Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mountainbiking

Mountainbiking
moep
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 12:46 PM

I just started again this summer after taking a 2 year break because... well, I was too darn lazy.
Mainly singletrack trails up and down the local mountain, occasionally I jump in my powerranger suit for faster DH-action with friends. Bought a new bike this year, a '08 Kona Coilair. Very happy with it, climbs like a hardtail and still gives me a chance when trying keep up with my buddies and their nutty 10"/45 lbs DH sleds.

Are there any like-minded mtbers here on macnn? (no, taking that 3" curb while commuting to work does not count )
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2008, 05:53 AM

I dabble in it a bit. No mountains where I live, but plenty of single track not far from my house. I have an 05 Diamondback Response Sport, nothing fancy but gets the job done. I have taken a bit of a break from riding since switching to night shift, but I am trying to not be so lazy and ride before work.

The last two times out have not been good for my bike. First time I hit a blind log sticking out on the trail with my pedal, and flipped over the front of my bike. Bent the brake caliper a bit, handlebar is a little bent also. Wearing a helmet of course. Second time I was clearing a downed tree obstacle and came off of it funny, my foot slipped off the pedal as I was coming down, and I landed hard on the seat, bending the seat mount all the hell. The post was fine, but the seat was toast. I got that replaced, so I am good to go now.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 06:05 AM

I don't mountainbike, the Netherlands are too flat

I race next month through the French Pyrenees with a Garmin Edge 305 GPS
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Are there any like-minded mtbers here on macnn? (no, taking that 3" curb while commuting to work does not count )
... but there are several 3" curbs while commuting to work on Specialized HRXC disc with slicks.
ebuddy

OreoCookie
Jul 13, 2008, 09:04 AM

Yup.
I have a hard tail (Rabe CSR09, a modified Cube bike) with disk brakes and all the trimmings. Say hello to Tank (yes, I gave my bike a nick name, got a problem with that? ).

I usually commute about 4 times a week by bike as training and then go mountain biking in the mountains near Munich once a month or so. I wish I could go more often, but it's not cheap for me …

@moep
Where do you usually go biking? Any recommendations?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

moep  (op)
Senior User
Jul 13, 2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@moep
Where do you usually go biking? Any recommendations?
Nice bike. I actually read the bike's logo as a Cube until you mentioned it's from Rabe, I didn't know they rebrand/modify bikes.

My biking territory is almost exclusively the local mountain (Salzburg's Gaisberg) as I can literally ride from the peak to my backdoor. I quite enjoy the faster trails with few roots, rocks and switchbacks but there's plenty of technical stuff there too.
As an added bonus the paragliders are willing to shuttle a few MTBers up there every now and then for when I feel lazy.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 13, 2008, 12:07 PM

I have a 2007 (or is it an '08?) Specialized Rockhopper, a very nice hardtail mountain bike that lets me ride on the street without much loss of efficiency, as well as offroading. I haven't gotten to real offroad trails yet because I was just getting properly used to the bike when it got HOT here, followed almost immediately by my free time evaporating. I'm going to get going on the bike again this week (I hope), but still on the street. Gotta have the endurance to bike in general before you take on a rough trail, right?

By the way, check out the link in my sig for why I bought a new bike this spring... I didn't do the whole ride, but I was in it! That was a great motivator for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 02:28 PM

I like to mountain bike. I'm not hardcore or anything, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Colorado is an awesome place to mountain bike, there are a crapload of trails everywhere. I live four blocks from a 280 acre park that is great for biking. I've just got a Trek 850 that I picked up on the cheap, it does very well though.

OreoCookie
Jul 13, 2008, 02:45 PM

Rumor has it that the boss of Rabe was one of the founders of Cube, they have at least three shops in Munich now. The staff is great and very kind (my bike shoes were defective and they gave me better ones from a different company for free, etc.). Now they sell so-called `Special Editions' that have better components at the same price than your average Cube.

It's incredibly nimble and very sturdy (well, sturdier than me), hence the nickname tank.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I like to mountain bike. I'm not hardcore or anything, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Colorado is an awesome place to mountain bike, there are a crapload of trails everywhere. I live four blocks from a 280 acre park that is great for biking. I've just got a Trek 850 that I picked up on the cheap, it does very well though.
I used to be stationed at Ft. Carson in Colorado Springs, and we would ride Captain Jacks almost every weekend. Spectacular riding there.

Here is my bike. Hardtail with the trimmings I guess.

OreoCookie
Jul 14, 2008, 05:02 AM

Just got back from the South of France and it's raining here. I'm typing this in the subway … 

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 05:30 AM

I suggest you guys check out the Raleigh Vektar,

With all respect you can keep your Rock Hoopers, the Vektar will leave you in the dust.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I suggest you guys check out the Raleigh Vektar,

With all respect you can keep your Rock Hoopers, the Vektar will leave you in the dust.
No prob. It's a matter of taste. I actually fit on my Rockhopper, which is a first for me. Every other bike I've seen in my adult life has been a compromise between making my back hurt or my legs hurt, while my Rockhopper is tall enough that I can actually adjust it to be too tall for me. What a change! I'm just not into the smaller bikes anyway, but getting one that I can get full leg extension on has been an amazing experience.

UPDATE: I just got back from a nice little "refresher" ride. It felt great to be back on two wheels, and since it's not really hot yet and school is out for the summer (I live next to a high school), it was a really nice ride. Moep, thanks for reminding me to get my tail on my bike!
( Last edited by ghporter; Jul 14, 2008 at 10:07 AM. )

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 02:02 PM

Yep, this thread is going to get me back on my bike again. Friend and I are going to ride on Wednesday, maybe try out a new trail on Thursday.

On topic, has anyone see any of the videos on Youtube from Bikeskills.com? Just wondering if you have, and what you thought about them. Basic stuff it seems, but I enjoyed watching them.

moep  (op)
Senior User
Jul 14, 2008, 02:16 PM

Yeah, there are some really good videos up there.
http://bicycletutor.com/ is also a great resource, although for maintenance tasks instead of riding skills.

While we're on the topic of videos, a friend recently borrowed me a copy of "New World Disorder - 7" (also called NWD 7), I was sceptical as I'm not a fan of videos like this one but the footage is absolutely mind blowing.
It shows the best Freeride-, Dirt- and Streetriders doing their thing and gets really you pumped to go out there and blast down a trail.
A trailer is available here, optionally fast forward to 2:23. Wish I had the balls and skills to pull something like that off.

The video is available on Amazon and *cough* everywhere else *cough*

OreoCookie
Jul 14, 2008, 02:22 PM

Nah, thanks, but no, thanks. I prefer the thrill of going uphill. I'm still learning to ride a bike with some suspension and clicks (= German for clipless pedals, I think that's what you call them).

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 03:24 PM

Here is my latest favorite amateur find on Youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RxyuOqqARSs

Background music: Death Angel - Bored (loved that song way back in the day)

mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 14, 2008, 06:08 PM

I grew up in Morgan Hill, CA, the home of Specialized bikes so I've been into mountain biking for while. I ride a Specialized P.1, which is made for downhill and dirt jumps. I don't really do the cross country thing. I go running for cardio. I mountain bike for sheer speed and adrenaline so I like the shuttle runs. :]

Moep: if you liked New World Disorder, you'd definitely like the movies put out by The Collective. They make the best in the industry. Here's a little snippet from their second one, called ROAM.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=26271391

not all who wander are lost.

moep  (op)
Senior User
Jul 14, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
Moep: if you liked New World Disorder, you'd definitely like the movies put out by The Collective. They make the best in the industry. Here's a little snippet from their second one, called ROAM.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=26271391
Yup, I've already watched most of them, they are indeed great. "Seasons" is my favourite.

Here's of my bike when it was still white.
Why kona decided that white is a good color for a mountainbike that spends 99% of it's time encrusted in mud, I have no idea.

Got really lucky on ebay with it — the bike expired on the german ebay site during a major Euro 2008 soccer match involving the german national team. 1800€ for the brand new bike from a retailer, it usually sells for something just shy of 5000€.

Now I need a new helmet, all I have is a Troy Lee fullface bucket which I never wear while climbing as it's WAY too hot.
I've heard good things about the Giro Xen, also the MET Parachute which is an interesting hybrid between an XC-helm and a fullface:

The chin-guard is detachable which makes this model so interesting to me.
It's on the pricey side (so is the Xen) but saving on the safety equipment is not a good idea.

What are you guys wearing?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2008, 08:15 PM

Yup, I've already watched most of them, they are indeed great. "Seasons" is my favourite.

Here's of my bike when it was still white.
Why kona decided that white is a good color for a mountainbike that spends 99% of it's time encrusted in mud, I have no idea.
So you could tell when you'd gotten it clean, of course! My Rockhopper is white too..
What are you guys wearing?
Mine is a Bell Fusion Venture:

Crappy picture courtesy of Bell-it's a very light, very easy to wear helmet.

cmillerdesign
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2008, 11:14 PM

Started as a road cyclist, got hit one too many times and took up MTB'ing. Great fun and no cars. Still, I do like the speed of an empty asphalt decent!

OreoCookie
Jul 15, 2008, 11:53 AM

I have Xen's little brother Hex. I tried both, they both fit about the same and I couldn't see any reason to pay 50 % more. I can even ride uphill on hotter days without overheating (happend once with a 10-year-old Bell helmet)

Plus, it's battle-tested, a car overtook me and then slammed the brakes. I hit the hard ground in excess of 30 km/h. No damage … to my head (I had a few broken ribs, problems with the ligaments in my left shoulder and almost broke some bones in the right hand). Giro has a crash replacement policy, too

I'm not a downhiller, so I don't really need a chin guard.

@moep
Nice bike. The frame looks really fancy, although I'd prefer black. Is it aluminium or carbon fiber?

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2008, 12:37 PM

I haven't touched my mountainbike since I got one of these, still a great workout, more fun in the single track and it can roost...

OreoCookie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:58 PM

Oh, I hate these things. Somehow (motor) bikers like pretty much the same places at Lake Garda as mountain bikers, although it's illegal for motor bikes to go up. They have killed all the downhill fun there

Regarding workout, is it really a workout? Looks somehow easy compared to going by mountain bike.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Bosell View Post
I haven't touched my mountainbike since I got one of these, still a great workout, more fun in the single track and it can roost...

Heheh, I did the same thing. I ride a road bike during the week for fitness/commuting, but on the weekend it's RM-Z 250 all the way.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Regarding workout, is it really a workout? Looks somehow easy compared to going by mountain bike.
It's an incredible full body workout if you're riding hard.

"The National Sport Health Institute in Englewood, California tested several professional motocross racers in early 1980's as part of a comparative study of the cardio-vascular fitness of athletes from various disciplines. Athletes from track, American football and soccer were tested, among others. Motocross racers get their heart rate up to around 180 to 190 beats per minute and hold it there for about 35 minutes.

The intense physical demand of motocross derives from the fact that the racer of the bike must keep complete control of a 200+ pound bike, while also maintaining their top speed throughout the race."
I'm trying to find the original article, but without any luck. Best bet is to find a buddy who has a motocross bike and ride it on some trails for 30 minutes. Not only is it a killer cardio workout, but your legs and arms will feel like you just went 12 rounds with a professional boxer.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by (s)macintosh View Post
It's an incredible full body workout if you're riding hard.
But it's still not the same as mountainbiking where YOU are the entire motive force. Different mechanics, different set of reflexes and responses. Just plain different.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 09:16 AM

Green bike with white tires, baby! I love that bike. It's a steel hardtail, and it's awesome. Of course, I live in Florida, so no real mountains. We have some abandoned phosphate mines that are pretty cool to ride.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2008, 05:01 PM

I am digging the white tires.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
I am digging the white tires.
They were great in college, because I had no trouble finding it at the bike rack.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2008, 01:14 AM

Sorry to bring this one back, but I have a question.

I would like to make my bike look like this: http://lansing.craigslist.org/bik/761117351.html

I contacted the guy regarding wet sanding the bike down. Has anyone here ever done this? I really hate the paintjob on my bike, and of course, I have some scratches on it. I really like how his looks. Any tips or ideas, like is this a bad idea?

moep  (op)
Senior User
Jul 27, 2008, 02:40 AM

I would guess that the easiest solution would be to bring the frame in and have it sand-blasted by professionals. Stripping all the paint by hand seems like an awful lot of work.

Also keep in mind that blank aluminum will oxidize and look unpleasant over time.
Painting it with a clear coat afterwards is probably a good idea.
Optionally you could polish it first for a pimp shiny/chrome look.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2008, 03:43 AM

I don't mind the work, but disassembling the bike before hand probably will not work for me. I am mechanically inclined, but I have never taken one apart before. I do not have the proper tools or knowledge to take one apart.

One of the women I work with is married to a guy who ran his own body shop. She is pretty knowledgeable about sanding, especially wet sanding. She mentioned 400 or 800 grit sandpaper and some water with just a little bit of dish soap in it.

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 09:58 AM

If the frame is thin walled aluminum (most aluminum frames), be careful of sandblasting or sanding. Use a chemical stripper and some elbow grease. You can use a glass bead blast, but still have to be careful. If you repaint it, you will have to use a etching primer to get the paint to stick properly. The aluminum will oxidize if you leave it raw, but a wipe down with some Boeshield will help. I refinished an old frame and it was more trouble than it was worth. I should have just bought the SS 29er I really really wanted to begin with . . . oh well.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules