Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does the iMac remote feature suck total ass or not? (ok for music)

Does the iMac remote feature suck total ass or not? (ok for music)
Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 03:23 AM

I think it does. Who wants to watch crap on their computer using some remote. Not me. I think it sucks ass, do you? It is ok for music however, like when you're in the kitchen making a drink or having sex with your hot girlfriend.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 03:31 AM

I don't have a hot girlfriend. Hot wife, however, yes.

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 03:33 AM

Yea.. hot girlfriend wife or hot lover.

Thanks
Cubeoid

How about it then guys's, does it suck ass or not?

Regards
Cubeoid

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 03:33 AM

Obviously you have never used Salling Clicker.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 03:36 AM

What the heck is a Sailing Cliker dude?! I am confusioned.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
What the heck is a Sailing Cliker dude?! I am confusioned.
Salling.com

It's cool.

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 03:47 AM

Yea.. it's alright. The iMac remote looks like an iPod shuffle, that was funny ...

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 03:51 AM

Good idea in my opinion. Just expands on the capaibilities which you can use it for.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 04:07 AM

it sure as hell beats wmc.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 04:08 AM

Salling Clicker basically allows you to have a smart home controlled by your cell phone and mac. I love how it starts iTunes when I come home and how it fades down music and displays name and picture of who's calling when the phone rings.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 04:15 AM

I think it does. Who wants to watch crap on their computer using some remote. Not me. I think it sucks ass, do you? It is ok for music however, like when you're in the kitchen making a drink or having sex with your hot girlfriend.
Are you serious? Take my case as a good example. I'm paying for school, rent, bills, everything and can't aford a decent T.V. right now. So my iMac is setup as my stereo, T.V. and DVD Player, and what ever else I can think of. The one thing I hate about it is...NO REMOTE....so every single time I want to change a song or rewind a movie or anything else, I have to get up from the bed and do it manually. That freakin sucks! This is going to be a cake with this little remote and software. Apple had better release Front Row into the wild for consumer purchase.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 05:02 AM

Cubeoid: You don't have a remote for your TV/DVD player?

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Cubeoid: You don't have a remote for your TV/DVD player?
No quite. We use something called a "universal commander" it's a big ol' thing with plenty of buttons and a touch screen, it powers all our devices except the satelite dish box thing (for the satelite).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 06:48 AM

No quite. We use something called a "universal commander" it's a big ol' thing with plenty of buttons and a touch screen, it powers all our devices except the satelite dish box thing (for the satelite)...
...and the Mac, right?

Now, next version of the iMac comes with a built-in HDTV receiver.

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 06:56 AM

I'm fonsued.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 07:30 AM

That much appears to be obvious.

Apple is positioning the iMac as a home entertainment centre. You can bet the farm that the next release will be available in black, with a HDTV receiver build in and a recording function of some kind. If Apple can swing the deal you might even be able to record shows and then transfer it to the new iPod, although I somehow doubt that they'll get the studios to allow that.

The iPod has made huge inroads into the consumer market. Apple is selling the iMac on the strength of the iPod, which makes perfect sense.

And to answer your initial question, the remote makes perfect sense. Think presentations, think watching DVDs, think iTunes. And in the near future, think TV.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 07:40 AM

Steve will never turn his baby into an idiot box. You should know this by now. If wanted to do so he would have done it yesterday.

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 07:57 AM

The first iMac looked like a TV, that little bastard had a small screen. I was thinking of getting it as my frist mac, the SE graphite one, but then decided to spend more and opted for the Cube. A move I never regretted, yep, never, so sir, and when I got the Cube running OS 9.1 I was as happy as a fish I was. Yea, that's right.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ratm
Steve will never turn his baby into an idiot box. You should know this by now. If wanted to do so he would have done it yesterday.
I was under the impression that Macs were already idiot boxes, you know the computer "for the rest of us" who are unable to figure out how to work the oh so difficult to use Microsoft Windows.

And yes I agree that Steve is positioning the Macintosh to become a digital hub. You don't create portable music and video devices without planning to capture the center piece.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm

(and just in case you weren't being sarcastic: Yes, that is precisely what he did yesterday by making TV shows downloadable via iTunes.)

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 03:18 PM

I think it makes the most sense in a dorm room or studio apartment. Most people probably wouldn't need a remote in their office. Wait until the mini goes Intel and gets the remote and Front Row. I bet lots of people will chuck their DVD player and use the mini as a set top box.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2005, 03:31 PM

Another good question: will the *same* remote work on any iMac, or are the remotes and Imacs paired (like BT). If not, I see people walking through the office and starting slideshows, music etc...

-t

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 03:31 PM

I've thought about the receiver idea, but I just don't see it happening. Perhaps as an add on, but why would they build it in when only 5%-10% would ever use it. I have a receiver on my Mac and I hardly ever use it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Another good question: will the *same* remote work on any iMac, or are the remotes and Imacs paired (like BT). If not, I see people walking through the office and starting slideshows, music etc...

-t
It's infrared. No pairing.

Hence the same remote for the new iPod Dock.

Meaning you can download your programming on the Mac and then use the iPod to watch it on the bedroom TV.

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 05:19 PM

A LOT of people watch DVDs on their computer. IE, almost all of those who own a computer and do not own a television/DVD player. It may not be the majority of people, but it is still a substantial number (myself, my brother and my sister ALL fit into this category, as well as a few friends).

Why on Earth would you suggest something "sucks as", just because it's designed for a group of people that doesn't include you?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 08:45 PM

Agreed.

I watch DVDs on my PowerBook when I want to watch a movie in bed, rather than the living room. What about a kid with the computer in the bedroom and no TV?

My mom has a G5 iMac in her office/spare room, and lays on the bed and watches nice widescreen movies. It makes sense.

Just cuz you don't want to use it that way, Cubeoid, doesn't mean it sucks. It looks great to me.

tooki

OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
it sure as hell beats wmc.
THis gave me a good long laugh. Let me know when the iMac comes with a built in TV tuner

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 09:05 PM

The TV market is too turbulent right now. The US is in the process of turning off analog TV broadcasts in favor of digital, there's analog and digital cable, plus satellite -- and then all the same in Europe, etc.

Look at eyeTV: they have a gazillion different models, for every possible TV signal. Apple would have to produce something like 10 times as many iMac models to support all the different TV standards.

I would support Apple allowing integration of external TV tuners into FrontRow. Another option would be to have a "bay" in the iMac that accepted a TV tuner module that you buy separately.

tooki

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 09:41 PM

Except that the "Apple style" 6 button remote would be terrible for tv use. Changing from channel 15 to 244 would be quite a pain.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 10:03 PM

Only if you expect it to work exactly like your TV's remote. I bet Apple could come up with some funky way of doing it quickly and easily.

tooki

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
Salling.com

It's cool.
Just bought a copy of version 3.0 yesterday. Its so nice.... and so handy. Plus it impresses everyone who isn`t already impressed with your Mac.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 10:29 PM

Too bad they released version 3 for Windows as well! I liked having it be a Mac-only thing!

tooki

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 11:03 PM

Sailing Rules!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 11:07 PM

I remember that I did my solo class presentation with an iBook with Sailing Clicker and S/E T637 BT phone. They just work seamlessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules