Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems Copying Applications

Problems Copying Applications
SSebeny
Sep 26, 2002, 12:35 AM

Hello,

I sort of feel like a fool asking this, since I should be able to figure it out, but I could use some help if anyone is willing.

I like to keep my Applications folder very hierarchal. So, I have an Internet Apps folder that has a Browser subfolder, an FTP subfolder, an IM subfolder, etc. Other main folders are iApps, Web Design, Games, Video, Utilities, etc.

I don't like to just have apps in the Applications folder, but in their correct place. Unfortunately some installers don't give you the option to chose the install location, they just put it in the main Applications folder. Usually it is pretty easy to just move it after the install.

However, sometimes like with the recent IE update when I try and drag the file to move it to a sub folder it won't let me move it, but only copy. And it will not let me delete the original.

Now I am the machine administrator since this is my machine, and I am the owner of the file if I do a get info, and I even tried setting the mode to 777 with the chmod command in the Terminal. But I still can't move IE, or the System Preferences.

So, maybe this shouldn't bother me, but it does. Can anyone tell me how to move these stubborn items? Let me know, Thanks!

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2002, 01:28 AM

(keeping in mind that if you move some things, some silly installers will not update them if they can't find them).

What chmod command did you use?

Did you use "chmod -R" to recursively change the permissions of all the contents of the directory (remember that OS X applications are usually directories that the Finder shows as a single file).

In any case, I wouldn't use chmod, but probably chown.

chown -R <myusername> <applicationname>

SSebeny  (op)
Sep 26, 2002, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply...

I tried chmod again with the -R, as well as trying chown. Neither worked. I still can't move MS IE, and unfortunately the damn installer will ONLY put it in the roo Applications folder, no where else. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2002, 03:32 PM

Have you tried running Repair privileges from Disk Utility?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2002, 03:39 PM

A lot of updaters are very stupid on OS X, and they use hardcoded paths instead of the actual location of the application. Apple, for one, is guilty of this.

Because of this, I really don't recommend moving Apple-supplied apps out of their default location. There have been a lot of stories about people who have done this, installed an OS upgrade, and wound up with "half" of an iTunes in the Application folder.

As a work-around, you can create a folder in your Home and organize aliases to your apps in whatever arrangement you'd like. Or, you can use something like DragThing to organize them hierarchially.

And, yeah, this is a super-lame unfeature of OS X.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

SSebeny  (op)
Sep 26, 2002, 04:05 PM

Thanks,

I ran the "Repair Privileges" in Disk Utility, and it allowed me to move MSIE, and a couple other things. The only thing that still gives me a problem is the System Preferences, but its much better. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules