Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple earns $51.5 billion in fiscal Q4, $11.1 billion profit

Apple earns $51.5 billion in fiscal Q4, $11.1 billion profit
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 27, 2015, 04:50 PM

Apple revenues rose 25 percent year-over-year to $51.5 billion in its fourth fiscal quarter, which ended in September with just a week or so of availability for its latest iPhones, the company has announced. Profits were up 30 percent to $11.1 billion, while earnings per share climbed from $1.42 to $1.96, a 38 percent increase. The results beat consensus analyst estimates of $51.11 billion in revenue. International sales jumped to 62 percent of revenue, fueled by strong growth in China.

Gross margin increased substantially, from 38 percent to 39.9 percent over last year. "The growth was fueled by record fourth quarter sales of iPhone, the expanded availability of Apple Watch, and all-time records for Mac sales and revenue from services," the company said in a statement. "Fiscal 2015 [overall] was Apple's most successful year ever, with revenue growing 28 percent to nearly $234 billion," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "This continued success is the result of our commitment to making the best, most innovative products on earth, and it's a testament to the tremendous execution by our teams."

"We are heading into the holidays with our strongest product lineup yet, including iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, Apple Watch with an expanded lineup of cases and bands, the new iPad Pro and the all-new Apple TV which begins shipping this week," he added. For the December quarter, Apple is guiding revenues between $75.5 billion and $77.5 billion -- slightly below early analyst consensus -- and a gross margin of 39-40 percent.

"Apple's record September quarter results drove earnings per share growth of 38 percent and operating cash flow of $13.5 billion," said Luca Maestri, Apple's CFO. "We returned $17 billion to our investors during the quarter through share repurchases and dividends, and we have now completed over $143 billion of our $200 billion capital return program."

Apple is expecting operating expenses of between $6.3 billion and $6.4 billion, along with other income expense of $400 million in the first fiscal quarter, which ends December 31. The tax rate for that quarter is expected to be 26.2 percent. The quarterly dividend will be 52 cents per share, and will pay out on November 12 to shareholders of record as of November 9. MacNN will provide live coverage of the conference call with analysts beginning at 5PM Eastern today.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 27, 2015 at 06:08 PM. )

aroxnicadi
Oct 27, 2015, 05:12 PM

Better start innovativing and stop resting on your laurels. Other than a wrist watch you really haven't brought out anything in four years that is really disruptive and the car is still at least three years away.

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2015, 05:34 PM

Maybe now they can pay their store employees for the time they are forced to wait in line for security checks at the end of the day.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2015, 05:49 PM

aroxnicadi: you are kidding right? Apple Pay? Stores? CarPlay? TV as apps? Touch ID? ALL of that came from Apple, not the imitators, and that's just a partial list!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Grendelmon
Senior User
Oct 27, 2015, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Martin View Post
aroxnicadi: you are kidding right? Apple Pay? Stores? CarPlay? TV as apps? Touch ID? ALL of that came from Apple, not the imitators, and that's just a partial list!
I believe he's talking new hardware products.

The watch wasn't exactly the "next big thing." And Phil really made his point that they still have their innovative touch by announcing the Pro, and then left it abandoned for years.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 28, 2015, 04:30 AM

I just wish they'd get their core software back in the game again.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by aroxnicadi View Post
Better start innovativing and stop resting on your laurels. Other than a wrist watch you really haven't brought out anything in four years that is really disruptive and the car is still at least three years away.
Yes, they're obviously just resting on their laurels.

I really wish people could be held accountable for the crap they post via a "remote slap" feature built into all internet-capable hardware.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2015, 09:40 AM

It's a wonder some of these posters' phones aren't ringing off the hook with multi-million dollar offers from Apple to be their new CEO and turn around the struggling company with their revolutionary ideas and incredible business insight.

Anytime a sentence starts with "Apple had better..." or "You know what Apple should do..." I just roll my eyes. Usually the sentence ends with "...make this product or do this thing specifically for me and my individual, unique tastes."

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 28, 2015, 10:05 AM

@Diablo - Here's the thing, I'm old enough to remember what made Apple successful long before they'd ever heard of smart-phones. I'm also familiar with what made OS X so great, and what they are currently failing at in that regard. And, I've also invested a lot of time into studying why businesses and entrepreneurs are successful.

Let's just put it this way... just because you're rolling in cash from a hot product, you don't get to toss all of that previous stuff out the windows without negative repercussions. And Apple's success is based on user-experience more than record profit margins. If they lose the former, the latter will go with it.

That said, yes, I'd personally like a phone sized phone. Or, good UI principals on the OSs. Or, core apps that actually work. Or, to not have to deal with M$ type setup stupidity. Or, products that are tested enough before release that there is a *reasonable* expectation they'll actually work. Stuff like that...
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 28, 2015, 10:09 AM

Or, that I realize that Apple has built up enough momentum that they could royally screw up and still be quite 'successful' for the next couple of years by the books. It's after that that has me currently worried.
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Grendelmon
Senior User
Oct 28, 2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
Let's just put it this way... just because you're rolling in cash from a hot product, you don't get to toss all of that previous stuff out the windows without negative repercussions. And Apple's success is based on user-experience more than record profit margins. If they lose the former, the latter will go with it.

I mean, they might as well just (once again) change the company name, to something like... "iPhone, Inc."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2015, 07:58 PM

Except that if you subtract ALL of that iPhone revenue, that's still several metric SHITtons of money.

Apple without the iPhone would still be a huge company, making a lot of money.

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2015, 05:36 AM

Where is the obligatory Apple is Doomed! post? And please note that that is doomed with a capital D, that's how you know it is serious.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 29, 2015, 02:33 PM

@Grendelmon - First, there wouldn't be an iPhone with that kind of thinking. Second, putting all the eggs in the iPhone basket might work RIGHT NOW, but it's short-term thinking (which, is why I'm concerned about Apple... because that sure seems like what they are doing).
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules