Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro & Missing Sync

MacBook Pro & Missing Sync
markt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2007, 03:07 PM

I have been using Missing Sync on a PowerBook G4 running Tiger, with a Palm Treo 700P, for some time now. Recently, I installed Leopard on the G4 without any major issues except the inability of synchronizing Tasks properly. Our clinic recently added a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro with 4 GB of SDRAM, running Leopard (to add the ability to run a very few Windows apps). Missing Sync will not launch on the new machine. The Missing Sync dock icon simply bounces in the dock and never launches the application. After spending a couple of days searching the Mark/Space support and knowledge base website and performing all their "recommended" fixes, Missing Sync (the release and beta versions) still does not launch. Their website states there are "issues" with Leopard, however there is no information on how to "fix" the problem with the application not launching, at all.

I am very pleased Apple customer and have been buying and using Macs since the original Mac Classic was introduced. The thing I have always liked about Macs is there "plug and play" characteristic - no messing with it - they just work. This latest experience with the new Mac architecture, Leopard and the inability to sync my Palm OS Treo has soured me a bit.

ibook_steve
Dec 10, 2007, 03:27 PM

I haven't used a Palm in years, but have you tried using Palm's own software for syncing?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

markt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2007, 08:09 PM

As I understand it. Palm will be discontinuing their software. In fact, problems syncing using the Palm software was the catalyst for moving on to a more robust application. Missing Sync has become the gold standard for syncing PDA's and smart phones with Mac OS.

poocat
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2007, 11:32 PM

It's a shame, then, as their software is neither very "Mac-like" nor does it provide the kind of granular control of synching (what info exactly will be replaced when it "overwrites" a contact, etc) that one would like to see from a "gold standard".

A shame, overall, that the 2 main options for synching non-Apple supported devices (mark/space and pocketmac) are neither very "Mac".

Doesn't look like it's changing soon though.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2007, 06:57 PM

Missing Sync (for Windows Mobile, in my case) is pretty badly broken in Leopard. I'd assume the same is true for Palm. Unfortunately, I have no other options except to sit around and wait for them to update...I can't sync anything on my PocketPC.
( Last edited by Macola; Dec 17, 2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: fixed typo)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2007, 09:12 PM

They did update it a few days ago. Its working quite well.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 09:28 PM

Yeah I had the beta of the Leopard update when they issued that and it worked well. v4.0.2 should be all good for leopard.

About to transition from the beta to the released version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules