Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac game ram

imac game ram
gangster
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 PM

my son and i are the proud, new owners of an imac i5 27". it is in the standard, 4gb, 1g 5750 configuration as we bought it from amazon.com.

the question here is, would there be a performance increase if we added ram above the standard 4gb when playing games like world of warcraft? we know that osx is memory hungry, but think 4gb is plenty. ram is pretty cheap so wondering if adding more might help performance.

thanks in advance.

ps. going from 2 to 4 gb in our old windows amd 630, nvidia 5770 1gb box made no noticeable change in WOW, which is CPU hungry as opposed to GPU hungry...

P
Nov 16, 2010, 03:46 AM

More RAM never hurts, but for WOW 4 gigs is probably fine. 8 gigs will not be a significant boost.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2010, 07:32 PM

Fill those empty slots.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2010, 04:59 PM

The RAM for that machine will never be cheaper than it is now. Max it out.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by gangster View Post
we know that osx is memory hungry, but think 4gb is plenty. ram is pretty cheap so wondering if adding more might help performance.
Care to back up that statement? Snow Leopard works fine on my four year old MacBook with 2G.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Care to back up that statement? Snow Leopard works fine on my four year old MacBook with 2G.
Snow Leopard runs ok on a 4 year old MacBook with 2GB. It would run better if you could install 4GB though. Assuming you do lots of things at once.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Geordiekeith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2010, 12:11 PM

I have two old Mac Minis running Snow Leopard, a 1.83 GHz Core Duo with 1GB RAM and a 1.66 GHz Core duo model with 2 GB RAM. With one programme open the faster 1.83 model is a little snappier, but when two or more (especially Office) applications are open, then the supposedly slower 1.66 model is noticeably faster and better able to cope.

I also have a Hackintosh Lenovo S-10 which runs Snow Leopard really well with its "puny" Atom and 2 GB RAM, but that will be retired now as I have the new MacBook Air 11" with 4 GB RAM which runs like a dream. Neither are being used for gaming though. If RAM is cheap I would max out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules