Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > best media center software for Mac?

best media center software for Mac?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jul 4, 2009, 03:58 PM

Which is best? Boxee or Plex?

ibook_steve
Jul 4, 2009, 05:31 PM

I like Boxee. Works great and easy to use.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jul 4, 2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I like Boxee. Works great and easy to use.
Have you tried Plex?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
Have you tried Plex?
Have you tried either? Why don't you try them both and judge them for yourself? Are you looking for specific codecs or features?

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jul 4, 2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Have you tried either? Why don't you try them both and judge them for yourself? Are you looking for specific codecs or features?
Have you tried either? I'm looking for good Netflix (streaming) integration, for one.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 08:05 PM

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
Have you tried either? I'm looking for good Netflix (streaming) integration, for one.
Yup...tried XBMC, Plex, Boxee, and iTheater. I just think it would be helpful to say what you're looking for when you post. If you need NetFlix streaming then say it. Otherwise, most media centers are about the same except aesthetics...unless you need one to run on PPC (which is why I tried iTheater - for an old G4 I had).

OreoCookie
Jul 5, 2009, 03:50 AM

There is another one by equinux called mediacentral. It does music, movies, TV, radio, etc.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
There is another one by equinux called mediacentral. It does music, movies, TV, radio, etc.
I remember trying that one as well but forget why I didn't like it. Recently I've looked at one of their programs, Song Genie, and heard some bad reviews about the company itself...

OreoCookie
Jul 5, 2009, 10:39 AM

I've met the guys from equinux a few years ago, an acquaintance of mine used to work there. They're nice people. Although I can't say much about their products, I don't use them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Seconded for Boxee. Supports Netflix streaming.
Does it support Netflix streaming in full-screen mode? Otherwise there's the simple Understudy plug-in for Front Row, which unfortunately does not seem to have been updated in a while.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jul 6, 2009, 08:06 AM

Tried Boxee yesterday. Found it somewhat confusing, and it didn't work consistently with Netflix. On to Plex...

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jul 8, 2009, 08:29 PM

I have tried Boxee, Plex, and Front Row.

I like Plex, but it is a pain in the @$$ to setup. Pretty confusing at first, then time consuming syncing all your media. When all of that is done, assuming it all worked, it does look really awesome, and the UI is really well done. If there was some sort of a setup wizard built in that would be much better IMO.

Boxee works very much the same as Plex, but is better for online content like Hulu and Netflix. I don't like having to make a user account, and the menu system with Plex seems a bit better in terms of navigation.

Front Row, being built in, is really nice, but is too limited. If you want online content, you're kinda SOL... Yeah there are plug-ins, but they're flakey and lack support. Also, when I try and play a 720p .mkv file on my 46" Samsung LCD TV (MacBook Pro using MDP -> HDMI, QT using Perian plug-in), it gets choppy during playback. Something neither Plex or Boxee did.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 07:03 AM

media central dates about 2 minutes to launch if you have a big library, try the demo first.
The slow launching makes it useless to me.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2009, 11:55 AM

I have tried Boxee and it is a tad overwhelming. If all you want is to stream Netflix to your TV, I highly recommend the Roku. It is only around $100, it's small, easy to configure and easy to use. Since I purchased one I have gotten so much more out of my Netflix account and I just love it. I had considered hooking my Mac up to the TV, but for $100, the Roku was a no-brainer. Even the wife likes it and finds it easier to use than the DVD player.

But if you must insist on using your Mac, you should also consider XBMC. I like it as well, but I don't have an extra Mac to use as a media center.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2009, 03:40 PM

Plex is VERY buggy. For example, at random intervals it stops working with the Apple Remote.

Heymbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: The Greatest Country In History: The United States Of America
Jul 22, 2009, 07:04 PM

Honestly, I have to put in my vote for Front Row

I used to have my iMac hooked up to my HDTV to watch stuff, and didn't complain, but I wanted better HD and less wires. So now I have iTunes, Front Row, the AppleTV, and iPod Video (clickwheel), iPod Touch, and iPhone.

The AppleTV's streaming is flawless, HD is incredible! Plus iTunes plays friendly with Front Row for when playing stuff in my dorm room, and the portable players on the go.
An Apple A Day Keeps The Spyware Away

Forum Links
Forum Rules