Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buy Apple Keyboard or other brands?

Buy Apple Keyboard or other brands?
andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2004, 08:47 PM

I'm looking to get an external keyboard for my iBook... and then i remembered that Apple killed off the Pro Keyboard. So it's now the one with the USB ports at the back of the keyboard.

What were Apple thinking man?!
So now I can't find a Pro keyboard in most stores.

My guess is that they did that so that the Apple Wireless Keyboard could be the replacement?
I took a look at that, but for that price, it's not cheap, and I'll have to "waste" a USB port for my Bluetooth adapter.

Can anyone else can recommend a good keyboard?
1. Don't need a wireless one. Too expensive.
2. Already have a few USB mice, so won't be looking at one.
3. Please don't recommend me those M$ Natural keyboards. Heh.

Thanks,
Andre
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 11:01 PM

You could probably find a good Pro Keyboard on eBay or the Buy/Sell forum here, if that's what you really want.

halogen8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 11:07 PM

I have a Macally iKey which isn't bad and fairly cheap. I recently replaced it with an Apple Keyboard which I find is much, much nicer. The eject key and speaker keys are a nice addition.

I personally believe the Apple kb is by far better than any other kb I have ever used. Even the older style kb that can with the iMacs and Pwermacs are better than most keyboards on the market. The keys feel better to me, not springy, and the construction seems more solid.

If you want the older style with the usb ports on the side check ebay. I've seen brand new(never used) Apple pro keyboards being sold there very recently.

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2004, 11:19 PM

I'd probably get mine on Ebay if I were living in the USA or something, but I don't.
The shipping charges would hit me hardest I guess. Then there's the thing about reliability too.

I'll probably have to hunt for mine in the local shops again I guess.

BTW, I saw this Macally one, seems pretty sweet, but price is the same as what the Apple keyboard sells for. click
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 21, 2004, 12:21 AM

I love my MS Internet Keyboard Pro (now discontinued, the new model is the "MS Office Keyboard"). It's not curvy, it has lots of function keys, and has superb Mac drivers (written by a non-MS Mac driver guy, so they work well). And they're cheap and readily available, but have a nice feel to them.

If you liked the old Apple Extended Keyboard II, or any of Apple's old, expensive ADB keyboards, try the www.tactilepro.com . It claims to use the same Alps keyswitches as the EKII -- and it has the USB ports in the same location as on the Pro Keyboard.

tooki

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2004, 03:01 AM

I just realised that I can get a Microsoft Wireless Desktop set (mouse + keyboard) for lesser than the price of a new Apple keyboard.

Argh! Decisions decisions decisions!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2004, 03:30 AM

After using the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard at work and at home on my Powerbook, the older Pro keyboard on my G4 Cube doesn't feel as good. I think it feels quite a bit more squishier, and I used to like it quite a bit. Now, I'll probably replace it with a new wired keyboard.

Just keep that in mind, the new keyboards did change a bit as far as feel.
<This space under renovation>

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2004, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by Drakino:
After using the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard at work and at home on my Powerbook, the older Pro keyboard on my G4 Cube doesn't feel as good. I think it feels quite a bit more squishier, and I used to like it quite a bit. Now, I'll probably replace it with a new wired keyboard.

Just keep that in mind, the new keyboards did change a bit as far as feel.
Does the Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard work with non-DLINK BT adapters?

If I get the Apple BT Mouse, will I be able to use both keyboard and mouse together?

I have a Bluetooth adapter that is branded a Billionton, and it works on 10.3.3 with my T68i and iSync and the stuff.

Somehow, the Apple one keeps making me wanting to get it. LOL.
I hate myself for being so contradicting.

Thanks.
( Last edited by andretan; Mar 21, 2004 at 04:28 AM. )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2004, 06:46 AM

I have a Logitech Cordless MX Duo. This is one of the best keyboards and the best mouse I've ever used. If you just want a keyboard, I'd suggest the Logitech Cordless Elite at around $35. That's just a corded version of the keyboard that comes with the MX Duo. Unfortunately, the drivers for it aren't great, and the MS keyboards tend to have better drivers.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2004, 05:12 AM

Hiya folks. I just got my Apple Wireless keyboard.

Just curious, since the Apple Wireless kb does not have much of a casing, since the top is pretty "naked", do you guys use any sort of covering?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules