Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: 2.16 20" Intel iMac

FS: 2.16 20" Intel iMac
golden_zap
Aug 8, 2007, 01:18 PM

Hello, like a lot of people, I'm trying to get rid of my Mac for a MBP for portability. This is the 2.16GHz version of the 20-inch iMac. I bought it on January 20, 2007 and still have the original receipt as well as the box and packaging, as well, this is still covered under Apple's warranty. I will also include a 40GB 4th generation iPod for free, which is good for storage if you already have an iPod.

This computer is in the best possible condition. Of course, this sale is aimed at the people who are not interested in the new iMac design as well as the new glossy screen.
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 250GB hard drive
  • All cables, manuals, remote, etc. that was originally included.
Asking for about $1800 or any other offers if available and payment is via Paypal. References and pictures are available upon request. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks.

mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2007, 11:34 AM

you can get a new, faster machine for 1199?

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 14, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by golden_zap View Post
This is the 2.16GHz version of the 20-inch iMac. Of course, this sale is aimed at the people who are not interested in the new iMac design as well as the new glossy screen.
Learn to read the thread? $1199 is for the 2.0GHz model with lower specs fyi.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Aug 14, 2007, 09:11 PM

No need to be snippy, buddy. Let's play nice and be realistic.

I do think you need to come down in price a bit from $1,800, if you're looking to sell that here. One can get a new 24-inch 2.4ghz C2D iMac from apple with better specs than yours for that amount, full warranty included.

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2007, 10:53 PM

I hate any thread-crapping as much as anyone else- but this is constructive criticism:

Chances are you aren't going to find an "uninformed buyer" in the MacNN forums that does not know about the recent iMac upgrades.

Sorry to say, but your iMac just lost a lot of value with the latest iMac update.

But, with that free ipod you would probably have a great chance of getting more than it's worth on ebay.

bearcat2000
Aug 14, 2007, 11:28 PM

Dude, you're probably going to have to come down $800-900 to get to current resale value. It's the pits.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 15, 2007, 02:55 AM

I don't know why people are giving me such a hard time and hijacking my thread. This is my thread and I have the right to post how ever amount I want, after all, this is my computer.

See, if there was someone who was interested in this Mac and iPod and was actually planning on buying but they saw your posts, they will not be interested anymore. Good job. Way to ruin it for me.

It's like walking into a store full of new previous generation iMac's and you guys holding up a large sign saying that new iMac's were released. And I've specifically noted that I was aiming at buyers interested in the previous iMac, yet some of you low lifes had to come in here and start spewing everywhere that new iMacs are cheaper.

Mods, please close the thread. I will start a new one.

mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 03:04 AM

You are trying to defraud someone by making it sound like you have some really upgraded iMac when really it is actually really inferior to a new iMac at the same price point.

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 08:32 AM

Plenty of people have tried to help him sell his iMac but he still wants to try to "trick" someone into buying his out of date and over priced machine.

I told him to try eBay and build up that "free iPod" part- I bet he'd get more than he'd expect.

I don't know why people are giving me such a hard time and hijacking my thread. This is my thread and I have the right to post how ever amount I want, after all, this is my computer.

See, if there was someone who was interested in this Mac and iPod and was actually planning on buying but they saw your posts, they will not be interested anymore. Good job. Way to ruin it for me.

It's like walking into a store full of new previous generation iMac's and you guys holding up a large sign saying that new iMac's were released. And I've specifically noted that I was aiming at buyers interested in the previous iMac, yet some of you low lifes had to come in here and start spewing everywhere that new iMacs are cheaper.

Mods, please close the thread. I will start a new one.
( Last edited by chippervw; Aug 17, 2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Removed "comments")

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 15, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by chippervw View Post
This guy is a jerk. Plenty of people have tried to help him sell his iMac but he still wants to try to scam someone into buying his out of date and over priced machine.

I told him to try eBay and build up that "free iPod" part- I bet he'd get more than he'd expect.

That's all the advice I'm giving- because he definitely does not appreciate it.

"Fresh-faced recruit" too! Wow, the NERVE

Yes, please close this thread Mods.
what the hell is your guys's problem? I wasn't even referring to you and I never said I didn't like your advice and you call me a jerk? this is my thread and I am allowed to post any price I want. if nobody wants to buy it for this price, then that's fine. if I can't sell it at this price, then that's okay. at least I tried. holy crap, you guys don't need to come in here and post all of these useless posts.

if I can get more than I can expect on eBay, then why not post it here for free? At least I don't have to pay a fee. looks like you guys deserve the "fresh-faced recruit" badge for posting all of this spam. I mentioned that I would provide references. seriously, I think you guys are the jerks here for degrading a sale like this.

PowerBub
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 01:12 PM

i wouldn't take it personally, golden_zap (though it is hard not to with people calling names). members take pride in our marketplace offering good computers at fair prices, with sales geared towards fellow knowledgeable macheads. some people interpreted your post as violating these unspoken rules and then these folks became upset.

sometimes, we catch the wrong end of an upgrade curve or otherwise end up with a machine that we need more money for than MacNN economics will permit. this is when we use eBay.

but, like you said, you started the thread and can ask whatever price you want. but, you shouldn't be too surprised or upset when members are looking to maintain forum's the status quo with which they are so satisfied. on the other hand, no one should call you a jerk for hurting their idea of what the MacNN marketplace is all about.
please cook my steak again
je suis american

jonasmac
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by PowerBub View Post
i wouldn't take it personally, golden_zap (though it is hard not to with people calling names). members take pride in our marketplace offering good computers at fair prices, with sales geared towards fellow knowledgeable macheads. some people interpreted your post as violating these unspoken rules and then these folks became upset.

sometimes, we catch the wrong end of an upgrade curve or otherwise end up with a machine that we need more money for than MacNN economics will permit. this is when we use eBay.

but, like you said, you started the thread and can ask whatever price you want. but, you shouldn't be too surprised or upset when members are looking to maintain forum's the status quo with which they are so satisfied. on the other hand, no one should call you a jerk for hurting their idea of what the MacNN marketplace is all about.
Read through again PowerBub, nobody was upset in this thread but the OP (that is, until "the comment"). The community here has always come together to help buyers/sellers/traders ensure they get a worthy deal. I've seen scammers get what they deserve because of this community. That said, I'm sure NO ONE here (except some sellers) would want a fellow MacNN member to purchase a computer that was MUCH higher than fair market value. We look out for each other.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 15, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jonasmac View Post
Read through again PowerBub, nobody was upset in this thread but the OP (that is, until "the comment"). The community here has always come together to help buyers/sellers/traders ensure they get a worthy deal. I've seen scammers get what they deserve because of this community. That said, I'm sure NO ONE here (except some sellers) would want a fellow MacNN member to purchase a computer that was MUCH higher than fair market value. We look out for each other.
what "comment"? The first poster came in here and started blabbing off that new iMacs are much cheaper without any reason when I specifically stated that I was aiming for buyers interested in the older iMac. I told the poster to read once more that I was aiming for buyers interested in the old iMac and then suddenly everyone started attacking against me.

And exactly what did I do to get you in this thread anyways,? Just because I posted a higher price than everybody else and included my old iPod and because of my ranking? Maybe you should mind your own business. Maybe some people don't want cheap deals, and are looking for good products. You're just assuming and saying useless things in MY THREAD on behalf of everyone. I don't think you are grasping the concept that this is my thread and I have the right to set the price at whatever I want, even if it means higher than what everyone else posts here.

I believe it's because I have such a low post ranking that everyone thinks I'm a scammer and started attacking me for no reason. I have a high iTrader rating on a forum called DigitalPoint. I am a student and I'm trying to sell this computer at the highest possible price, I'm sure other students out there know what I'm talking about. The base model of the Macbook Pro costs at least $2K. If I'm going to sell this for under $1k, how do you think I'm going to get the rest of the money from? Don't go to school? I've already added a 40GB iPod that I bought for almost $600 when it was first introduced to match the price I've set. Still, people still have decided to attack against me.

Seriously, this is pretty childlish and pretty sure these posts are against the forum rules. Would you go into a antique car shop and yell out loud that the prices are unfair because its real value is lower than the "fair market value"? No, you wouln't. And you probably wouldn't either online, so I'd suggest you to stop and just let this thread die and learn to respect other people's threads.

PowerBub
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jonasmac View Post
you're right--i have nothing but respect for this community. reading through the thread again, i do see that most responses have been "constructive criticism" with a somewhat empathetic tone. it does seem the OP reacted a little more defensively then necessary, but s/he probably felt he or she was being mobbed, so some snippiness is perhaps justified. on the other hand, the OP's tone has been very mean. okay, i'm getting nowhere. maybe letting this die is for the best!
please cook my steak again
je suis american

jonasmac
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 09:15 PM

what "comment"? The first poster came in here and started blabbing off that new iMacs are much cheaper without any reason when I specifically stated that I was aiming for buyers interested in the older iMac. I told the poster to read once more that I was aiming for buyers interested in the old iMac and then suddenly everyone started attacking against me.

And exactly what did I do to get you in this thread anyways,? Just because I posted a higher price than everybody else and included my old iPod and because of my ranking? Maybe you should mind your own business. Maybe some people don't want cheap deals, and are looking for good products. You're just assuming and saying useless things in MY THREAD on behalf of everyone. I don't think you are grasping the concept that this is my thread and I have the right to set the price at whatever I want, even if it means higher than what everyone else posts here.

I believe it's because I have such a low post ranking that everyone thinks I'm a scammer and started attacking me for no reason. I have a high iTrader rating on a forum called DigitalPoint. I am a student and I'm trying to sell this computer at the highest possible price, I'm sure other students out there know what I'm talking about. The base model of the Macbook Pro costs at least $2K. If I'm going to sell this for under $1k, how do you think I'm going to get the rest of the money from? Don't go to school? I've already added a 40GB iPod that I bought for almost $600 when it was first introduced to match the price I've set. Still, people still have decided to attack against me.

Seriously, this is pretty childlish and pretty sure these posts are against the forum rules. Would you go into a antique car shop and yell out loud that the prices are unfair because its real value is lower than the "fair market value"? No, you wouln't. And you probably wouldn't either online, so I'd suggest you to stop and just let this thread die and learn to respect other people's threads.
Yeah, let this thread die. Part of making a sale is knowing your customer. Obviously, your not going to reach your particular target market at a Mac Forum. As pointed out earlier, most people on here know how much Mac they can get for their buck. You'll be have a better chance of getting your asking price selling this elsewhere.

Good luck on your sale!

sledsbehave
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 11:03 PM

take it to eBay if you want the highest possible price. people pay some crazy prices there.

people won't buy it here unless it's a decent price. it's unsaid that we offer one another better prices. some regulars here, tried to pass along that advice. no real harm, and it's not completely unheard of, for new users to listen to old users who have frequented this forum and might know more about these things.

people here are almost offended by high prices, and rightly so.
as ever,
sonny

Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 09:20 AM

Golden_Zap, you may want to try reading through this thread again. To me, you were the one who came off as a jerk. What I saw was you asking for a price for which you could get a better NEW iMac. Then someone told you this, and instead of saying "Yes, but I have decided to ask this price anyway" or "Oh, thank you I did not realize this!" you began to attack them as if they had just come in and pointed out tons of flaws in your item or called you a scammer.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2007, 06:13 PM

Hahahaha this is funny... man if anyone wants to buy older model more money than new than we can call 'em idiots LOL. Should remember the first thing on buyinmg new computer the first day you bought it and it's old already as technology moves forward not going back..

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2007, 10:09 AM

Hey Golden_Zap- I'll sell it for you on ebay- I only charge 10% of selling price.

IM me.

buffswin
Aug 17, 2007, 10:18 AM

Has this computer sold yet?

I'll give you $900, shipping included.
Let me know and I can get the money paypal'd to you today.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 12:29 PM

Hey Golden_Zap- I'll sell it for you on ebay- I only charge 10% of selling price.

IM me.
Thanks, but the problem with eBay for me is the fact that I need to pay a fee for posting on their website, no matter if I am able to get the price I want. But I believe eBay charges you around 5%...? So I'm afraid I'm going to decline your suggestion, thanks anyways.

