with a Dock icon, what is the point of Cocoa Dialog? I thought the point was that you could call it from scripts to get input from the user.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 10, 2005 at 02:15 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 02:11 PM

So in other words, set LSBackgroundOnly to 1, and leave LSUIElement out entirely?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 02:24 PM

Yes. LSBackgroundOnly is similar to LSUIElement, but it does things slightly different.

Just as a disclaimer, I'm not sure it works for this, but I seem to remember it working last time I tested it.

EDIT: I checked, and it turns out that disappearing when Expose is activated is a property of the kind of dialog that CocoaDialog displays. It will happen regardless of what's in the Info.plist.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 10, 2005 at 02:45 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules