Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Downloading instead of displaying HTML!?

Downloading instead of displaying HTML!?
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 12:16 PM

I just noticed that for some reason Firefox wants to download instead of display certain pages of my website. Example: http://homepage.mac.com/amake/navigation/documents.html

I tried a fresh profile and it still happened. Safari behaves correctly. Any ideas why this might be happening? Does anyone have this?

Fusion
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 01:47 PM

Safari 2.0 downloaded that page instead of displaying it as well. Could be your mime type.

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 01:48 PM

I only have Safari 1.3 to test with, and it displays it. This is very frustrating. How in the world can I change the MIME type for stuff on my iDisk?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 02:00 PM

That page worked perfectly fine in Firefox here; though I am using last night's nightly build.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2005, 03:00 PM

I wonder if it's the xml prologue in the document. I'd bet that it is.

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 03:03 PM

That's been there since forever; I've only had this problem since maybe yesterday.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2005, 02:34 PM

I had the same problem with the MacNN forums yesterday or the day before yesterday. No matter where I went, apart from the front page, my Opera (7.5, XP) wanted to download the page instead of opening it. Same thing happened on all pages on my own domain.

It works again now, so I can only assume it was some sort of pan-Internetic hiccough of sorts...

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 08:10 PM

According to Apple:
We are currently investigating reports of HomePage issues where Mozilla-based web browsers incorrectly render HomePage content. We hope to resolve these issues in the near future, but unfortunately do not have a clear resolution for the issue you reported at this time, as it is currently under investigation.

As a workaround you might want to disable the Mac OS X 10.3 local copy of iDisk feature and then re-create any webpages by directly interacting with your remote iDisk via HomePage. The issues you have described only occur when the Mac OS X 10.3 local copy of iDisk is enabled and HTML files are synced from your local iDisk Sites folder to your remote iDisk Sites folder.
But I'm not using the local iDisk! I manually mount my iDisk and then sync a local folder to it with rsync; is that how the local iDisk feature works under the hood?

Forum Links
Forum Rules