Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is the classical music in the NASA QuickTime HD example?

What is the classical music in the NASA QuickTime HD example?
Morpheus
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2006, 03:23 AM

This one here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...ceshuttle.html

At first it seems a string quartett but then some winds come in.

I have no idea what it could be. Really like it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2006, 05:34 AM

I've listened to that several times, and I still don't hear any winds.

Anyway, it sounds like it's written in the minimalist style, so my guess would be either something by a minimalist composer who would probably be still alive today, or possibly something composed specifically for the clip.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Morpheus  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I've listened to that several times, and I still don't hear any winds.
Ok, but what is it then that enters at 0:29?

It might be something by a film music composer. It sure sounds composed in a "retro" style. The style is minimalist but the melody/hamonics are not.

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 07:33 AM

Philip Glass (if you asked me)?
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Morpheus  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2006, 06:19 PM

I just listened through all Phil Glass on iTMS, unfortunately I found nothing similar. But Glass might be.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2006, 06:42 PM

Classical? That music is contemporary as fsck.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 07:02 PM

That isn't contemporary, it may be modern,i.e., a new classical work, but its sure isn't contemporary.
Michael

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Ok, but what is it then that enters at 0:29?
Those things are called "violins".

I was thinking "Steve Reich" or another of the modern minimalist composers. There is one whose name currently escapes me who tends a bit towards the new-agey who would fit the bill.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
it may be modern,i.e., a new classical work, but its sure isn't contemporary.
Thanks for the laugh.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 11:34 PM

I was wondering this too. I recently downloaded that video, and I love the music.

The person that things that theres anything besides strings in that music is tone deaf, and should never perform music. It's just a string quartet.

Morpheus  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2006, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Those things are called "violins".
Ok ok. But on my iMacs speakers these sound really weird. The instrument that plays from 0:22 to 0:28 is likely a violin and not a viola and sure sounds completely different than the one that enters at 0:29.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2006, 04:21 AM

Look, I'm a music student, and the instrument at 0:29 is a freaking violin.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Morpheus  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2006, 04:49 AM

For heaven's sake, I'm convinced!

So let's focus on what it is.

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2006, 06:26 AM

On the one hand it reminds me of Jan A.P. Kaczmarek's music for the movie Total Eclipse, but maybe that's just the instrumentation. On the other hand it could be an orchestrated version of a piece of electronic music. I've heard Aphex Twin played by a string quartet and it sounds like this.
But really I don't know.
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 08:37 PM

I'm familiar with a lot of Glass and Reich music and this is definitely not one of them.

They're sampled strings. In the biz we call them "plastic". Listen to the violin-sound ostinato starting around 0:22: the envelope is all wrong, with almost a noise gate between each note. A better wet/dry reverb mix would have masked this (and made the whole mix a little more believable acoustically). Not to mention the instant-on attack of the violin line at :30 and the unnatural regularity of the vibrato frequency. I'll stop there

My educated guess: a guy with a sequencer and a string sample library (something like Garritan Personal Orchestra, for example). It's a shame because hiring a real string quartet would not be expensive for a project like this (even with multiple passes/overdubs of other lines).

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 08:38 PM

I'm familiar with a lot of Glass and Reich music and this is definitely not one of them.

They're sampled strings. In the biz we call them "plastic". Listen to the violin-sound ostinato starting around 0:22: the envelope is all wrong, with almost a noise gate between each note. A better wet/dry reverb mix would have masked this (and made the whole mix a little more believable acoustically). Not to mention the instant-on attack of the violin line at :30 and the unnatural regularity of the vibrato frequency. I'll stop there

My educated guess: a guy with a sequencer and a string sample library (something like Garritan Personal Orchestra, for example). It's a shame because hiring a real string quartet would not be expensive for a project like this (even with multiple passes/overdubs of other lines).

Forum Links
Forum Rules