Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cipher VS Ca$h

Cipher VS Ca$h (Page 2)
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2001, 08:16 PM

(take a look at MTVs spring break or something, more and more people are getting them, why? Because they are cool)
Dude, you think anything that appears on MTV isn 't mass-produced, corporate advertising? Every person who appears on any of those shows is interviewed and auditioned before being allowed to appear on camera. It's all planned and posed.

Sure, all the people on MTV are hip. That's why they play all that Britney Spears and N'Sync. . .

[This message has been edited by Don Pickett (edited 02-28-2001).]
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2001, 08:22 PM

Ahem...

remember that ca$h likes britney spears... (so do I)

n'sync is just weird, although they played it alot at summer camp. so i'm used to it...

------------------
Kiss My Face.
Eew! You ACTUALLY kissed me!
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

The Dude
Banned
Feb 28, 2001, 08:27 PM

MTV eh?

Well, lets all hold hands and remember how our dear cashie boy isn't a conformist.

BAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAH!!!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2001, 08:32 PM

remember that ca$h likes britney spears... (so do I)
No, Ca$h wants to bone Britney. There is a difference.

Unless he also likes her music. Hey, Ca$h, you walk around Madison singing Britney?

Oh yeah - what's with the 68? Missed 69 by one?

[This message has been edited by Don Pickett (edited 02-28-2001).]

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by quitbanningme68:
Gee, somebody has PMS. Unfortunatly, your low intellect made you have quite a few WRONG assumptions. I don't 'sag' my pants, I'm white, and I know I'm white, so I wouldn't do that. And no, tribal tattoos aren't cutting edge, but they are very hip (take a look at MTVs spring break or something, more and more people are getting them, why? Because they are cool), and the beauty of tribal is I think it gets back to the basics. One color, and a design that holds such power and energy.

Take a nap and pull the stick outta your ass turd burglar.

- Ca$h
you judge coolness by what you see on tv, far worse Mtv? seriously man. i thought you were a more interesting person than that.

machappy
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2001, 12:05 AM

MTV? damn I forgot man... I checked it out and your right, ALL the dudes on MTV have'm hmmm what was I thinkin' .. sorry cent$ you're the mac daddy of all things stylie.
Keep doing that E man its making you so smart. Your artistic awareness has obviously been so enhanced that the average untainted individual like myself can not even begin to grasp the depth and intensity of your designs.
But now that I look at it, it brings to mind a quote by the great white MTV Prot�g� 'Vanilla Ice'
'Word to YOUR Mother my brother, Word to YOUR Mother'
Sh*t I'm feeling hipper already. wadda ya think. Am I f*cking cool or what.. Word to your mother...check check...one two one two.aaaaahhh yeahhhhhh.
Man if your ever in DC drop me a note and we can hang out. I kinda like this MTV stuff.
check check..one two one two..Throw your hands in da air and wave them like you got a stick in your derriere...yoyoyo
peace out
word up

[This message has been edited by machappy (edited 02-28-2001).]

Cipher13
Mar 1, 2001, 04:21 AM

ROFL, man, thats the second funniest thing I've read all week (the funniest was bagging out Misha, so thats kinda hard to compare with... )
Ca$h... you did really back yourself into a corner there. LOL.
I don't mind the tribal design, but, I much prefer the sleek, straight black.
Oh, and BTW Ca$h - I think we have a winner *lifts up mouse of my 5500*
Ah damn, I can't do that... she's still getting serviced

Cipher13

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2001, 04:24 AM

I demand a recount! I think I might have voted for buschanan instead!

------------------
Kiss My Face.
Eew! You ACTUALLY kissed me!

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2001, 04:47 AM

YEAH! GO ALL BLACK! GO 5500! TRIBAL IMACS STINK! YEAH!!!

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

[This message has been edited by Norm1985 (edited 03-01-2001).]

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2001, 04:55 AM

Ca$h didn't answer my question about the nino. He loses on topicality.

------------------
Kiss My Face.

Soap is cool!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2001, 11:45 AM

originally posted by Albert Wu:
n'sync is just weird, although they played it alot at summer camp. so i'm used to it...
Summer camp?

Albert Wu, you frighten me.

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 1, 2001, 03:12 PM

Bla bla bla OK SO I DID BACK myself into a corner with the mtv comment. Yes, it is mass produced. True. But come on, thats because its cool. I've liked tribal for a couple years now (have a tribal collection on my puter), and now its the IN thing. Does that mean I should change? Nah. I think I'll keep liking it, like I have been. What was the question about the nino? I'll try to answer it.

- Ca$h <--- Pot makes you stupid, it sucks, and I hate cipher

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2001, 03:21 PM

Tribal the "in thing"? You do live in the sticks.

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 1, 2001, 03:32 PM

It is. Walk into Maurices, Pacific Sunwear, Gadzooks, American Eagle, hell, even Kohls! What do you see in the mens section? Yep. Tribal sweatshirts, t shirts, yadda yadda.. It's like last years whole 'dragon' obsession. (year of hte dragon)

- Ca$h

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2001, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
Tribal the "in thing"? You do live in the sticks.
Easy, Don. Lot a people in dem dair sticks, armed with Leinenkugel bottles. Those are my people.

T

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2001, 03:39 PM

It is. Walk into Maurices, Pacific Sunwear, Gadzooks, American Eagle, hell, even Kohls! What do you see in the mens section? Yep. Tribal sweatshirts, t shirts, yadda yadda.. It's like last years whole 'dragon' obsession. (year of hte dragon)

That's my point. It's been corporatized and homgonized and is now safe and accepted. Hardly cutting edge.

And what does the "68" mean?

[This message has been edited by Don Pickett (edited 03-01-2001).]

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 1, 2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:

That's my point. It's been corporatized and homgonized and is now safe and accepted. Hardly cutting edge.

And what does the "68" mean?

[This message has been edited by Don Pickett (edited 03-01-2001).]
Year of my charger. Everyone thinks it has some perverted undertone, but nope. Just dig my wheels.

- Ca$h

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2001, 03:47 PM

You know, the first thing I noticed when I moved to Wisconsin was how behind the trends everyone was.

The tribal thing is long gone everywhere else (with the exception of many regrettable tatoos) but still cool in WI. Ca$h just needs a bad Goatee, some dirty flannel, and an eyebrow piercing to be as "Cool" as everyone else in town. He has already got the little car with bad mag wheels. (Hey, ya got a coffee can stuck on the end of the exhaust system yet??)

Really, it's just sad.

(In Fairness, Utah is behind the times, but the stupid trends like Tribal Tatoos and piercings never even catch on here. It makes for a much saner way of life!)

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2001, 04:24 PM

- Ca$h
yikes. i thought you thinking it was cool because it was on emptyV was bad....

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 1, 2001, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
You know, the first thing I noticed when I moved to Wisconsin was how behind the trends everyone was.

The tribal thing is long gone everywhere else (with the exception of many regrettable tatoos) but still cool in WI. Ca$h just needs a bad Goatee, some dirty flannel, and an eyebrow piercing to be as "Cool" as everyone else in town. He has already got the little car with bad mag wheels. (Hey, ya got a coffee can stuck on the end of the exhaust system yet??)

Really, it's just sad.

(In Fairness, Utah is behind the times, but the stupid trends like Tribal Tatoos and piercings never even catch on here. It makes for a much saner way of life!)

So wait, what are you saying? See, I'm saying that Tribal is cool here, its cool in Arizona (saw it there too), and its on TV. Maybe the reality is that Utah is to mormon/conservative for anything to catch on except offroading and driving big trucks. Same with piercings. Piercings are cool, although I don't have one, but a lot of people do, here, on tv, in the media, and rock/pop/punk stars whatever. I bet that you're just kinda pissed that your rents won't let you.

- Ca$h

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2001, 05:33 PM

So wait, what are you saying? See, I'm saying that Tribal is cool here, its cool in Arizona (saw it there too), and its on TV. Maybe the reality is that Utah is to mormon/conservative for anything to catch on except offroading and driving big trucks. Same with piercings. Piercings are cool, although I don't have one, but a lot of people do, here, on tv, in the media, and rock/pop/punk stars whatever. I bet that you're just kinda pissed that your rents won't let you.

- Ca$h

'K, Gonna let this one pass, except for 1 thing. I'm 22 years old. I have been on my own since I was 17. I work hard, and it has paid off. In the past year, I have put more into my parents retirement accounts, then they have their whole lives.

So, as far as my "rents" not letting me do anything, it's quite the other way around. They ask me when they want something.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2001, 10:17 PM

I wish I could do that... Frankly, I live at least a 10 min walk from anywhere usefull to go, and it's not practical to bike because I live on a steep hill and it's hell to get back up, so I have to have my parents drive me everywhere. Also, all my friends live on the other side of san jose, which makes it hard to get to them, and people here drive like crazy.

I want independence. I could get a job as a networking consultant, web page designer, or many other things. I just need a way to get there. CA public transportation sucks.

I have to walk 15 min to a VTA stop, take that to a caltrans station, take that to Bart if im going to east bay or take it to the light rail station if im going downtown, take that whereever I have to go, and then walk.

its impractical and stupid. I admire japan's system. A subway station every few blocks, timely, fast trains, and going everywhere in japan.

Also, japan's ONE system will take you anywhere in the city and surrounding areas, without all this caltrans vta light rail bart crap.

Taxi's here? nope. you have to call them on the phone and they will send it out, but there aren't any driving around that you can hail.

does anyone have any thoughts about independence? is it overrated? how does it compare to being confined to a chair all day sitting at a desk typing posts to MacNN?

------------------
Kiss My Face.

Soap is cool!

[This message has been edited by AlbertWu (edited 03-01-2001).]

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2001, 10:22 PM

Mmm... I love New York City. We have a subway system that's dirty, full of scratchiti and bums, and crowded.

And it's a great system. Because you can't get lost in NYC! You can wander around anywhere, and there'll be a train station. Having all kinds of subway lines comes in very handy this way.. a nondriver such as myself can go anywhere in the five boroughs for $1.50, and never have to worry about parking.

------------------
Graphite iMac DV/SE (400MHz, 128 MB RAM, DVD, 13GB HD)
Coming Up Next: 500MHz Titanium PowerBook G4!

Some people call me the space cowboy. Yeah. Some call me the gangster of love. Some people call me Maurice (woo hoo!), 'cause I speak of the pompitous of love.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2001, 10:27 PM

if I want to buy a soda, I have to walk 10 min to a gas station or supermarket. we don't have soda's at home. If I want to visit apple(one of the advantages of living here,) I have to bike (out of walking distance) for at least 15 min.

cupertino is small in terms of area (compared to san jose) but its a long strip, so getting places takes a while. I'm at the far end of the strip next to saratoga.

------------------
Kiss My Face.

Soap is cool!

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2001, 10:30 PM

I've always wanted to see the Apple campus. $1.50 won't get you there from here. I've biked from one end of Brooklyn to the other end of Manhattan (it takes a couple of hours) a lot during the summer... I can imagine having a lot of fun with that in Cupertino.

------------------
Graphite iMac DV/SE (400MHz, 128 MB RAM, DVD, 13GB HD)
Coming Up Next: 500MHz Titanium PowerBook G4!

Some people call me the space cowboy. Yeah. Some call me the gangster of love. Some people call me Maurice (woo hoo!), 'cause I speak of the pompitous of love.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2001, 10:40 PM

The 5500 is way more evil looking. Apple should make a pitch black iMac - no translucant materials - except if it had a black light inside and glowed too.

2600 rules!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2001, 02:16 AM

Heh, I think that would not be allowed by the FCC... too much radiation coming out of one thing . Black light would be cool though. With a material like the one in my uniball, just BARELY translucent.

------------------
Kiss My Face.

Soap is cool!

The Dude
Banned
Mar 2, 2001, 02:57 AM

- Ca$h
Ca$h, face it. Who ever doesn't agree with you, you shoot them down. Seemingly regardless of the subject or what the disagreement was. I have seen this in you since the day you came onto these forums, and with other forums. I see it as a character flaw. Hopefully, for your sake, it will be one that can be eliminated with age and knowledge.

Ca$shlessSociety
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 09:13 AM

The Dude!

Whatcha talking about?!?
How can somebody wiffout no ammo shoot nobody down???

You mean "take a shot at"?
Pop guns, my dear. Mere pop guns.

aussie
Mar 2, 2001, 09:18 AM

I cannae decide but good luck to the both of yous

g'day
g'day

aussie
Mar 2, 2001, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by gorefan68:
K. Which computer do you think looks better?

In the left corner, we have the austrailian semi rare Macintosh 5500, in black shorts!

In the right corner, we have the one of a kind, custom 'original' frankeniMac, in green and black tribal!

FIGHT!

>ding ding!<
Well the mac 5500 is from the land of oz so frankenstein you lose out, sorry
g'day

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 2, 2001, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by The Dude:
Ca$h, face it. Who ever doesn't agree with you, you shoot them down. Seemingly regardless of the subject or what the disagreement was. I have seen this in you since the day you came onto these forums, and with other forums. I see it as a character flaw. Hopefully, for your sake, it will be one that can be eliminated with age and knowledge.
NO dude. See, I say that tribal is cool. Then some snobby "I'm better than you new yorker or boston person" comes along and is like "HahAHa. Hey Buffy, wisconsin is so behind the times, tribal was cool back in the day when we were playing croquet and sipping ice tea. It was a jolly good time."

Ok, then I provide countless examples of why it IS the 'in' thing such as its being sold everywhere, its all over TV, its in movies, its in magazines, and yet they still disagree. Thats like saying "Pokemon" wasn't a 'big' thing. It's bullsh*t! I'm not argueing for the sake of argueing, I'm argueing because I have evidence to support my view, and the snobby new yorkers have nothing other than "I went to wisconsin once and it sucked", which is a completely bogus theory, as you've never been to madison.

- Ca$h

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2001, 06:07 PM

NO dude. See, I say that tribal is cool. Then some snobby "I'm better than you new yorker or boston person" comes along and is like "HahAHa. Hey Buffy, wisconsin is so behind the times, tribal was cool back in the day when we were playing croquet and sipping ice tea. It was a jolly good time."

Ok, then I provide countless examples of why it IS the 'in' thing such as its being sold everywhere, its all over TV, its in movies, its in magazines, and yet they still disagree. Thats like saying "Pokemon" wasn't a 'big' thing. It's bullsh*t! I'm not argueing for the sake of argueing, I'm argueing because I have evidence to support my view, and the snobby new yorkers have nothing other than "I went to wisconsin once and it sucked", which is a completely bogus theory, as you've never been to madison.

- Ca$h
Dude...

1. It is spelled Arguing No E!

2. Do you really depend on Popular media to define what is cool, and what you want to be. If so, all I can really say is that is just sad. The way people appear on TV and Movies is so completely different from the way they really are. It's all an Act. (Trust me on this one, I have worked on many different productions with many different actors.) Musicians do strange things to be different and get publicity. Then everyone else does it. Like a bunch of lemmings.

3. I lived in Wisconsin for 3 Years. I had a pretty good grasp of how behind things are. (Don't tell me I'm lame because I'm in Utah. I have lived in many, many states.) Going from CA to WI, it was quite disturbing to see all the annoying trends that had finally died off in CA were just beginning to bloom in WI.

4. No one is saying that the trends were not popular. The tribal thing was huge. It's just that it is done with and tired now. If it is past it's prime now, Imagine in 30 years how that Tatoo will look. It's fine for an iMac. The Mac will be replaced in a few years. Short of any really cool accident, you will always have the same skin.

5. I think you are trying really hard to be white trash. You could be so much more.

But hey, if you want to be a Lemming, the cliff is as close as your local Tatoo parlor!

[This message has been edited by RAzaRazor (edited 03-02-2001).]

The Dude
Banned
Mar 2, 2001, 09:47 PM

- Ca$h
Well, for starters, I am not from New York, I am from Los Angeles. Second, I hate almost all popular fads. I hate them because (as Don stated above) they are preprocessed garbage coming stright from corperate excutives. The kicker is that I live in the center of this cesspool, you don't. Your tribal thingie is nothing but a fad, for which you sacrificed an iMac over. Ca$h, can you safely and accurately tell me that the tribal thing didn't come out of an excutive's boardroom? Can you track down the origens of this style? I would assume no, and neither can I. I doubt many people could.

The point is, you can defend this fad and claim how it is cool, and how everyone who disagrees with you is an ass, but it still remains that you are defending something SO superficial, it's sickening. I could go on, but I am dealing with a small bout of depression.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2001, 09:52 PM

Good. Following that logic, I want to see a big Pokeman tattood on your pasty white back, Henry Rollins-style. It is, after all, very popular.

Tattoos are for wimps. Scars are the real thing. . .

[This message has been edited by Don Pickett (edited 03-02-2001).]

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 3, 2001, 03:30 PM

EARTH TO PEOPLE WHO ARE DISAGREEING WITH ME! HELLO MCFLY!

Jesus christ! How many times do I have to repeat something for you to understand? I HAVE said, and I will say it ONE FINAL TIME:

I LIKE TRIBAL.

NOt because of MTV, not because of movies, not because of **** . I like it because I like it. I've liked it for about 4-5 years, and I will always probably like it, and the basis of me liking it has nothing to do with anyone else liking it, its the simple fact that I think it looks cool; much like I will ALWAYS like my 1968 Dodge Charger. It is ME. I like IT. I am not a damn lemming, for I do not like something purely because other people do. I can give multiple examples of this:

1. Most people like PCs, I like macs
2. Most people like snowboarding, I like alternative skiing
3. Most people like rap, I like techno
4. Most people like Mustangs and Camaros, I hate them both
5. Most people like abercrombie, I hate it.
6. Most people like Dave Matthews Band, I hate that band.
7. Most people like Phish, I hate them.

The point is, I hate mainstream **** . I hate it. Here's the best example. I like BLINK182. I love that band. However, I despise the teeny bopper mainstream pop they produce now. Does that mean I should hate the old **** that I grew up with? NO. Because the old stuff is still mine, and I still have a reason for liking it. Just because something I like gets popular does NOT mean I'm going to change my views; if I DID, then I truly would be a lemming.

- Ca$h

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2001, 04:05 PM

I am a latecomer to this argument but let me state this (in pure, un-spellchecked glory).

Hating something simply because it is popular is just as shallow as liking something just because it is popular.

Tribal IS cool....its simple yet effective.

Boston rules! wooooo! (I live about a half hour away from it)

And last but certainly not least, if we were judging this simply on coolness of computer i would choose Ca$h's iMac.....Rev D's kick ass....but i like black so Cipher's wins on looks.

There we go, i've said it....no wait one more thing. I am in no way a conformist or a person that hates stuff simply because it is popular, if i like something and its popular than wooptie-doo, i could care less. Thinking Differently means you go for what you like not because your trying to avoid the mainstream (at least thats what i think it means).

Good-day to you all

------------------
-->Sk

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 4, 2001, 10:23 PM

Thanks Sek. Thats exactly how I feel. However, I won't purchase a jetta just to get chicks. '`'`'`

-Ca$h

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2001, 10:39 PM

ca$h - you 'like' tribal but do you live it? Have you tribal piercings? A major tatt? No? You're more main stream than tribal - the Brittany thing alone blasts you out of the tribal pond
this sig intentionally left blank

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 5, 2001, 03:21 AM

So basically what you're saying is you can't appreciate anything unless you go balls to the wall all out with it? Like, I can't support Apple if I like games, since PCs are better, or if I do, I have to plaster my room with apple posters? Or I couldn't enjoy drag racing musclecars, because I don't drag race my charger? You're an idiot. And no, I do not listen to her music, I just want to have sex with her.
- Ca$h

tiger02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 04:45 AM

this is the first that i've heard of ca$h, so just based on what i've seen in this thread: sheesh! give the guy a break! first tribal was 'cool' a couple of years ago, so should be avoided now (implying that it was ok then) but when ca$h says it's still 'cool,' he gets jumped on because 'cool' things are 'evil.' as for me, i'm an anthropology major, so tribal will always be the way to go.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2001, 10:59 PM

Thanks Sek. Thats exactly how I feel. However, I won't purchase a jetta just to get chicks. '`'`'`

-Ca$h

Haha, hey it works dude (i didn't buy it just for that).....sure does beat the ol' Suburban in chick-getting power though.

(In fact when i told most of my girl-friends that i was thinking of getting a Neon, which i was, they giggled and said it was a girl car )

------------------
-->Sk

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 7, 2001, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by sek929:

-Ca$h

Haha, hey it works dude (i didn't buy it just for that).....sure does beat the ol' Suburban in chick-getting power though.

(In fact when i told most of my girl-friends that i was thinking of getting a Neon, which i was, they giggled and said it was a girl car )

Blah, I'd race (and beat) your car any freaking day of the week.

- Ca$h

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2001, 10:45 PM

That's only because sek's car is loaded with chicks.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Cipher13
Mar 8, 2001, 02:18 AM

Whats up with this thread?
The main page shows it as being 3 pages long, with only like 93 replies (this will be number 94)... 404 for the supposed 3rd page when clicked.
Ah well, lame excuse to post I guess this was.

Cipher13

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 8, 2001, 03:57 AM

Nah, its cuz unless a VW has the VR6, its a bitch car.

- Ca$h

Cipher13
Mar 8, 2001, 04:01 AM

Yeah, Corrado VR6 is very cool.

Cipher13

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 8, 2001, 04:15 AM

mid 14 second quarter mile passes too. Hrm. Ack. Stupid neon. >whine<

- Ca$h

Cipher13
Mar 8, 2001, 04:18 AM

So, finally gonna ditch your Neon for something more... respectable?
I say go for it

Cipher13

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 8, 2001, 04:24 AM

No, I'm going to keep it. I'll spend about 3-4 grand on it, then it'll be done, and sorta nice. I can only be a boy-racer type at this point in my life, and I can own a Corrado during my mid 20s. Then around 30, I wanna get a 3 series or a tweaked Acura Legend Coupe. At that point I feel old and spend a shiteload on my Charger.

- Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules