Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Cingular Phone

Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Cingular Phone
f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 11:52 AM

http://www.cingularsleek.com/

This phone apparently requires a Bluetooth stereo headset.

It's interesting that Motorola/Cingular debuted this after MacWorld SF. I guess Jobs doesn't think much of Motorola. The latter could have had a working model ready for Jobs' keynote a few weeks ago.
( Last edited by f1000; Jan 31, 2006 at 11:59 AM. )

buffswin
Jan 31, 2006, 04:17 PM

No headphone jack??
Only 100 songs?? What is the point of these things being limited to only 100 songs?
Don't want to compete with the ipod or something??

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by buffswin
No headphone jack??
Only 100 songs?? What is the point of these things being limited to only 100 songs?
Don't want to compete with the ipod or something??
I know. Idiotic.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

jersey
Senior User
Jan 31, 2006, 08:49 PM

No headphone jack??
It comes with a 3.5mm headphone adaptor. but the 100 song limit is a bit odd, I'm sure it wont last too long. But hey... a shuffle is only 120, and it doesn't have a screen or make calls.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jersey
It comes with a 3.5mm headphone adaptor. but the 100 song limit is a bit odd, I'm sure it wont last too long. But hey... a shuffle is only 120, and it doesn't have a screen or make calls.
You can change the card to have more songs. I believe it comes with a 256, I've read that the biggest available is 500 currently. The adaptor works off the USB port, Motorola also makes USB earbuds.

Beautiful phone. After seeing the news report, I cruised the user boards. Folks have been buying European models for a while, better than the RAZR in just about every respect (unless you must have a clamshell). Brighter screen and keyboard, longer battery life, and equal or better reception (reports varied). I'll have to get one if they come up with a CDMA version.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by yticolev
You can change the card to have more songs.
Bzzzzt. Wrong! The SLVR's iTunes applet (just like the ROKR's) is artificially capped at 100 songs, no matter how big your memory card. That is precisely, as buffswin pointed out, so as not to compete with the iPod.

Be careful buying imported or unlocked versions of the L7. It comes with an MP3 player alright, but not iTunes. It's the generic Motorola one... Which, incidentally, is not limited to 100 songs.

I'll have to get one if they come up with a CDMA version.
Seeing as it's a Cingular exclusive, don't expect a CDMA version for awhile. It took Moto forever to get a CDMA RAZR out.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

fowler
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 01:34 AM

I'd get one if it had a better camera and wasn't motorola.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 02:15 AM

The 100 song cap means these phones will never amount to much. Perhaps Apple will release their own hardware with no cap ...
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

jersey
Senior User
Feb 1, 2006, 09:55 AM

It comes with the headset, and a 512 card.

I've been watching it since June, waiting for it to hit the US, so I ordered one first thing yesterday morning.

I needed a new phone, and was thinking about getting a shuffle for the times I didn't want to carry my ipod, so this works out very nicely. Since I'll only use the music feature on the off occasion, the hundred song limit doesn't bother me.

buffswin
Feb 1, 2006, 10:55 AM

It is a very nice looking phone -- but the 100 song limit is the deal breaker, IMO.

Even 1000 songs would be plenty - and still not compete with the iPods.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 1, 2006, 10:59 AM

It is a very nice looking phone -- but the 100 song limit is the deal breaker, IMO.

Even 1000 songs would be plenty - and still not compete with the iPods.
I dont see how 100 songs is a deal breaker... a shuffle only holds 120 and doesnt make calls

buffswin
Feb 1, 2006, 11:09 AM

I dont see how 100 songs is a deal breaker... a shuffle only holds 120 and doesnt make calls

If I wanted only 100 songs - I would buy a shuffle.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 1, 2006, 12:16 PM

If I wanted only 100 songs - I would buy a shuffle.
Agreed. But if all you wanted was a nice sleek phone, whether or not it plays mp3s, or if it only held a predetermined #, is inconsequential.

Which leads me to the question, why is this in the ipod forum? It's not an ipod, nor is it intended to be a replacement or competitor for the ipod. Its just a phone with itunes on it.

buffswin
Feb 1, 2006, 01:57 PM

Agreed. But if all you wanted was a nice sleek phone, whether or not it plays mp3s, or if it only held a predetermined #, is inconsequential.

Which leads me to the question, why is this in the ipod forum? It's not an ipod, nor is it intended to be a replacement or competitor for the ipod. Its just a phone with itunes on it.

Because there is not a Motorola SLVR forum??

jersey
Senior User
Feb 1, 2006, 02:16 PM

Because there is not a Motorola SLVR forum??
belongs in peripherals.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 09:00 PM

belongs in peripherals.
I think it is cross category. It does a lot more than just replace an iPod, but since it can replace an iPod, I think this is a good place to discuss it.

I just took a look at it in a Cingular store for fun and boy is it great! Same sort of drool factor as a black Nano. The iPod software worked great, although the mini scroll wheel is not touch sensitive - you have to use keys to navigate - works fine. There is a mini USB port upper right side and a right angled connecting earbuds are available (I did not see the packaged adaptor). As a form factor, it is actually more natural shape for holding in your hand than any other iPod.

That same comment goes for a phone form factor as well. Really great shape. Many of the issues some people have with Motorolas are much improved. For example, you have a full range of vibrate and ring options. Despite being a bar instead of clamshell, I don't think the keylock is necessary. The keys are dead flat and have a positive over center feel to activate.

Originally Posted by yticolev (me)
You can change the card to have more songs.
Originally Posted by DigitalEl
Bzzzzt. Wrong! The SLVR's iTunes applet (just like the ROKR's) is artificially capped at 100 songs, no matter how big your memory card. That is precisely, as buffswin pointed out, so as not to compete with the iPod.
This may be true. However, there is a huge Motorola hacking community, this is not immutable. But no device is going to be perfect in every way for everyone.

It comes with the headset, and a 512 card.
I said 256 earlier, that is what the European models come with. The Cingular one does indeed come with a 512. This stores most everthing as there is only 5mB internal. So music, ringtones, photos, and videos. Sooner or later a one gig will be available at a stiff charge.

buffswin
Feb 2, 2006, 10:41 AM

yticolev,

Thanks for the additional information - I have not had the chance to run by my local cingular store to take a look at it, but may have to do so in the near future. Aesthetically - I like the phone.

I just wonder about its usefulness with the 100 song limit. As you say- it is limited to a 512 card at this time. That, in and of itself, fairly limits the number of songs. Perhaps a day will come when a phone will have 2-4 gigs of flash ram, ala the Nano's, and it will be something I can really latch on to.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 01:44 PM

100 songs is about 6 hours. I use my iPod largely for long trips and that is not enough for sure. But I also bring my laptop and it is trivial the way I have arranged my playlists to load daily. The other use is perhaps an hour or two a week for running or working out. 100 songs will last several weeks.

All moot for me as I cannot tolerate GSM. My primary data source is my CDMA handset. But if Verizon gets a CDMA version, I'm so there!

buffswin
Feb 2, 2006, 02:39 PM

I have never used a playlist before - so I'm not entirely sure how to set them up, let alone "arrange them to load daily."

I'm more of a scroll and find type person- so far at least. Fun when you have 3,350+ songs on your iPod.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 03:55 PM

just got it.... but now i have to go teach. first impression is good. itunes and isync picked it up no issues.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 05:10 PM

Got mine yesterday . . . . Love it! It's nice that I don't have to carry around a cell phone and an iPod shuffle as this will handle both duties well.

Build quality is very nice, seams are all straight and the LCD is very nice. It does come with an adapter so you can use different earbuds if you want. The buds that ship with it (also include external mike in the wire so you can answer without removing them) are ok but feel slightly larger than the Apple earbuds that ship with the iPod. I love the keypads look and feel. I haven't taken pictures with the the camera yet but I did click to it and got a live feed from it (4x zoom is nice). . . looked a little on the dark side (was in a darkly lit room though). Ironically the video camera (also 4x zoom) which uses the same lens delivered a very bright picture in the same darkly lit room.

Overall IMO, if you want a phone that will also double as an iPod shuffle(512mb version) then you will probably be very happy with the SLVR . . . . I know I am. It's like an iPod shuffle with the LCD features of a nano. . . . plus you can make phone calls on it

O, one last thing . . . . . the battery life on this thing is amazing. I've yet to need a charge and i've had it playing songs most of the day, and have had a 3hr call and a couple of 30 min calls . . . . still 2 bars of battery left.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 11:21 PM

I agree with mpst everything you said. I do wish the camera was a bit better.

Have you figured out how to load an use an mp3 as a ring tone?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 11:58 PM

Physically, the phone is hot, other than the USB 1 and **** camera.

Software? It STINKS. No one touch to turn on vibrate mode? Everything takes 3 steps more than it should. That alone is reason not to touch it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 08:17 AM

I agree with mpst everything you said. I do wish the camera was a bit better.

Have you figured out how to load an use an mp3 as a ring tone?
That I haven't tried yet . . . . but I will Although I have a suspicion that they might try to block the ability to do that since allowing this would kill their market for overpriced $1.99 ringtones.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 09:39 AM

It talks about doing it in the manual..... but it what it doesn't give is the ringtone specs. I do know it has to be on the phones memory, it wont search the card for a ringtone. That means anything you use has to be shortened. So..... what we need are the export specs for Sound Studio, QTPro, etc.

I messed with it for a while last night, and could get a modded mp3 onto the phone(via bluetooth ot usb), and had it show up in sounds, but it kept telling me it was corrupt.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 12:37 PM

It talks about doing it in the manual..... but it what it doesn't give is the ringtone specs. I do know it has to be on the phones memory, it wont search the card for a ringtone. That means anything you use has to be shortened. So..... what we need are the export specs for Sound Studio, QTPro, etc.

I messed with it for a while last night, and could get a modded mp3 onto the phone(via bluetooth ot usb), and had it show up in sounds, but it kept telling me it was corrupt.
I'm trying to get up with a friend of mine that works for Cingular . . . . he's all into hacks on the phones. I'll see if he's got an app we might could use to do this with that would automatically make it the right size and format.

Incidentally, I have discovered that there is in fact an artificial cap on the amount of songs you can put on the SLVR. I created a folder with 108 songs in it that were only 287mb total. Set the phones iTunes preferences to autofill from that folder. It would only take 100 of the 108 songs.

I would have liked to use the entire capacity like you can on the shuffle (you can put almost 200 punk tunes on a 512mb shuffle) . . . . though it's still not too shabby since I don't have to carry around 2 devices now

jersey
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 12:55 PM

An app, or even the specs, from your friend would be awesome.

I'm now officially obsessed with it, so I'm sure I'll be messing with it most of the evening.

And I too would love to remove the 100 song cap.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 09:11 PM

I figured it out. Here are the steps.

How to make a SLVR mp3 ringtone using iTunes:

1. Create a ringtone specific playlist, and drag the songs you want to the list.

2. Go to the playlist, highlight a song, and navigate to "Get Info"

3. Click "Options" adjust start and stop times.

4. Go to iTunes Preferences > Advanced > Importing
Settings- Import Using: mp3 encoder
Setting: Custom (32kbps mono, 22.050 khz, mono, optimized)

5. Playlist > select all > right click convert selection to mp3.

6. Add to your phone via Bluetooth or USB

This is the first way I got it to work without any special software. I'm sure the settings can be manipulated for better quality or smaller files size.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 09:23 PM

I have never used a playlist before - so I'm not entirely sure how to set them up, let alone "arrange them to load daily."

I'm more of a scroll and find type person- so far at least. Fun when you have 3,350+ songs on your iPod.
One of the delights of iPods and iTunes for many people is the shuffle feature, where the next selection is chosen randomly for you. Certainly has been for me. In my case, I rated all the songs I particularly like with the stars in iTunes. I then created a smart playlist (file-new smart playlist) with all of these songs. Then I added a rule to only contain songs that I have not heard for at least 6 months (I have a large library). Then in iTunes preferences for iPod, you can select auto update for playlists you select.

Now all you have to do to update your iPod (and presumably your SLVR) is to connect it to your mac, iTunes will auto start if it is not already running. It then compares the computer's playlist to your device's playlist and updates both. So in my case, it deletes songs from my iPod that I listened to in the last 6 months on my computer or iPod, and refreshes my iPod with new not recently listened to songs. This process typically takes about two minutes from first hooking up the firewire cable and requires no other human intervention other than ejecting the iPod from the computer when done.

I can understand however that if you like to browse, that this would never work with only 100 songs. You need a device that can fit your entire library!

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Physically, the phone is hot, other than the USB 1 and **** camera.
The specs and reviews say it has USB 2.0, thus much improved from the ROKR.

Originally Posted by iKevin
Incidentally, I have discovered that there is in fact an artificial cap on the amount of songs you can put on the SLVR. I created a folder with 108 songs in it that were only 287mb total. Set the phones iTunes preferences to autofill from that folder. It would only take 100 of the 108 songs.

I would have liked to use the entire capacity like you can on the shuffle (you can put almost 200 punk tunes on a 512mb shuffle) . . . . though it's still not too shabby since I don't have to carry around 2 devices now
I'm no computer whiz, but I can think of at least two workarounds to this artificial limit.

The first way would be to tie several songs together, so that iTunes sees it as one selection. This has to work as the limit is not length, but number of selections. Clumsy, but you could use Automater (is that the right name?) or Applescript to do this automatically in a playlist, load your SLVR, and then break the songs back into their original condition in iTunes.

The other way would be to use a card reader to manually load as many songs as fits and see if the phone's iPod software recognizes all of them. This is much easier than the first way if it works. Might, as it looks like it is iTunes software that is imposing the limit from your description.

buffswin
Feb 3, 2006, 10:41 PM

One of the delights of iPods and iTunes for many people is the shuffle feature, where the next selection is chosen randomly for you. Certainly has been for me. In my case, I rated all the songs I particularly like with the stars in iTunes. I then created a smart playlist (file-new smart playlist) with all of these songs. Then I added a rule to only contain songs that I have not heard for at least 6 months (I have a large library). Then in iTunes preferences for iPod, you can select auto update for playlists you select.

Now all you have to do to update your iPod (and presumably your SLVR) is to connect it to your mac, iTunes will auto start if it is not already running. It then compares the computer's playlist to your device's playlist and updates both. So in my case, it deletes songs from my iPod that I listened to in the last 6 months on my computer or iPod, and refreshes my iPod with new not recently listened to songs. This process typically takes about two minutes from first hooking up the firewire cable and requires no other human intervention other than ejecting the iPod from the computer when done.

I can understand however that if you like to browse, that this would never work with only 100 songs. You need a device that can fit your entire library!

Like I said- I have never used lists -- and never needed to with a 40 Gb iPod. I'm going to give the new SLVR a few months- see how it works -- and go from there.

Anybody using the calendar/contacts/etc. features? I'd assume you'll be able to actually enter information via the phone, whereas you can't with an iPod.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 4, 2006, 01:17 AM

Anybody using the calendar/contacts/etc. features? I'd assume you'll be able to actually enter information via the phone, whereas you can't with an iPod.
iSync works... but not so well. if you have 3 #'s for a person, you get 3 separate entries on the phone. It doesn't easily support multiple # per contact. Sad, sad sad... thats my next issue to figure out and deal with.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2006, 02:18 PM

iSync works... but not so well. if you have 3 #'s for a person, you get 3 separate entries on the phone. It doesn't easily support multiple # per contact. Sad, sad sad... thats my next issue to figure out and deal with.
David Pogue's blog has the fix for the handset issue, I don't know about iSync:
http://www.nytimes.com/technology/po...l?8cir&emc=cir

jersey
Senior User
Feb 4, 2006, 08:53 PM

David Pogue's blog has the fix for the handset issue, I don't know about iSync:
http://www.nytimes.com/technology/po...l?8cir&emc=cir

good find. it's a pian in the a**, but doable. That is the one thing I will miss about my s66. It had an awesome address book. oh well.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Software? It STINKS. No one touch to turn on vibrate mode? Everything takes 3 steps more than it should. That alone is reason not to touch it.
It works just like every phone i've ever had . . . click the volume button down until it switches from no ring to vibrate.

The specs and reviews say it has USB 2.0, thus much improved from the ROKR.
If it is USB 2.0, it's the slowest USB 2.0 in history . . . takes about 30-45 seconds per song (this is even referenced in the documentation). Just curious, where did you find a spec that said USB 2.0?

Jersey . . . . You rock! Thanks for posting the ringer info!

jersey
Senior User
Feb 4, 2006, 11:10 PM

Jersey . . . . You rock! Thanks for posting the ringer info!
I do what I can. Thanks.

Yeah... slowest usb2. ever.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 02:17 AM

If it is USB 2.0, it's the slowest USB 2.0 in history . . . takes about 30-45 seconds per song (this is even referenced in the documentation). Just curious, where did you find a spec that said USB 2.0?
You are right! I read some review that was in error. But about load times, what about Bluetooth? That should be faster than USB 1.1 right? And there are always card readers.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 07:46 AM

Motorola is either testing or has just released a new version of their Synergy UI. It reportedly addresses all the issues people have with their OS. Look for it to hit most, if not all of their upcoming releases .. and possibly even rev. B of the SLVR.

I'm a total phone whore and just this week got to play with a Motorola for the first time. Coming off of Nokia's idiot-proof (but boring) Series 40 and Sony Ericsson's slick and ever-evolving OS/GUI, the Moto look and feel is just atrocious. I went into it with an open mind thinking "it can't be as bad as everyone says," but it is.

Literally everything that's easy and intuitive on other brands of mobile phones is a 5 click nightmare on the Moto. Too bad, because their physical designs are breathtaking, some of 'em.

Here's to hoping the next version of Synergy steps it up for Moto.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 09:11 PM

I'll throw in my own info on the SLVR as well.

First off, Salling Clicker doesn't work, and as nerdy as it sounds, this is a HUGE disappointment. The guys over at Salling are playing with it, but they say Moto's give them a really hard time. Maybe it'll work itself out.

Second, coming from a Sony/Eric phone, the UI really is pretty bad and unintuitive. It's workable, but still a pain. I never thought it would be a big deal, but there are just too many steps sometimes.

The song cap is not a huge problem, but syncing it every night is not as much fun. I agree that 1000 song cap seems reasonable. And the syncing is incredibly slow, but then again over USB 1 (I have an old Ti), I can't expect anything better.

I'm going to try out the ringtone thing tonight, but overall the SE just felt more easily customizable.

As for the pros, the phone is gorgeuos. It slips into a shirt pocket if you really wanted it to. iTunes works well enough, takes some getting used to as it's not an ipod, but definitely tolerable after a day or two. The camera is what I expected, and not something I really cared about anyway.

I'm going to give it another week, but I think I'll be returning it. I bought it full retail ($300), no contract, and with the song cap, the slow transfer speed, and the lack of Salling or just the overall feel of using my old t637, I think I'll be returning the phone (full refund said cingular guy, within 30 days). kinda bummed, as I've been waiting for this phone forever, but it's really not worth my money right now.

Ok, sorry for the long rambling post... just my 0.02 (or $1.02)

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 11:02 PM

Hey Avenir--I was thinking about getting rid of my newly purchased Razor to try the Slvr out. Thanks for the insight because you've given me pause to reconsider. My Razor (just purchased Friday), has some issues with sound quality; it's difficult to hear a caller, regardless of the loudness setting on the phone. Bummer. Perhaps I'll just exchange the Razor and see if my unit may be defective.

Also, I understand that a new Razor-styled iTunes phone isn't too far off. I wouldn't mind having a look at that.

Cheers.

ibulldog in Pittsburgh

p.s. How about those Steelers??!!

Avenir
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ibulldog
Hey Avenir--I was thinking about getting rid of my newly purchased Razor to try the Slvr out. Thanks for the insight because you've given me pause to reconsider. My Razor (just purchased Friday), has some issues with sound quality; it's difficult to hear a caller, regardless of the loudness setting on the phone. Bummer. Perhaps I'll just exchange the Razor and see if my unit may be defective.

Also, I understand that a new Razor-styled iTunes phone isn't too far off. I wouldn't mind having a look at that.

Cheers.

ibulldog in Pittsburgh

p.s. How about those Steelers??!!
I grabbed mine at the Cingular store in the strip. As far as I know, you should be able to at least pick it up and return it within the 30 days (as I'm probably going to do this weekend), if you're not satisfied. It's worth a look at least, the phone itself (minus bluetooth and itunes stuff) is pretty awesome once you get through the UI funkiness.

go steelers (I just moved here, but I've already been folded into the insanity)

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2006, 11:02 AM

Going to the parade?
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 7, 2006, 11:42 AM

I too agree about the crap ui. My first nice phone was a t616 and the ui was excellent. The Siemens s66 I had before the SLVR wasnt too bad either. But the moto ui is horrible. I hope they release a new version or something... I think it might send me over the edge any day.

But other than that, I really like the phone. It seems like I can customize pretty much anything I want to. The ui might suck, but at least I can make it look nice.

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 12:41 PM

Hey Avenir--yes, it is indeed insanity. gdiddy--no parade for me--although I teach in the school district that cancelled school today because of it (funny). I decided to stay home with my toddler and watch it on TV. I don't know how much more of the obnoxius local media coverage I can take, however (sigh).

The Moto UI doesn't bother me because I've owned a number of previous models. Like Avenir, I paid full price for my Razor because I had to replace a damaged phone. I might as well take advantage of the 30-day return policy and give the Slivr a try.

Avenir--welcome to our special place in the world. I clicked on the link in your signature and you have been around! I've been to Rome and Switzerland--loved them both.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 03:16 PM

Is this a SIM limitation? I used to have all my numbers stored on the phone but I recently copied them to the SIM card in my nokia 3100 and now every case of multiple numbers for a person is separated and there are numbers after the name.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 03:38 PM

nice phone, but i'm hoping the V3i or MS600 (see pic), both have iTunes, is released in north america.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 03:38 PM

Has anybody found a good case for the SLVR yet? The 2 pack that Cingular sells look horrid. I ended up buying the armband kit because it's case didn't look all that bad but it only has the belt loop. Any aftermarket cases (iPod sleeve type) coming that any of you guys know of?

Avenir
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 10:54 PM

nope, haven't heard of any cases. I'm trying to just baby mine in my pocket (cut down a Palm screen protector for the screen at least)...

ibulldog: didn't make it to the parade, but watched it from the office windows as it left Melon Arena. so far so good in Pitt, I'll be here at least another year and a half, and I intend to enjoy every minute of it.

laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 03:04 PM

I picked this phone up a couple days ago and I like it very much. I've been waiting to get this for over six months. I uploaded a few songs to the phone via iTunes and it works fine. However, I found that some of my MP3s simply wouldn't copy over. I wondered why and then found out that any MP3s with a bit rate higher than 192 will not copy to the phone. I tried several more songs with bit rates from 160 to 320 and only those with 256 and 320 did not copy over.

As for cases, I did some searching and found these at www.krusell.com. Here's a link with all SLVR L7 cases and accessories:

http://www.krusell.se/searchResult.p...LVR+L7&x=8&y=7

They have two cases. One is a slip case and another zippered with a clear plastic over the face of the phone. They also offer various types of belt clips, swivel clips and heavy duty belt clips. I ordered from www.pcs-ltd.com. Order process was great. I don't endorse PCS at all and ordered from them since they were the only company that had these at a great price and quick shipping (free if you order $50 or more).

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2006, 11:25 PM

Hello all. Well, I returned the Razor, picked up the SLVR and tried it for a few days, and then returned that for another Razor. Sigh. :-) I liked the SLVR well-enough, but I want either a flip phone or a slider. I'm hoping that Cingular releases the new iTunes Razor before my 30 days are up, but it's looking like April before it's going to be released. Anyone heard anything else?

Forum Links
Forum Rules