Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Claris HomePage Question

Claris HomePage Question
jfdonahue
Jul 26, 2001, 08:07 PM

I am using Home Page 3.0 to create my web site. I have a question regarding downloading files. I want to allow visitors to the site to download a document I am storing in the server. How do I create a link that will allow this download?

Thanks

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by jfdonahue:
<STRONG>I am using Home Page 3.0 to create my web site. I have a question regarding downloading files. I want to allow visitors to the site to download a document I am storing in the server. How do I create a link that will allow this download?

Thanks</STRONG>
First, it depends on the document type. Second, it depends on the user's browser configuration. For instance, it's a .mp3 file, when they click the link it will most likely open in the broser window. What you should do is have the users click on the link (right click, hold and click, whatever) and in the menu that pops up, select "save link as" or "download link" and then save the file to their computer. Someone else might know if there is a specific way to code this... I don't. good luck.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 09:00 AM

What I usually do is simply binhex the file, which the web browser will automatically download _and_decode the file, without the user noticing anything.

I have a small program that automatically does this if, if you are interested then email me: [email protected]

-Jeremy

Forum Links
Forum Rules