Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Linebreaks in TextWrangler

Linebreaks in TextWrangler
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 10:51 PM

Since SubEthaEdit no longer has a free nonprofit licensing option, I'm trying to switch to TextWrangler. One problem I'm finding is that it doesn't seem to respect Unix linebreaks, which are used in the majority of my files. Search-and-replacing linebreaks (\n) with carriage returns (\r) seems to get things to show up properly, but I'd rather not have to do that in all my files. Does anyone know how to get TextWrangler to properly display linebreaks?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 07:25 AM

Do you mean to show invisibles?

Also:

Does that help?

Another potential freeware alternative to TextWrangler if it doesn't work out is Smultron, fwiw.

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 12:15 PM

No, I don't mean "Show Invisibles," and the "Default Line Breaks" setting doesn't seem to affect anything. The problem is that TextWrangler is displaying files as if linebreaks (\n) don't actually break the line. For instance, if I turn softwrapping off, the entire document ends up on one ridiculously long line. It does, however, properly display carriage returns (\r) as one would expect.

I'll try out Smultron. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: I tried out Smultron, and it certainly does handle both \n and \r properly. That's good. The bad news is that its command line tool isn't good enough, and I hate how it forces you into an MDI thing and quits when you close its window.
( Last edited by wataru; Feb 11, 2006 at 12:31 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules