Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why does remote MBP on LAN disappear from Finder sidebar when I click on its icon?

Why does remote MBP on LAN disappear from Finder sidebar when I click on its icon?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Mar 23, 2014, 03:38 PM

This is really odd. I've replaced ethernet cables and what not, but most of the time, when I try to connect to the MBP on my LAN, it will initially disappear from the sidebar before reappearing. The errors in my system log look like this:

Mar 23 02:18:57 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: NAHSelectionAcquireCredential complete: iakerb 139410F5-F9D9-EDFD-BB1B-3ECBA8EAE6C1 - <email>: GSSCred: 0x7fe9fbe34b50 <MC: iakerb com.apple.idms.appleid.prd.74344e736...COM.APPLE.LKDC>
Mar 23 02:18:57 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: major error <1> Miscellaneous failure (see text)
Mar 23 02:18:57 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - Login failed with 80
Mar 23 02:18:57 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: NAHSelectionAcquireCredential complete: iakerb 4FA4488A-C348-4E76-56BF-15BBBBB9872D - <user>: GSSCred: 0x7fe9fbd5ceb0 <MC: iakerb <user>@WELLKNOWN:COM.APPLE.LKDC>
Mar 23 02:18:57 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: major error <1> Miscellaneous failure (see text)
Mar 23 02:18:57 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - Login failed with 80
Mar 23 02:18:57 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: NAHSelectionAcquireCredential The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.NetworkAuthenticationHelper error -1765328228 - acquire_kerberos failed <user>@LOCAL: -1765328228 - unable to reach any KDC in realm LOCAL, tried 0 KDCs)
Mar 23 02:18:59 Musa.local Screen Sharing[22123]: No valid display name
Mar 23 02:19:01 Musa.local NetAuthSysAgent[22122]: NAHSelectionAcquireCredential The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.NetworkAuthenticationHelper error -1765328372 - acquire_kerberos failed com.apple.idms.appleid.prd.74344e736...COM.APPLE.LKDC: -1765328372 - KDC policy rejects request)

I've done some searching on the web for this sort of error, and found this article.

But I don't think that the issue is password incompatibility or out-of-date caches. I'm also a bit confused as to why Kerberos is involved in these AFP connections.

In any case, I'm fresh out of ideas as to how to fix this problem. I've tried repairing my keychain (no errors) and deleting all keychain entries pertaining to the remote MBP, and initially they seem to help, but then the previous behavior returns.

iCanHelp!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2014, 01:11 AM

Hello Le Flaneur,

I believe your issue is being caused by an issue with iCloud conflicting with local DNS lookup. This is also why Kerberos is involved. The Finder in some of the most recent versions of OSX is very slow at repopulating the Shared items list, especially when iCloud is involved. This is also why it shows your email address in the system log. This would be your AppleID. If you turn off Back to My Mac in iCloud System Preferences and restart just to be safe, does this issue go away?

I've seen this kind of thing before. Let me know what you find.

Joe

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Apr 2, 2014, 08:09 AM

Hi ICanHelp!

Thanks for writing!

Unfortunately, "Back to My Mac" is off on that computer -- indeed, it's off on all computers on my LAN.

I've upgraded that computer to Mavericks (10.9.2), and the problem hasn't recurred yet.

iCanHelp!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2014, 07:17 PM

Really?! Interesting. Well, I do hope the 10.9.2 update has fully resolved this issue for you. Just curious, did you ever have Back to My Mac turned on on that machine since upgrading to 10.9?

I myself have had this issue a couple times but not consistently. In my case, if it wouldn't connect the 2nd time I just Force Quit the Finder and upon relaunch the list repopulated and it then worked. It always seemed to be after I had been away from home and then returned home. When I was away it showed my Back to My Mac computers at home but it's like it didn't flush that info once I was back inside my own network.

Did you ever perform any sort of DNS cache flush when the issue was happening?
dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Anyway, regardless, glad it's working for you!

Joe

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Apr 3, 2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by iCanHelp! View Post
Really?! Interesting. Well, I do hope the 10.9.2 update has fully resolved this issue for you. Just curious, did you ever have Back to My Mac turned on on that machine since upgrading to 10.9?
I don't think so. I do have "Find My Mac" turned on.

Originally Posted by iCanHelp
I myself have had this issue a couple times but not consistently. In my case, if it wouldn't connect the 2nd time I just Force Quit the Finder and upon relaunch the list repopulated and it then worked. It always seemed to be after I had been away from home and then returned home. When I was away it showed my Back to My Mac computers at home but it's like it didn't flush that info once I was back inside my own network.

Did you ever perform any sort of DNS cache flush when the issue was happening?
dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
I'll have to try it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules