Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Buying Advice Needed!

MacBook Buying Advice Needed!
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2007, 06:46 AM

I am 14, and my generous grandparents are getting me a laptop for graduation! (I never expected this)! However, for someone my age, 14, I am unsure which model to get, and how to customize it, like how much RAM, etc. I am going to be using the laptop for four years. Any advice? Thanks!
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 07:04 AM

Id suggest (albeit a little vague) get the best one you can afford!!

To suggest one mac.... id go for the black macbook (and upgrade the ram to 2Gb [DIY upgrade])
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2007, 09:14 AM

What are you going to do with it?

But trying to stretch one to be useful for 4 years, I'd say the MacBook Pro with 3GB is the only choice.

marcowashere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 09:51 AM

Whichever you get, you should max out the RAM. More RAM makes a much bigger performance difference than a slightly faster processor in the same line of machines.

I have a 2.16GHz MBP and when i punched it to 3Gb (from 1GB) it made a surprising difference even to everyday tasks like launching safari or terminal.

To aid with longevity I'd go with the MacBook Pros over the MacBooks if you can. The lack of dedicated video RAM slows the MacBooks down, and then there's the double whammy of the 2Gb RAM limit.

Of course there's the weight & size issue with the MBP to condsider as well. Oh, and the larger power brick...

Forum Links
Forum Rules