Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > StarOffice

StarOffice
Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2000, 11:06 AM

I know this is not the place for a discussion like this but I'd like to know if anyone knows what advantages (aside from the obvious) StarOffice would have over Office 2000 (PC) or 2001 (Mac) I just bought 2001 for my Mac(s) and started learning more about 2001 on the PC at work. And will StarOffice becoming to the Mac (OS X) at all?

bigsleepy
Oct 15, 2000, 02:17 AM

The main advantage of StarOffice is that is non-Microsoft. Otherwise it is much slower than Office on most machines. A major disadvantage is that if it is ported it will probably have it's own weird non-standard interface. Major advantage = non-MS way to read Word and Excel files.

citoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2000, 02:23 AM

The other major advantage would be that as it is open sourced, any of the bits of it could be spun off into any number of aplications. Don't like the non-standard interface, build your own (in theory at any rate, in reality it would take a bit of work). At any rate, one should be able to be take/adopt the translation bits to traslate to/from MS file formats.

------------------
One fish, Two fish, Red fish, Blue fish.
"For once timid traveler, be careless and utterly lose your way." -Rabindranath Tagore

Forum Links
Forum Rules