Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro just for a few of us?

Mac Pro just for a few of us? (Page 2)
I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard
Core 2 Duo is the second generation of Core Duo. The iMac has 1 Core 2 Duo processor with 2 cores (1 processor x 2 cores = 2), which means it has half the power of a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro has 2 Xeons with 2 cores (2 processors x 2 cores = 4). Xeons also have twice the L2 cache and a faster bus than the iMacs.

The iMacs are for people who don't need power or who are new to a computer. The iMacs are low-end to ALMOST mid-point desktop computers, Mac Pros are high-end desktop computers.
and... if you compare my PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 867Mhz with the 24" New iMac.
How much faster is one from the other. just to know. thanx
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Hobeaux
Sep 9, 2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
and... if you compare my PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 867Mhz with the 24" New iMac.
How much faster is one from the other. just to know. thanx
The iMac and the Mac Pro are significantly faster than your old MDD. As with all hardware and OS upgrades you may have to update your current software for the new machines (assuming that you haven't been keeping up-to-date with your applications) in order to realize that speed.

To check, select an application and then do a "get info" by typing Command-I. At the top of the list (in General section) it will say Kind: Application (Universal) or Application (PPC). If it's PPC then it'll have to upgraded with a Universal version in order to operate at full speed and stability.

You can look at Apple's listing of apps that are Universal:
http://guide.apple.com/universal/

Adobe hasn't updated any of their applications for the Intel-Macs yet. They've stated that they won't release Universal versions of their software until their next natural product cycle. Sooo, Adobe Creative Suite 3 will be when they begin switching to native applications. Adobe hasn't stated a release date yet, but everyone is hoping that CS3 will be available by spring.

Keep your old machine around in case you feel that you need a back-up plan, but the leap in performance (even with Rosetta) will probably keep you from returning.

The only choice you have to make is how much money you're willing to spend.

If you get the iMac, Max out the RAM (3GB), upgrade the video card, and get AppleCare (trust me on this one). Price: $2967US

If you get the mid-range Mac Pro, get as much RAM as you can (4GB+) as it improves performance, upgrade the video card (Radeon X1900 XT), and AppleCare. Price: $4100

Getting the Mac Pro means that you'll have to have to supply your own display. If your current display is DVI then you can use it right away. If you have the clear ADC display, you'll need to get the ADC to DVI display adapter to get it to connect to the DVI ports on the Mac Pro ($100).

The Mac Pro is more expensive, but it's also wicked fast.

Which will last longer? The Mac Pro.
Which is more affordable? The iMac.
Which is right for you? That is for you to decide.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hobeaux
Which will last longer? The Mac Pro.
Which is more affordable? The iMac.
Which is right for you? That is for you to decide.
The Mac Pro will last longer but I don't have that amount of money to spend.

The iMac 24" is more affordable and I can spend that amount of money to get it.

The one that is right for me is the Mac Pro, the one that I can buy is the iMac.

sad truth.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Forum Links
Forum Rules