Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help with Wireless Router

Help with Wireless Router
drx604
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 09:05 PM

On my gf's ibook.... basically i plug in a network cable and the internet works... this is at my place..

right now im at my gf's place...she has a dlink wireless router ... the airport card picks up a signal and recognizes her computer.. but the internet does NOT work... so i thought.. .well ill just plug in a network cable... no luck either...

it's wierd.. b/c at my house... plug in cable.. it works... and we even went to a wifi hotspot... and the airport card pickedup the signal and the internet worked...

can anyone please help thanks

John Strung
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 09:38 PM

Does she have any security in force? WEP? MAC address filtering?

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 09:43 PM

Have you ever connected this iBook through this particular router, or is this a new router?

If it's new, then I think you need to set up the router for DHCP.

drx604  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 10:50 PM

right now this router is connecter her windows pc via a patch cable...and wirelessly to her dad's computer... i will have to look into this dchp and WAP pw thing... her dad set up the network originally.. i guess ill have to ask him... will have to wait til tommorow since im at my place now

drx604  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 10:58 PM

ok... i just hooked it up to MY wired network... internet works!... (i left the settings on network to 'automatic' ... IP address, subnet mask, and router all showed up...

at HER place.... ip address and subnet showed up... is there supposed to be a prompt that shows up for a WAP pw? or do i need to enter it manually? anyways... i find it strange that I get a signal at her place and it actually shows her 'computer name' under the Location drop down menu.. yet can't connect....

at least i know for sure that it's her network/router thats screwed up... and not my ibook settings.... or MY network

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by drx604:
ok... i just hooked it up to MY wired network... internet works!... (i left the settings on network to 'automatic' ... IP address, subnet mask, and router all showed up...

at HER place.... ip address and subnet showed up... is there supposed to be a prompt that shows up for a WAP pw? or do i need to enter it manually? anyways... i find it strange that I get a signal at her place and it actually shows her 'computer name' under the Location drop down menu.. yet can't connect....

at least i know for sure that it's her network/router thats screwed up... and not my ibook settings.... or MY network

Yes, but you said plugging the iBook into the ethernet port of the router also didn't work. That seems to indicate a problem with DHCP and not the wireless networking. I would make sure that DHCP was activated on the router, and that the iBook's MAC address wasn't being filtered (if it is, you should add it yourself).

Update us after you've checked these possibilities.

drx604  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Yes, but you said plugging the iBook into the ethernet port of the router also didn't work. That seems to indicate a problem with DHCP and not the wireless networking. I would make sure that DHCP was activated on the router, and that the iBook's MAC address wasn't being filtered (if it is, you should add it yourself).

Update us after you've checked these possibilities.
thanks for the input... ill have to look into this tommorow...

drx604  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2004, 10:19 PM

success! apparently automatic settings don't detect... so i manually put in the ip address of her router, etc...

one thing tho...

should i leave the Location settings for 'automatic' as the default... so that when she's in the wireless environment on campus it'll auto detect the school's network?

i created another location as 'home network' .... i guess she would have to go to network and select the location for 'home network' (as the ip address info is saved there) whenever at home

is there an easier way to configure this? or is this how everyone set up their laptops?

halogen8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2004, 01:55 PM

Edit: Sorry - meant to make a new thread
( Last edited by halogen8; Apr 13, 2004 at 02:18 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules