Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Fizzilla - Mozilla Pr3 Plus for OS X - Awsome

Fizzilla - Mozilla Pr3 Plus for OS X - Awsome
MrK
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2000, 02:12 PM

Wow. This is even better than the Netscape 6Pr3. It runs really well on OS X. Pages load very fast, and the only bugs seem to be with the nonstandard themes. You get weird cursor placement, plank box in upper corner of screen, etc. Other than that, it actually downloads direct to Stuffit for really fast file decompression, looks good, and aside from poorly implemented menus for File, Edit, View, etc.... looks really good too.

If they can work the visual kinks out and get this thing to adopt to Aqua interface, it will bury the version of IE 5 currently ported to carbo...

UPDATE: Ok so it isn't that stable, particularly if you log in/out, multi-user etc. And the display problems are more than minor, including making some type fonts VERY large on a page and others very small. I have noticed this on IRCStep and a few otherapps too, I think it is an Aqua interface problem that needs to be addressed. Anyway, it is still more stable than OmniWeb, at least on my machine and faster than either Omni or IE 5. Not bad for a compile of a post major release week of new stuff...

JM

[This message has been edited by MrK (edited 10-06-2000).]

gmpierce
Oct 11, 2000, 08:16 AM

I grabbed Fizzilla in hopes of getting its news capability to work under OS X. However, despite being able to add a news server and subscribe to newsgroups, it forgets all of its subscription settings every time its re-started. I checked my home Documents folder where all the preferences are stashed, and it seems to be creating brand new newsrc files everytime it starts.

Anybody run across this problem and know how to work around it?

gveloper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2000, 02:48 PM

Wild.... I downloaded the latest fizzilla (10.5.00) and under OS X beta, The drop down menus work at first, but then they start appearing at odd places on the screen instead of where they should, many times completely outside the fizzilla window.

Dave
---
Dave Smith
[email protected] - AIM: Gveloper
KF4YYT

citoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2000, 05:21 PM

If you want an Aqua interface there are only two possible solutions.

One. Someone can brave the Apple's rage, and make an Aqua skin for Mozilla. Currently, there is a skin for the classic Mac interface (ie, OS 8+) as well as the new "modern" skin. All the widgets (buttons, checkboxes, etc.) are taken from the Modern skin if a new skin does not provide its own (well, the technicaly the default skin. In Netscape's case this is "Modern," for Mozilla it is "classic"). Thus, if an Aqua interface is desired, someone must skin it.

The other option is to make a native interface (Carbon or Cocoa) for the Gecko/Mozilla back end. This could use either the Carbonized FizzillaCFM back end, or the BSD FizzillaMachO utilized back end.

Either way, I'd like to see more Carbon builds of Moz. I had been downloading nightlies until OS X arrived. Now I have no reason to, unless I want to run them under Classic. Ug.

------------------
One fish, Two fish, Red
fish, Blue fish.
"For once timid traveler, be careless and utterly lose your way." -Rabindranath Tagore

jimothy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2000, 10:34 AM

Does anybody know if Netscape ever plans on releasing a Mac version of Mozilla, instead of this Windows version that happens run on Mac OS X? You know, a version with the proper keyboard short cuts, menus that appear in the proper place, "widgets" that look like they should?

I don't understand why the developers went with this silly "skins" kick in the first place. Why not just use what the targeted OS provides? This way, the Mac OS 8/9 users would get what they expect, as would Mac OS X, Windows, etc. users. I would think that this would have saved them time, since they wouldn't have to roll their own, and it would certain save the users a lot of frustration.

jimothy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2000, 10:35 AM

don't hit the back button...it'll make you double post.

[This message has been edited by jimothy (edited 10-13-2000).]

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2000, 04:37 PM

*Does anybody know if Netscape ever plans on releasing a Mac version of Mozilla, instead of this Windows version that happens run on Mac OS X? You know, a version with the proper keyboard short cuts, menus that appear in the proper place, "widgets" that look like they should?*

As far as I know, most of the features of Mozilla/Fizilla/Netscape PR3 are common across all three platforms, because the program at its basest level is all XML. All the operating system does is load a window in which all the XML code can operate. Could be wrong on this, but I think that's what it is...
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2000, 09:06 PM

Yes, Mozilla esentially rolled their own UI language called XUL which makes a lot more of the source code cross-platform. It also gives people the ability to build applications that run "inside the browser". There was a skin editor built using Mozilla as the platform.

But I agree.... it's butt f**king ugly and doesn't allow it to work like it should on all platforms. Mozilla/Netscape 6 is much better under Classic Mac OS where it uses the actual menu bar. It becomes a little more tolerable that way. I think they should do the same for the OS X build.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2000, 10:59 PM

I am new to Unix. I went to the frizzila website to download the recent builds of mozzilla for OS X but all I saw were pieces that needed to be re-compiled. I know how to install packages and un pack them. Are there any pre-compiled packages of frizzila available? If so can someone put a link in the reply so I and others can find it easily? Thanks!
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

citoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2000, 03:06 AM

The most recent Fizzilla builds can be found at ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/contrib/fizzillacfm/

Probably the best way to get a native interface for Mozilla, is for someone to write a native program which uses the Gecko rendering engine for its browser ability.

XUL is a powerfull tool for enabling Mozilla to be compleatly cross-platform (somewhere arround 98% of the code is platform independant, and thus reusable), however it can create more problems if not implemented correctly. Currently there is now Aqua theme for Mozilla. Getting the menu in the global menubar is a major concern at the moment.

------------------
One fish, Two fish, Red fish, Blue fish.
"For once timid traveler, be careless and utterly lose your way." -Rabindranath Tagore

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2000, 03:15 AM

I'd strongly recommend OmniWeb before Fizzila, or IE 5. It's the fastest out there, totally cocoa'ed (none of this MS carbonising everything crap). More stable than either.

Try it - www.omnigroup.com

Plus, The Omni Group hasn't got their heads shoved so far up their collective asses that they ignore their customers. Makes a nice change to send a suggestion through and actually get a response from the company

------------------
"The pen is mightier than the sword" -- Sylvester Stallone gives a new perspective on irony

[This message has been edited by jamesa (edited 10-14-2000).]

Moonmonkey
Oct 16, 2000, 04:23 AM

If you are viewing webpages with lots of Layers, Fizzilla is the only option on OSX, IE5 and Omniweb still have big problems.
The rendering engine is great but the UI is crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules