Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Macbook: Flawless

My Macbook: Flawless
eldt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 09:58 PM

Am I the only one with a perfect MacBook? I've had my white 2.0ghz macbook for a week and a half now and could not be happier, honestly.

- No mooing. Even when I throw everything I have at it. It will get up to 75 degrees (C) +, but I have yet to hear any fan in this thing.

- Heat? This thing isn't hotter than my powebook g4. From what I've seen, Macs seem to run a little hotter than PC laptops. Maybe people complaining about heat are recent switchers?

- Discoloration? Nope. Not even the slightest bit (yet). My office mate's however is showing some, but he isn't exactly the cleanest person either and I don't think he's ever attempted to clean the thing. He's also had his about 2 weeks longer than me though. I wipe my macbook down frequently with clorox non-bleach disinfecting wipes on a daily basis as a preventitive measure.

- Bad pixels? Nope.

- Trackpad issues? Nope.

- Complaints about the glossy screen? Not at all. The screen is enough reason in itsel to upgrade. It is like twice as bright as my friends 12" PB G4, and brighter than my 15" PB G4 as well.

- Magsafe power supply crackling? Nope.

- Squeaky display hinge? Negative.

- Video suck or sluggish? No way. This thing leaves my G5 (older model) in the dust.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The free ipod nano and canon photo printer are nice as well. If you are a college student and in need of or want a new laptop this is without a question the way to go.

And parallels with XP SP2 runs great with 1GB of ram. This was a key buying factor cause unfortunately I need windows for some of my geoscience apps (ArcGIS, SigmaPlot, modeling software, etc).

Anyone else as happy as me?

PS, the remote kicks ass.

PSS, My MacNN accout was lost and I resigned up and got someone else's signature. WTF is that.
MacBook 2.0Ghz White - 1GB, 80GB HDD
-and a few others-

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 10:13 PM

mine is 99% perfect

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 11:46 PM

Haha mine is perfect also. Or so I like to believe anyway, since I haven't noticed anything wrong with it, don't hear no moo or whine.

My best purchase yet!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 11:49 PM

mine squeeks at times, other than that it's fine. The squeek isn't even that bad. Only when I'm moving the screen, which isn't often.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 11:50 PM

Mine's perfect.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Juba310
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 12:59 AM

I agree, the remote rocks.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 23, 2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by eldt
And parallels with XP SP2 runs great with 1GB of ram. This was a key buying factor cause unfortunately I need windows for some of my geoscience apps (ArcGIS, SigmaPlot, modeling software, etc).
is there a reason why you went with parallels instead of bootcamp? it would seem like bootcamp would give you the best performance.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

eldt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 03:01 PM

I decided to go with parallels to start with and haven't run anything very intensive yet. Once I start grad school in the fall I'll probably go the way of bootcamp to get the extra power needed for some apps. For now though I don't need it and didn't want to repartition yet.

But for everything I've tried so far, Windows in Parallels is great.
-and a few others-

Madrag
Senior User
Jun 23, 2006, 04:24 PM

which other mac (G5) did you have?
I'm asking this beacause I finally tried a MBP (pro!) and it felt so slow!

I have a G5 DP 2.0...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 05:11 PM

My imaginary MacBook is flawless.

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 08:47 PM

My actual MacBook is flawless. SO HA!

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 11:52 PM

It's amazing! It just shows that many people are having great experiences with their new Macs. When people complain about issues it makes it look like it's the majority when it's simply not true, This is one of the best and most positive threads about the MacBook so far and it's quite contagious. Look how many people have said that they got a great MacBook right after the first poster and I'll bet it will continue.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

eldt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 09:28 AM

I have one of the first gen g5's (at work). It's a 1.6Ghz and I'm not exactly sure what it has for a graphics card but stuff like core graphics definitely seems smoother on the macbook.

With all of the negative threads out there I felt like I would share how positive of an experience I've had so far with the macbook. Glad to hear that i'm not the only one.
-and a few others-

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2006, 10:14 AM

I decided to go with parallels to start with and haven't run anything very intensive yet. Once I start grad school in the fall I'll probably go the way of bootcamp to get the extra power needed for some apps. For now though I don't need it and didn't want to repartition yet.

You might want to repartition now -- when your HD has a large enough block of free space -- just to play it safe.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 06:19 PM

My 2.0GHz white MB is nearly perfect. It does have a very minor moo issue that raises its ugly head once in a blue moon. Doesn't matter if I use it for hours or just 20 mintues. Sometimes it will occur. It did this morning after only 20 minutes of use, but other times using it for hours on end w/o a moo.

Its not really a major issue for me, no whine, no dead pixels, now powersupply issues. Now with my re-application of AS5 its about 10c cooler too.

machappy
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 07:43 AM

mines minty..easily the quietest computer ive ever had. makes osx so snappy.. im in awe...still..really..this is badass..jesus hail mary sardine

hutchy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 09:23 AM

Might as well chip in since all the complaints nearly put me off getting one... White 2ghz, only had it 3 days but not a sign of trouble, blows away the 1ghz emac easily lol. managed to get the fans on full blow only once, an a top temp of 80 (using yes > /dev/null)

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:29 PM

Mine's pretty damn near perfect too. Mooing around 67°, but it doesn't bother me.

I've set it up with 2GB of RAM and a 7200rpm Seagate 100GB drive.

Triple-booting OS X, Windows XP Pro, and Windows Vista Beta 2. Runs each of them better than any other computer I've seen.

Plus with Parallels and images for XP, Ubuntu Linux, etc, it's the most versatile computer I've ever had.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 03:05 PM

No Moos or chips here....Just a mouse button less responsive ot the leftmost 1/4 of the button...and it does get hot.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2006, 07:33 PM

you know what -- i spoke too soon. i have a weird problem that i'll bring into the shop. i'll post a separate thread about it. no one has ever mentioned it before here, that i've seen...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Madrag
which other mac (G5) did you have?
I'm asking this beacause I finally tried a MBP (pro!) and it felt so slow!

I have a G5 DP 2.0...

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 09:10 AM

Mine is perfect too. I'd imagine most are. The nature of forums is that they make issues look a lot more widespread than they are. People are substantially less likely to come on a support type forum like this if their computer works and are much less likely to start a new topic than someone with a problem. Thats why I get worried every time I buy a computer. I read about all these problems, get to thinking they must be widespread, and get terrified about my new computer having them. And it pretty much always ends up flawless. The last Apple I had serious problems with was my Quadra 660.

eldt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 03:35 PM

so my macbook -was- flawless but now it's only 99.85% (precisely) flawless.

The track pad button has loosened up a bit now and will move a slight bit without putting enough pressure to register a click. I think people have talked about this one and putting paper under it or something. If it starts to bother me I may look into this.
-and a few others-

Madrag
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 05:14 PM

so my macbook -was- flawless but now it's only 99.85% (precisely) flawless.
LOL!

Don't mean to be negative in such a positive thread, but I knew this would happen!
I haven't had a chance to try a macBook, but I'm certain I'll love it, but it most definetly will have flaws.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2006, 06:35 PM

My white MB 1.83 is perfect, too.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2006, 07:12 PM

solved the problem. see the other thread if you're interested.
it's pretty perfect again.

(one gripe: i'd much rather watch music videos for free on mtv.com than buy them on itunes... hopefully we can get DRM at some point on Mac...)

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2006, 07:54 PM

it's good to hear so much positive feedback about the macbook, i've been scared off the purchase by other threads and complaints. as usual, it seems many of the problems are often not with the unit at all (many users failed to find and remove the plastic film accidentally left covering their cooling vents!!), but with people's inability to look after them.. people who get discoloration, you've probably got acidic skin and you dont clean your macbook.
my main concern, however, is with software support. i understand universal apps run beautifully, but what about those on rosetta? they are sluggish yes? two of my most common apps, Pro Tools and Photoshop, still have no UB release as yet, and no confirmed date. i thought such avid apple partners would have gotten this sorted by now, a little disappointing. the point of my switching to mac was for the performance of such apps, particularly pro tools.
as soon as digidesign can manage UB i think il be a macbook owner but for now my G4s are still kicking enough ass.. just read about vista cancelling WINFS, what the hell?? apple nailed this technology 3 years ago, pick up microsoft.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 09:49 PM

perfect 2gHz standard White MB in every way except for a string of errors when opening iMovie HD: each plugin appears to be missing. otherwise fear not. I feared before it arrived a week ago. i've looked for numerous issues reported by others and can't find any.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 09:58 PM

( Last edited by rockhaus; Jun 28, 2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: oops. delete duplicate post.)

macwayne
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 10:50 PM

Proud and happy owner of a Blackbook maxxed out with 2Gig of Ram. Never had a day's problem with it (kernel attack once but I believe my niece did it). None of the flaking, mooing, whining or heat problems that has been discussed here. I even got used to the keyboard. If you max out the Ram, even to 1Gig, all the non-universal rosetta apps work fine. They only take a tad longer to load, but the baby flies..

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yakov
mine is 99% perfect
99%?....is the 1% for the flaw you haven't found yet and the fact that nothing is 100% perfect?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

macblackbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 05:50 AM

No problems yet.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2006, 07:21 AM

zany, i was actually thinking of the bezel that was coming out when i got the computer, so i had the bezel replaced, but now it makes little popping noises when i run my fingers along the side where it was coming out before. i don't think it's fixin' to come back out, though, so i'll just leave it alone for now

but also there's a slight noise that goes away with the mirror widget. i wouldn't call it a whine, it's more like hard drive noise -- little clicks. it's so soft, though, that i only notice it when i'm online late at night in a silent house...

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 08:18 AM

Mine is flawless. I've had it for about 2 weeks : no noise (it's virtually silent), the screen is perfect. It gets hot indeed, but it's ok. We have a Dell core duo (Centrino Duo) and the office and it runs hot as well ...

This is the best notebook I have ever had and all my (PC) colleagues are crazy about it !
S k y p a t

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2006, 07:34 PM

Awesome can't wait to get one.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Phil333
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 08:28 PM

Is there any difference in quality/heat/noise between the 1.8 and 2ghz models?

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2006, 08:53 AM

I should mentiont that not only is my MB 100% perfect, this is my favourite computer of all time. My iBook G3 500 was far nicer than my 2 iBook G4 laptops but this MacBook is better than the first icebooks. It's better than any IBM, Toshiba, or Dell laptop that I've had.

MrSoftee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 06:45 PM

Mine's flawless.
MacBook Black 2.0/80/2GB
Apple BT Mouse
iPod Nano 2GB

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 07:18 PM

Just got mine today. Does seem just about perfect. But there is one funny thing, unless I am crazy, that is that the Num Lock key seems to be reversed. That is I can only type letters and use the keyboard normally when num lock is on, i.e. glowing green. No amount of fiddling seems to change this. It's a bit annoying the way it is always glowing like that...

EDIT: Resetting the PRAM fixed the problem. So now I would say mine it flawless. Well too early to tell actually, not really tested it much. But I am very impressed with it.
( Last edited by monkeybrain; Jun 30, 2006 at 07:38 PM. )

TheCreator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 01:12 AM

Mine is pretty damn perfect also, doesn't get all that hot, yet it gets warm but not blazing... Been running like a dream and no physical problems.

It's a week 25 version.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2006, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Yakov
zany, i was actually thinking of the bezel that was coming out when i got the computer, so i had the bezel replaced, but now it makes little popping noises when i run my fingers along the side where it was coming out before. i don't think it's fixin' to come back out, though, so i'll just leave it alone for now

but also there's a slight noise that goes away with the mirror widget. i wouldn't call it a whine, it's more like hard drive noise -- little clicks. it's so soft, though, that i only notice it when i'm online late at night in a silent house...
thanks for clarifying yakov....so other than some popping and HD noise, highly recommended?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 08:55 AM

Best thing I ever owned

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 02:06 PM

Just got a blackbook! So far its amazing. No keyboard issues, no trackpad issues, no mooing, whining, chirping, buzzing, snap crackle and popping, you name it. This thing is dead silent and I can't tell if its making a noise until the A/C in my room turns off and I turn my other computers off as well! Temps idle around 50 and go around to the 75's near full load, though I haven't done anything serious yet (just turned it on for the first time this morning). For me it feels warm but certainly not unbearable. Definately no hotter than any PC laptops I've worked with. Mine appears to be a week 21 build. Wish I could have gotten a 23 or 24 but whatever. It works great so far.

On monday I'm getting 2 GB of ram and a bluetooth mouse. Can't wait.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by boazh
Best thing I ever owned
Damn straight.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
thanks for clarifying yakov....so other than some popping and HD noise, highly recommended?
Absolutely.
(And that's bezel pops, not random pops coming from inside the system)

masugu
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 06:53 PM

Love mine as well...may have mentioned the whiny mechanical sound the DVD drive makes when inserting ir ejecting a disc.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

bryanmsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 10:02 PM

I love this little guy. No issues so far, heat is reasonable at about 30 degrees F. hotter than my PowerBook G4 and the keyboard is just amazing. Until this MacBook, I was convinced Apple didn't know how to make a decent keyboard...

I'm just kicking myself because I took advantage of the Apple Store $100 for 1 GB upgrade, which was a great deal but I've already ordered 2 GB so the original 1GB is wasted.

Very happy so far. Between the keyboard and MagSafe, its totally worth an upgrade from an older PowerBook or iBook. Did I mention its screamin' fast and the battery life seems to be double my (admittedly older) PB G4.

When the fan does come on - and it has at least 2 speeds - its super quiet. I can hear air moving but nothing mechanical or electronic. Just air moving.

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 11:37 PM

You do understand that Boot Camp doesn't require you to erase your Mac HD though? It just simply adds a partition...Just making sure you understood that. Cheers,

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 11:45 PM

but doesn't re-partioning require the HD to be refomatted? or does it depend on if using 3rd party utilities for help?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
but doesn't re-partioning require the HD to be refomatted? or does it depend on if using 3rd party utilities for help?
BootCamp fortunately repartitions on the fly w/o formatting the HD. That is, if you only have one Mac partition on your disk.

I hope Leopard's Disk Utility will offer 'live' repartitioning as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules