Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Question on The Kobhens icon set

Question on The Kobhens icon set
Shenlon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2008, 04:30 PM

I stumbled on this place somehow... I must have been searching for something on Google... I dunno. Anyway, it led me to the customization screenshot thread, where I discovered the incredible Kobhens icon set. Now, the set includes a great number of applications, and I used quite a few of the icons (with Candy Bar, of course). However, due to the limitations of the set, and seeing as how it couldn't include every application under the sun, my GUI set-up isn't consistent.

This is not a problem however, and it isn't my point. A .psd file is included for imitation purposes, though it's highly unnecessary. A simple "Export to ICNS" from CandyBar shows that the icon is simply a bit of text, and the mask is the same, just completely black. They're all only 128x128 as well, which isn't too much of a problem, even though the standard for Leopard is 512x512.

Now, here's the question, however: What font is it? Is this a standard font that I'm not aware of, or is it a custom font? It seems that if it was standard, or easily obtainable, these would be very easy to make, especially given the icon tools that are included in the developer tools and for free elsewhere. I guess what I'm really saying is this: clarkkent, how did you do it, and was it really as easy as it seems like it should be?

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2008, 03:54 AM

That is a good question. I gave up on that icon set, even though I absolutely love it. I don't like it when all of the icons don't match, so I scratched that set. I don't have the skills or the know how to make my own either. Too bad, because that icon set is one of the best I have ever seen.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Shenlon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2008, 12:30 PM

Bah. I figured it out myself. Here's what I found (but someone please correct me if this isn't right):

The font is plain old Helvetica, though it may be Helvetica Neue. The large letters are at 60 pt font, and the smaller ones are 42. The large letters are pure white, except for those black ones in that extras set. The small letters are about 57% grey on the gray scale slider.

I just used the template to eyeball the placement of the words, exported to PNG, imported the PNG into Icon Composer (included in developer tools, and it's awesome!), saved, and stuck the resulting ICNS file into CandyBar. Voila, a TextWrangler icon! Beautiful. Takes me all of five minutes to make a single one. I'm working on an entire system set right now.

I figured it would be easy, but I just didn't know the exact specifications. So... I guess if you want it done right, do it yourself...

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2008, 04:49 PM

Welcome! Good cyphering of the file - it is HelvNeue [btw] but me being too late the hero, here is the original link and files and creator[s]. you might find that all the files you want are already done. Be sure to read the creative license at the bottom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules