Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > problem with Spotlight and a third-party app

problem with Spotlight and a third-party app
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jun 19, 2009, 11:33 AM

Experienced users know that third-party database-type apps can make their entries accessible to Spotlight by depositing special files in ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/[AppName]. I have a number of apps that do this, such as Evernote, MacJournal, DevonThink Pro -- and Safari!

I'm posting here because I'm having trouble with DEVONThink Pro, and the developers are at wit's end (so am I). For reasons that escape me, all of a sudden, the DevonThink Pro entries stopped appearing in Spotlight searches. They can't be excluded from System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results, and besides, nothing has changed there. I have:

1. Made sure that Spotlight indexing is enabled for DTP by going into "database properties" and toggled spotlight indexing on and off (and clicked the "rebuild" button). There are 1211 files with the file extension .dtp1 in ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONThink Pro/[database name]

2. Had Spotlight reindex my hard drive

3. Turned off Spotlight indexing for the DTP database, deleted DTP, restarted, reinstalled DTP, and turned Spotlight indexing on again.

4. Tried to manually reimport the DTP entries by typing

mdimport -r -p -d2 /Applications/DEVONthink\ Pro.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/DEVONthink\ Spotter.mdimporter

The results were:

Total processing time spent in importer plug-ins: 0.000000 seconds for 0 files
Top 0 most expensive files for importer plug-ins:

Any idea as to what could be wrong?

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jun 19, 2009, 12:45 PM

It does work properly in the "guest" account on my Mac. Now I need to figure out how to get it working without starting over from a new account!

Forum Links
Forum Rules