Originally Posted by buffswin View Post
Has this computer sold yet?

I'll give you $900, shipping included.
Let me know and I can get the money paypal'd to you today.
Sorry, but that price is really, really low. Around $900, you could probably only get a Macbook...

buffswin
Aug 17, 2007, 12:56 PM

Sorry, but that price is really, really low. Around $900, you could probably only get a Macbook...

Actually, the price you are seeking is really, really high. In fact, it's exhorbitant.

For $1099, an individual could buy the EXACT SAME MACHINE you are trying to sell from the Apple store. Of course, the machine from the Apple store would come with a one-year manufacturer's warranty - yours does not.

That makes your used machine worth about $900.

And your used 4th generation 40 GB iPod is worth about $50.

I will restate my offer of $900 for your iMac. I don't need your iPod.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 03:43 PM

I'd say $900 is a fair price for the iPod included...

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 03:45 PM

Actually, the price you are seeking is really, really high. In fact, it's exhorbitant.

For $1099, an individual could buy the EXACT SAME MACHINE you are trying to sell from the Apple store. Of course, the machine from the Apple store would come with a one-year manufacturer's warranty - yours does not.

That makes your used machine worth about $900.

And your used 4th generation 40 GB iPod is worth about $50.

I will restate my offer of $900 for your iMac. I don't need your iPod.
ok, that's nice. you're free to go ahead and buy the refurbished product. I'm not going to stop you.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 03:46 PM

No, he would by a NEW product. Brand New. Refurbished would be even cheaper.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 04:18 PM

Can everyone stop comparing my price to a new machine already? If you're not interested in the price I've set, then that's fine, there's no need to repost what other people have said. This is really getting frustrating.

This is my computer and iPod and this is my sale, I have the right to post whatever price I want for my products. If you feel that the price is unfair, then that's totally fine, but there's no need to compare it with other machines.

Look at it this way: $1600 for the machine and $200 for the iPod with shipping included.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 04:20 PM

And we are trying to help you by getting you to see that that will NEVER sell. If you get ANY bid bove $1000, go for it. Because it's the highest you'll get.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 04:27 PM

I never said that I must sell this, if you would've read the thread rather than assuming things, you would know this. If it doesn't sell, then I will keep it. But seriously, how is a student suppose to fish out almost another $1000 if I need to buy a new machine? Therefore, the high price.

I've already said it before, but looks like I need to repeat everything around here to get people to read the previous posts.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 04:31 PM

Please quote what I should have read before "assuming" things, because on my read-through, it looks to me like you are someone who wants to sell your computer that will never sell at the price you are asking. True, you never said you HAD to sell it, but it is generally assumed that when you post a selling thread, you want it sold.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 04:42 PM

if nobody wants to buy it for this price, then that's fine. if I can't sell it at this price, then that's okay. at least I tried. holy crap, you guys don't need to come in here and post all of these useless posts.
do I need to say more? since you're obviously too lazy to read through the previous posts.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 04:44 PM

Don't mind at all. But I disregarded that because that was after you had leapt into overdrive defense mode...

buffswin
Aug 17, 2007, 05:33 PM

My $900 counter-offer remains open.

Please PM me when you're ready to sell.

And FYI---

On Ebay right now, the 20" iMac, C2D, 2.16Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD is going for:

$935.00
$633.00
$1,050.00
( Last edited by buffswin; Aug 17, 2007 at 05:51 PM. )

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 06:47 PM

My $900 counter-offer remains open.

Please PM me when you're ready to sell.

And FYI---

On Ebay right now, the 20" iMac, C2D, 2.16Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD is going for:

$935.00
$633.00
$1,050.00
ok... thanks for the links? If those are cheaper, then why don't you go bid on them? I really don't need to know what other people are selling their computers at. If you feel like those are great deals, then just go and buy their computer instead. Is that too hard?

So, if the majority of the eBay users sell their iMacs at $1, then do I automatically have to follow in their footsteps when I sell my machine? No, I don't. And the same is said here.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 06:51 PM

The main reason you keep getting responses is because you're being a prat about our offers and us trying to help. Just say, "Ok, thanks, but I'm going to sell at $1800."

jonasmac
Senior User
Aug 17, 2007, 06:56 PM

ok... thanks for the links? If those are cheaper, then why don't you go bid on them? I really don't need to know what other people are selling their computers at. If you feel like those are great deals, then just go and buy their computer instead. Is that too hard?

So, if the majority of the eBay users sell their iMacs at $1, then do I automatically have to follow in their footsteps when I sell my machine? No, I don't. And the same is said here.
You don't know anything about supply and demand, do you?
This thread needs some moderation. So where are those moderators?

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 06:57 PM

Probably laughing at this thread and everyone involved

mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2007, 07:04 PM

I'll give you $800 for it.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 07:06 PM

750! do I hear 750! 750! 800 going once, 800 going twice --

750!

750! do I hear 700? 700? 750 going once; 750 going twice; SOLD to the cheapest offering!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 07:46 PM

You DO need to know what other people are getting for their machines. So you can set you price according to what buyers are prepared to buy. Know the market.

Your asking price is unrealistic. Sure I would have loved it if I could have sold my powerbook last year for €2000 but I only got 500 for it. And I was extremely lucky to find someone who wanted to buy it at that price.

You have two options: sell it and save some more or keep it. No way you're going to sell it for 1800$. Unless you find that 1 in 500 million nutjob that's prepared to pay that much.
Give me one good reason why I, if I were in the market for an iMac, should buy your $1800 iMac instead of that $900 iMac on ebay that's exactly the same.

We're only trying to help you. Price it at 1k or maybe 1.1k with the iPod and your chance of selling it will rise enormously.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 08:43 PM

Asking for about $1800 or any other offers if available
I understand what you're saying but I did state that I was open to any other offers, yet people still barged into this thread and started voicing against me. I already said quite a few times that I wasn't planning on selling it for $900, and now people are just making a joke out of the current situation.

Lots of maturity. I'd wish people would just stop replying to this thread if they are not interested in making any offers or buying, rather than replying just for the fun of it.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 08:51 PM

Oh, and if someone posts their machine much lower than what it's currently selling, do you guys make fun of them and take over their thread too? So what's the big deal if my price is higher than everyone else?

And what if there's a 1% chance that someone with lots of money is going to accidentally hit this thread through Google and is interested in this machine? Maybe they really want my computer. Well, I'm going to take that chance and since this is my thread, my computer, I should be able to set my price.

So, if you're not going to be serious, then I'd appreciate it if you could just stop replying to this thread. I really hate logging on and seeing new replies to my thread but once I open the thread, it's all just spam or hate posts.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 08:59 PM

Stop bumping this thread, and no one will respond unless they're interested.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 17, 2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Stop bumping this thread, and no one will respond unless they're interested.
now I'm accused of bumping the thread when I wanted the thread to die in the first place... funny how everyone responded even though they weren't even interested.

Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 09:20 PM

Jesus Christ. Just shut up and stop responding and no-one will respond. I'm not "accusing" you of anything.

buffswin
Aug 17, 2007, 09:43 PM

I am interested in the iMac.

I will pay you $900 for it.

If you are interested in selling the computer for that price, please PM me.

Otherwise, best of luck selling your computer.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 11:21 PM

$920 shipped for the iMac only, no iPod.

mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2007, 12:52 AM

Fine, I didnt want to spend this much but i will give you $500 for it.

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2007, 03:50 PM

Hey dude. I know a guy who will give you full asking price. Actually, he owes me some money but I'm out of the country right now (in Nigeria). So, he'll send you $5000 in a cashier's check and you can send the balance on to me. Don't forget to take your shipping costs out from the $5000 too.

Thanks.

Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 04:53 PM

Hey dude. I know a guy who will give you full asking price. Actually, he owes me some money but I'm out of the country right now (in Nigeria). So, he'll send you $5000 in a cashier's check and you can send the balance on to me. Don't forget to take your shipping costs out from the $5000 too.

Thanks.

OMG SCAMMAR LOLZ

davedecay
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2007, 09:51 PM

a 40 GB 4th gen iPod is worth around $125ish now, so make your bids accordingly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules