Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Any Reason *Not* to Buy OEM Version of WinXP SP2?

Any Reason *Not* to Buy OEM Version of WinXP SP2?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 03:32 AM

I am getting my first Intel Mac next week and I would like to save money on the purchase of Windows XP to run via BootCamp. Is buying OEM versions of WinXP SP2 (say, from NewEgg) for around $109.00 or so a good idea? It's legal, isn't it? Since the only apparent advantage in the "retail" package is a nicer box and a crummy manual, why would anybody not buy OEM?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2006, 10:08 AM

No problem at all. The "manual" is typically "How To Install Windows," a subject requiring a manual only for those you wouldn't allow to cross the street on their own. OEM is FINE. You're buying an "auxillary" OS anyway, right? Why spend extra money for a "full retail" version that's intended for people with negative IQs? Really, the difference is packaging, an installation manual and price-NOT the OS itself.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 10:46 AM

I've always bought OEM, mostly because I build my own PCs. The only difference I've heard (and I can't confirm this myself) is that the retail version is less of a hassle when you try to transfer activation to another PC.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 11:51 AM

Well, good. You folks have convinced me. Too bad, I guess there's no hoped-for free-upgrade-to-Vista-when-it-ships, is there? So I guess I'm ordering an OEM of WinXP.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2006, 04:27 PM

Wait a minute. You said "free" and the name of a Microsoft product in the same sentence, and now my head hurts...

Nope. No "free upgrade" from MS. I understand that there may be some special beta testers that will get the full version when it's released, but they are few and have been involved since the begining. It may also be a rumor based on how MS handled Win98's rollout.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 04:58 PM

There will be a free upgrade to Vista for most Windows users. It is called The Pirate Bay.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2006, 11:04 PM

The only thing a full version adds is the ability for you to use that as an 'upgrade' path towards newer OS. You could for example buy the full XP and then buy the upgrade Vista. Of course thats still more money than buying OEM XP and then OEM vista later

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 10:08 AM

BTW, have you folks seen this comic? It sums up my feelings about installing Windows on my Mac.

Anyway, I figure if buying OEM is cheaper overall, then clearly that's the way to go if you are able to figure out the installation process without the manual. And most of us can do that.
( Last edited by selowitch; Aug 27, 2006 at 02:17 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 27, 2006, 11:49 AM

Funny comic. I think that being able to run Windows on a Mac makes the Mac far more powerful a platform-you CANNOT run OS X on any PC (without stealing the development code they used for the Intel version, that is), but you can run both on an Intel Mac... So it can do everything...Very cool.

Can you walk AND chew gum at the same time? Then you can install Windows without instructions. If you can also hum while walking and chewing gum, you won't have ANY problems!

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Funny comic. I think that being able to run Windows on a Mac makes the Mac far more powerful a platform-you CANNOT run OS X on any PC (without stealing the development code they used for the Intel version, that is), but you can run both on an Intel Mac... So it can do everything...Very cool.
Indeed. The last remaining argument for not buying a Mac just went up in smoke. Perhaps this means the end of non-Macintosh-running desktop hardware altogether?

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2006, 01:55 PM

Not neccessarily on the arguments. I've many PC using friends, who bash the Mac MORE now because of the switch. E.g. - "Oh, the ***** went to intel because they sucked so much... the only thing they had to offer is gone now... macs suck" etc. etc.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Brien
Not neccessarily on the arguments. I've many PC using friends, who bash the Mac MORE now because of the switch. E.g. - "Oh, the ***** went to intel because they sucked so much... the only thing they had to offer is gone now... macs suck" etc. etc.
Maybe you need some new friends.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2006, 02:03 PM

Probably.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 27, 2006, 04:55 PM

Anyone who bashes anything so vigorously probably fears and misunderstands what they bash. I've been a PC user since 1985, mostly because that's all I could afford. But I've never "hated" or bashed Macs, because they are indeed technically superb machines running (usually now) a technically superb operating system.

But what do the bashers have to be afraid of? I'm still wondering.

Forum Links
Forum Rules