Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > combo to go

combo to go
machappy
Forum Regular
May 27, 2001, 01:49 AM

Just got home from Tyson's Corner with my new ibook....you'd think I'd kissed Jesus when I said I wanted to buy the combo drive model. "oh yes the combo model sir. Right away" as he dashed to rear of the store. He reappears barely carrying jack. Just this little box with like a GAP style photo on the side. Yikes.

I was getting ready to part with some serious cheese and this is all I get? Not like the days when my mom bought me a apple II+ at Computerland right down the street in 1983... or was it 84.. Whichever. There were boxes and boxes of stuff. Just like Christmas , but this. This was all business. Excuse the digression. It was a small box.

"You know your one lucky guy, these are hard to find." . "Oh really" I respond like I'm completely unaware, all the while sucking back the excess saliva the thought of this thing is bringing forth,

I cruised dream like to the front counter where I was given my airport card and ibook then promptly robbed of exactly $1983.40 by a custom POS system that would be the envy of any retailer. (totally TOP SECRET: apple plans to sell the POS software..huge baby huge) ,once you sign your digital signature into a aqua themed LCD display you realize apple has left out zero in the detail department. Even the receipt is rad with some Chinese proverb on it saying something like "thanks for the money round eye, see you soon when new model comes by boat."

THIS IS A TIGHT-ASS SHIP.

The cashier at the counter knew all about my new "duel boot" baby. Dual boot? I read that someplace before going there. Anyhow, I knew it wasn't dual boot in the windows sense but instead the startup disk control panel that allowed you to select OSX or 9.1 and so did he, he also knew the key combo to allow you to choose what volume at startup. I was impressed. Think of the cashier at compusa....get the picture here?

This is a full frontal attack at a retail presence.

ATTENTION Gateway, please pack up your cow box having asses and leave the scene
ATTENTION Comp-usa please turn your ghetto-ass Apple Store into the storage room it already is.

APPLE HAS ARRIVED!

Hold on, I just noticed something...1983-84 I got a apple II+ then in 2001 I spent $1983.40 on a new ibook....thats scary....

Da book

One word...sweet. If you are one to appreciate 3D eye candy, this little gem running OSX is about as close the pearly gates as you get.

Pearly is right, the exterior looks to be shat by a god or something..it is blindingly white and with that nutty blue aqua theme going on in the middle, makes for a very gripping experience.

Its kinda ging (ging is a word created to describe the sparkle on the teeth of a tooth paste model) now but with time this baby will look like something from Bladerunner, all ganked up with scratches, stickers and stuff..the way I like it..bad ging bad.

Apples tightness moves throughout them. The computer is like the store. Tight. I was worried that mine might have the dreaded 15 second eject problem or the 30 second wake from sleep problem or any of the other **** I had run across on the message boards in preparation for my big buy..
But it don�t..they musta fixed that **** cause mine works like a champ.
Runs all the killa Appz with the quickness.

One thing that I really wanted to see is how they pulled off the
VGA adapter design, for some reason when I heard that, I was thinking what kind of hell one of those nasty, fat, twisted up like a top, monitor cables was going to reek on a little sub 5 lightweight. But like everything Apple. Perfection. The adapter it comes with tames the ugly vga cable nicely and its a modern looking plug, so it look very uniform next to the firewire and usb.

OSX.3 seems much quicker then on the bronze 400PB I replaced. Pretty damn usable. That�s all. I don't know jack about OSX so that�s it.

Burned CD's and played DVDs just like the box says. Works with Toast 5 too. Hmmmwhat else...oh yeah the screen is the bomb too,very crispery. hehe crispery hickery.

I wonder how long it will be until iPhoto (iView) hits the apple software collection. Seems like its now a necessary move with their whole life style hub idear...

I'm sleepy.

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 27, 2001, 02:01 AM

machappy,

You are undoubtedly the most envied iBook owner at this moment!!!!!

Congrats on your coup!

Karen

todrain
Senior User
May 27, 2001, 02:20 AM

I can't wait until the open the Apple store in Dallas!

paterss
Forum Regular
May 27, 2001, 04:22 AM

You sound like Kerouac , some fleeting impressionistic moment from On The Road...

sweet though.. hope to get one soon myself - in one form or another..

Stuart

------------------
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 27, 2001, 10:56 AM

I cruised dream like to the front counter where I was given my airport card and ibook then promptly robbed of exactly $1983.40 by a custom POS system that would be the envy of any retailer....Even the receipt is rad with some Chinese proverb on it saying something like "thanks for the money round eye, see you soon when new model comes by boat."
This is the hardest I have laughed in about three months.

Pearly is right, the exterior looks to be shat by a god or something..it is blindingly white and with that nutty blue aqua theme going on in the middle, makes for a very gripping experience.
Run it with the Flower Power desktop pattern -- you'll soon need to be hospitalized and sedated.

------------------
"I'm an award-winning
creative, the rules of society
no longer apply to me."
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Forum Links
Forum Rules