Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Buyer beware!! At&t has no warrenty

Buyer beware!! At&t has no warrenty
brucea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2009, 07:21 AM

Hi, just joined group and need to warn you about buying an iphone form AT&T.
I bought a 9 gb last Sat. and had trouble starting Monday with getting on or keeping a 3G line. I wont tell you all the problems I had by the results.
Asked to new Phone form Salvatore Bazzetta Store manager AT&T.
“ Sorry we don’t stand behind the Iphone, Go to Apple it is there problem”
Apple Store Manager.” Sorry we only give new phones to customer who bought Phone from Apple Store.” We provide FACTORY REFURBISHED PHONE ONLY”

BACK ON FORTH NOT UNTIL I SPOKE TO COSTUMER SERVICE IN APPLES MAIN OFFICE DID I GET SOME ONE TO LISTEN TO MY PROBLEM and Solve it with a new phone. But, we must make in clear to all to BEWARE where you buy your phone and what “Company Policy is on returns.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 22, 2009, 08:38 AM

That's all public knowledge easily available at their respective websites.

But this does point out the finger-pointing that occurs whenever more than one company is involved with a product.
( Last edited by msuper69; May 29, 2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: grammar)

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2009, 08:46 AM

Ummmm... The AT&T guy told you that Apple was the hardware support for your iPhone; why didn't you believe him? If you'd have gone to an Apple Store right then, you may have walked out with a new iPhone instead of spending all that time being aggravated.

In short, go to Apple when you have issues with Apple hardware.

By the way, everyone who responded to my questions about refurbished iPhones from AT&T said that the phones themselves were great. "Factory refurbished" means that Apple has certified them-and they're often simply "returned" phones that someone decided they couldn't really afford rather than phones that needed repair. If there wasn't a new hardware version coming out very soon, I might have already bought a refurb from AT&T.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DmbShn41
May 26, 2009, 07:23 PM

My iPhone went to crap quick within the first 2 months of having it, and when it did work, whenever I lost 3G coverage (I commute), the phone would never pick back up to 3G unless I powered down. Stopped by Apple in the Kenwood Mall in Cincy Oh, they set me up with a factory refurb. Perfect new out of the box it looked like. Ever since I got I have had no issues, and the phone has never lost 3G since then, and that was in September last year! AT&T does not warranty these phones like other cheap ass phones, and because Apple already provides a 1 year warranty, plus the option to go longer, why should AT&T? I'd be much happier with any kind of warranty from Apple than AT&T...
Intel iMac - 17" 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB RAM 150GB HDD
MB 13" - Early 2010 Model iPod Touch - 16GB
iPad - 16GB WiFi iPhone 3GS - 16GB

macfix
May 29, 2009, 06:06 PM

I, too, would prefer Apple's warranty over dealing with AT&T.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 29, 2009, 08:01 PM

When I purchased my iPhone, I was told up front any issues with the iPhone, you need to contact apple. Again a couple of months later, different ATT store, buying an iPhone for my wife. We were told to deal with apple for iPhone related problems.

Why are you getting upset when that information is readily made available and most salesmen at the time of the sale state just that?
~Mike

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 09:14 PM

In defense of the OP, it would appear that English is not his first language - he may not have understood when he bought the iPhone that (a) hardware support is through Apple, not AT&T, and (b) replacement hardware from Apple is generally refurb.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2009, 10:41 AM

It's the same up in Canada with any smart phone. Your BlackBerry craps out half way through your first year? Rogers will send you a refurb and you send that one back. Purdy simple.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2009, 09:42 AM

I think the word "refurb" tends to scare people.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules