Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 iMac and RAM and OSX

G4 iMac and RAM and OSX
jfdonahue
Mar 19, 2002, 09:38 PM

I just ordered the combo drive G4 iMac with the stock 256 megs of RAM. Does anyone have any experience with running OS X with only 256 megs of RAM. Will I need to invest in more RAM to do everyday tasks like surfing the web and word processing?

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2002, 10:22 PM

While the "the more ram the better" is mostly true, for the useage you listed 256mb will do you fine. OS X is a excellent memory manager. I actually noticed a speed increase when I dropped my iMac from 640mb to 192mb...not to say that I did any major cpu intensive things...but for average use it seemed faster.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2002, 12:22 AM

If you run Classic a lot, I'd suggest getting more memory. Running OS X by itself, 256 should be plenty.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2002, 12:47 AM

Until yesterday, I ran mine with 256MB (I added another 256MB). It ran fine with the stock amount of RAM for the things you mentioned. I haven't run Classic at all with this new iMac, so I can't speak about the performance in that manner. However, surfing the net, word processing, etc. should run just fine.
I'm one of those people, though, that just have to have more RAM! So, I'll take any amount of additional RAM I can get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules