Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Unfairly banned from the lounge

Unfairly banned from the lounge
OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 02:29 PM

I would like a detailed explanation as to why this morning I discovered I was banned from the lounge. An individual going by the name "You fail it" has provoked me and I feel my actions were within the forum rules as previously outlined. Cubeoid continues to post BS and I don't see any moderator action being taken. I feel that I was unfairly banned and this is unacceptable.

( Last edited by OpenStep; Oct 25, 2005 at 11:00 PM. )

youfailit
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 02:30 PM

Yuo fail it.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 03:37 PM

Because you probably insist on posting over-size images after you have been told to stop.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 04:08 PM

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 04:12 PM

Ha! Ha!

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Because you probably insist on posting over-size images after you have been told to stop.
zimph wins the door prize.

OpenStep  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 05:40 PM

I don't mean to be an ass here but I am quoting the forum guidelines:
Inline Images
Inline images may not be wider than 480 pixels, nor taller than 720 pixels, UNLESS the thread title includes "Picture Thread", "JPEG Orgy" or something to that effect.

Also remember to not quote posts with images (or be sure to edit out the images!), since this causes excess width as well.

Images posted in violation of this rule are subject to deletion.
Could you please let me know where I was told to stop? There is nothing in this about being banned for oversize image usage, only that the images will be deleted.

disgruntled goat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 06:00 PM

If you were banned there was obviously a reason, regardless if you agree with it or not, which doesn't matter any way. You use their services free of charge and yet you have the nerve to demand an explanation from those own/run the site? If you don't like how things are handled, than take a hike. The internet is full of other forums for you to use and abuse.

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 06:06 PM

several of your oversized images were removed and replaced by warnings.
you then continued to post oversized images in additional threads.
clear?

You do it wrong
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by OpenStep
I don't mean to be an ass here but I am quoting the forum guidelines:

Could you please let me know where I was told to stop? There is nothing in this about being banned for oversize image usage, only that the images will be deleted.
You do it wrong.

OpenStep  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
several of your oversized images were removed and replaced by warnings.
you then continued to post oversized images in additional threads.
clear?
No, not quite clear. I still don't see where I was told I'd be banned if I continuted to post oversized images. I like how a person with 23 posts thinks he's internet toughguy.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2005, 07:22 PM

You're being purposefully obtuse, I think.

Lets see... What can happen when you break the rules on an internet forum? They kill your dog? No. They take your firstborn? No. They organize a DoS attack on your computer? No. They call your mom and "tell"? No.

They give you a temporary vacation from the forum? Yes.

Did you expect them to just keep asking nicely?

OpenStep  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 09:09 PM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 09:34 PM

See, it's garbage like the above post that did it. Whining about it is so unbecoming.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

You do it wrong
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:50 PM

OpenStep  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
See, it's garbage like the above post that did it. Whining about it is so unbecoming.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 11:14 PM

wow. and somehow it doesnt get old for you?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 11:51 PM

disgruntled goat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by OpenStep
No, not quite clear. I still don't see where I was told I'd be banned if I continuted to post oversized images. I like how a person with 23 posts thinks he's internet toughguy.
ouch, hit me where it hurts....my post count. i'm sorry i have more important things to do than sit and post all day such as yourself. now i will go lay in bed and cry over my subpar post count.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 26, 2005, 01:51 AM

Hi. This is Cubeoid. I was punished also by being banned from the lounge, are me and OpenStep going to be allowed back into 'general population' ??
I appologize if I did something wrong and I promise to be cultural.
Thank you. Your friend,
Cubeoid

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 07:50 AM

Openstep,

What's with the large images. At the very least try to post a cohesive well thought out argument as to why you shouldn't be banned. Instead you continue to provoke the Mods. Have you not learned from others that did they same, Ca$h, Zim, budster were all banned.

Rules are in place to maximize the effectiness and enjoyment of macnn. I’m sick of that stupid ha ha man and you continue to post the image. If you continue this, you will get Baninated yourself.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2005, 08:05 AM

Actually it's not the HA HA guy that is getting him banned. It's him posting the HA HA guy images larger than 480 pixels.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 08:58 AM

I would think that creating another annoying thread to whine about it isn't helping with the good karma balance either.

slowspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 09:06 AM

I concur Randman....

There is so much quality here and so little crap, v good ratio so lets keep it that way.

And nobody else cares the Cubeoid posts crap, coz it's funny crap and he can have a laugh at himself..... kudos to you Cubeoid
Slow Speed
"I put the moron in oxymoron"

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 09:23 AM

Proud of you.®

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 26, 2005, 09:42 AM

I gosh, how I long to be in the Lounge. !!! oH!!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 09:56 AM

Cubeoid: if you promise to stop posting inane threads, I'll let you back in a few days. Not everyone thinks those threads are as funny as you do.

OpenStep: you've shown precisely that you're not ready to be allowed back into the lounge. Your refusal to comply with image rules -- even now, after being told it's the reason for your lounge ban -- show that you have no interest in being a cooperative, productive member. It'll be a while longer before you get allowed back in.

tooki

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 10:03 AM

In a mix of quite varied people and talents and experiences, orientations methods of expression if not just speech the thing that shines through and the only thing we can really judge is the poster's personality.

In the best of situations a person assimilates into MacNN society, bringing their own individuality to this mix of individuals, and becomes known, as Dr. King hoped, not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

In the case of Cubeoid, I ask you to consider his bannination with the question of who among us has such a character? He brings mirth and a harmless irreverence to the other posters and his joie de vivre adds much flavour to this melting pot such that I feel the his loss as much as I would any of the other most distinctive and esteemed personalities here.

Zimphire, Rickey939, Simey the Limey, von Wrangell, Taliesin, besson3c, Cody Dawg, MacNStein, SWF, Randman, BlueSky (btw, BlueSky is the first and Cubeoid, the second of only two - so far - Mo-cademy Jo-ward winners in history!) and other personalities (I'm surely missing some others and hope their omissions do not offend) make for a spicy stew. And that stew would be poorer with their exclusion.

Yet, I know that posters come and posters go and the mix is everchanging. Yet, when you look at the reason for a forum in the first place, it is NOT jsut to have a place on the net where people can meet and exchange ideas. It is a business. And it is no different than the TV business where you want to attract the most numbers you can and you also want to attract a certain TYPE of audience.

Combative posters (who could THAT be???) may attract only a few people to the board. Uneducated posters may, more generally, appeal to and attract MORE UNEDUCATED posters.

But, dumb, mean spirited posters attract what kind of people who would come here and feel comfortable over time making MacNN their hangout? The kind of people ADVERTISERS think will buy their products? I don't know.

But answer me this. Who WOULDN'T like being around a smart, fun, funny, gentle spirited entrepreneur who ALSO happens to be a minority AND never gets into scraps with fellow posters? Do you think new visitors might see such a guy and want to see what he's going to say next? Or think a visitor might respond positively to the calm and slight eccentricity he brings to most every conversation?

And I can't count the number of times he has spoken up to create harmony when two other posters were snapping and scrapping.

Whatever his offense might have been I'm sure it was justified as only the admins and mods know best how to achieve the desired harmony and mix and balances and all. All I can do is state that in my humble opinion the boards would be the poorer because of Cubeoid's exclusion and as a fair judge of character I'd bet this experience has had some effect on him and I'm willing to predict he would be very unlikely to commit the same offense again.

In fact, I believe he's the kind of guy who would be THE MODEL of good behavior MacNN administration would hope to see from someone so admonished for an infraction.

In other words, 'you did a naughty thing. you paid the price. Now, when you return don't hold a grudge, don't go politicking and whining, just resume your normal interaction. But, be mindful of what you did before and so, wiser for the experience, you will be one to help spread the example of how a good, 'bad boy' should behave.'

With that I believe I've said what I want the Admins and Mods to know. Cubeoid is a good guy and a good presence in the P/L and if you were to see fit to give him a speedy parole I believe he will not do anything to make you regret your actions and would see how pardoning him would be a great thing for all concerned.

This I believe with all my heart.

Respectfully,

mojo2
( Last edited by mojo2; Oct 26, 2005 at 02:25 PM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 10:09 AM

Where's that denied request image?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 10:14 AM

Oh, I knew I'd forgotten to include some important names. I'll go fix it. Thanks for the reminder.
( Last edited by mojo2; Oct 26, 2005 at 10:26 AM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 10:20 AM

Sorry, I left it at the cleaners the other day...alas, it's back...

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 10:23 AM

Caps mean SHOUTING!

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock
Caps mean SHOUTING!
I didn't mean it that way. Thanks for the feedback. I'll fix it.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Sorry, I left it at the cleaners the other day...alas, it's back...
[/IMG]
Or as ESPN's the "Boomer" might say, "it's backbackbackbackbackback..."

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Or as ESPN's the "Boomer" might say, "it's backbackbackbackbackback..."

Indeed.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 11:28 AM

Cubeoid is the dudeoid, the real thing, and I love his "inane" threads. I hope he's back soon.

He's like Jim Carrey, a zen monk and Lassie all rolled into one.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
Cubeoid is the dudeoid, the real thing, and I love his "inane" threads. I hope he's back soon.

He's like Jim Carrey, a zen monk and Lassie all rolled into one.
How could I have POSSIBLY omitted BlueSky!?!?

Fixed!

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 02:33 PM

And at the risk of overkill or once again, slighting those for whom no praise here is needed, I will post for the benefit of the MacNN administration the post where Cubeoid won his Mo-Jo®

After an extensive review of his previous posts I'm here today to present CUBEOID the Mo-cademy's Jo-ward for Lifetime Achievement for the body of his posts which have consistently made me ROFLMAO.

If one were to simply read the SNIPPETS of his previous posts, the consistent quality and irreverence become clear. In fact, the process of doing so suggests a new artform, where a post is read and appreciated out of context as much as it does makes sense (and sometimes NOT!) AND entertain within the context of a thread discussion. As intelligent and hilarious reflections on the world in general or as glimpses inside the artist, his posts truly stand out.

And if one were looking for any ONE post which exemplified this excellence in posting, here is an image of CUBEOID achieving ICONIC status! That icon, or those icons being:

CUBEOID, you are in good company and the Mo-cademy is well represented by this recognition of your achievements.

Congratulations!
It is at the time of distress and trial that a poster most needs his supporters to make his case for him. In this I hope not to be found wanting.

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 26, 2005, 02:34 PM

contrary to popular belief, the feedback forum is not the new lounge. sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules