Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: PowerBook 12" G4 1.33GHz

FS: PowerBook 12" G4 1.33GHz
quikk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 09:13 PM

FOR SALE: PowerBook 12" G4 1.33GHz

Quick Specs:

Apple Powerbook G4 12" 1.33 Ghz 768 MB RAM
60 GB Hard Drive - Airport Extreme - Bluetooth
Combo DVD-CDRW Drive

Full Specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...4_1.33_12.html

Original box/manuals/cd's included

Applecare included

$850

Email questions request for pics: [email protected]

GWS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 09:22 PM

How much Applecare is left on this?

What's the condition? Any scratches, dents, stuck pixels, etc.?

Any references, i.e. eBay, other boards, etc.?

Thanks,
Gary

quikk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 10:03 PM

Gary PM'd you

quikk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 07:52 PM

bmp

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2005, 11:00 PM

$850.00 wow sounds too good to be true

quikk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 12:15 PM

Thank you price police, this is fair market price, visit Apple.com to see what recond units are going for.

mobdragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 12:35 PM

Bump, Nice price.
( Last edited by mobdragon; Dec 5, 2005 at 02:12 PM. )

quikk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 07:04 PM

To all you inquiring minds: 514 days of Applecare left.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2005, 11:52 PM

quickk how di dyou know im the price police? did you also know that im the scam police as well?
and i smell fish in this thread..

did you have this customized?

keltorsori
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 01:06 PM

Great price bump!

jstad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 09:29 PM

Would you consider a partial trade? I have a $100 Best Buy Gift Card and $70 in Reward Zone Vouchers from a LCD TV I just bought, I would pay the rest in cash?

Give me a PM if your interested.

ickywu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Javizun
quickk how di dyou know im the price police? did you also know that im the scam police as well?
and i smell fish in this thread..
Might be you've got a pretty good sniffer there, Javizun. I wanted to buy this, though I was a little put off by the remoteness (to me) of the seller's Canadian location and his lack of heat. I offered full price and split the fees using escrow.com. He refused, saying he didn't want to split fees and wanted no delay in getting his money, wanted paypal only.

I looked into whether I could get paypal buyer's protection and was dismayed to find he had opened his paypal account only the day he listed this sale. Still, I thought I'd make an offer that addressed both our concerns. Here's the PM excerpt:
============
Well, I'm still interested, and I've looked into this a bit, too. Since your paypal account is two days old, and unverified, I'm sure you can see why I don't want to use that method. But, if you're for real, I've got a good alternative.

1. I'll pay the $850 shipped.
2. I'll use escrow.com, but I'll pay all the fees. I'll use wire transfer to pay escrow.com the money. (1 day) I'll also pay for a wire transfer TO you. escrow.com tells me your bank will charge $40. I think the simplest way to pay that is to pay $850+40 for a total of $890. You can then request the wire transfer, which will arrive in 1 day and cover your fees.
==============
He didn't respond and it all just scared me off. If the guy IS legit, I hope he can work out a sale that makes both sides protected and comfortable. For me, it was just one of those "things that make you go hmmm..."

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 04:15 PM

i am wondering if this is the same person who had the G5 for sale for 850 that i probobly got schemed on?

when are we going to have reference requirements for sale threads?

this guy could just keep coming back with different names

mods..........nothing happened with my thread, maybe its time to take a look at this one.

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 04:16 PM

also, what was his paypal address? and did he use a derevative of edward thompson at a gamil account?

thank you

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 06:00 PM

HEY MODS, THIS IS THE SAME SCAMMER THAT POSTED THE G5'S AND STOLE MY MONEY. HE IS OBVIOUSLY AT IT AGAIN, SO PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

THE PERSON THAT WAS GOING TO BUY THIS SAID SINCE THEY READ MY EXPERIENCE THEY WERE MUCH MORE CAREFUL.

PLEASE POST A STICKY, OR REQUIRE REFS THAT YOU GUYS CHECK OUT.

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 06:01 PM

HEY MODS, THIS IS THE SAME SCAMMER THAT POSTED THE G5'S AND STOLE MY MONEY. HE IS OBVIOUSLY AT IT AGAIN, SO PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

THE PERSON THAT WAS GOING TO BUY THIS SAID SINCE THEY READ MY EXPERIENCE THEY WERE MUCH MORE CAREFUL.

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 06:02 PM

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 03:17 AM

i knew it you can tell-a powerbook for 850.00 with apple care shipped????????
this thread made me think about the g5 for 850 shipped too obvious
come on this guy is so stupid thinking the same scam was going to work lol
thanks to people like him boards like this go way down in trust...****ing cum bag
( Last edited by Javizun; Dec 8, 2005 at 03:30 AM. )

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by weazbert

Any word on getting your money back?

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
Any word on getting your money back?

the case is decided tommorow, and then i think they start the process of getting the money back to me.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by weazbert
the case is decided tommorow, and then i think they start the process of getting the money back to me.
The one time I had to go through PayPal to get me money returned was an easy process. On day 11 the money was back in my account. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 09:34 PM

This happened to me before-the guy removed all the money from his paypal account and i had to go through hell and back fighting with paypal to get my money-i hope everything goes smooth for you
paypal is a very complicated company to deal with.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 09:35 PM

This happened to me before-the guy removed all the money from his paypal account and i had to go through hell and back fighting with paypal to get my money-i hope everything goes smooth for you
paypal is a very complicated company to deal with.

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2005, 01:50 PM

thanks all, i have a sinking feeling that this guy opens a different paypal account for each one of these schemes..... along with a diff address, this just really sucks to lose this much money this close to the holidays.

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 03:51 PM

What a f***ing a$$***e!!!! I really hope you get your money back!!

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JaNeDoe
What a f***ing a$$***e!!!! I really hope you get your money back!!

it dosent look like its going to happen, and since the mods don't care, or just refuse to do anything, watch out it could be you next.

new newton
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 05:18 PM

Now you're just moping. Have you done any of the things I suggested? Have you put forth the effort to get the authorities involved? Nobody is going to fix this for you--you have to do it. The mods can't prevent this, so I don't know why you're putting it on them.

It sounds as though all you've done is contact Paypal.

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 05:45 PM

There really isn't much anybody besides Paypal will do, and they barely do anything. The authorites don't seem to be too concerned about this type of stuff, in my experience anyway. Good luck to getting back your money.

new newton
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 06:21 PM

That's just not true. It's a crime, and in my experience helping people to deal with these situations the authorities are always willing to assist. Usually all a detective has to do is place one call or knock on one door, and the problem is magically resolved.

There's only one thing that absolutely needs to happen for these situations to be resolved. That one thing is for the victim to take action and be persistent. Complaining on a message board is not going to get it done. Phone calls have to be made, and sometimes letters have to be written. Nobody is going to do it for you.

This is all based on my experience moderating a forum with 150,000+ users and an extremely active marketplace.

Are there ways to prevent this sort of thing? Yes, most certainly. They involve being a proactive buyer and taking steps to protect yourself before exposure to loss. When that isn't done, buyers are putting a great amount of faith in people that they don't know. Things can and do go wrong. Usually it's a lack of communication and someone who is just slow to act, or doesn't realize that by not shipping their goods they're commiting a crime. The seller in this case knows full well they're commiting a crime.

Weazbert has talked about the mod's having a responsibility to protect people. That's not the case here. They haven't promised or offered any such protection. They can supply information that is helpful to getting the situation resolved, however. Weazbert hasn't said if he's asked for that information or not. If anyone has a responsibility to act here, it's Weazbert. It's in his own self-interest to do so. He can either roll over, or he can make some efforts. The seller here is not untraceable.

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by new newton
That's just not true. It's a crime, and in my experience helping people to deal with these situations the authorities are always willing to assist. Usually all a detective has to do is place one call or knock on one door, and the problem is magically resolved.

There's only one thing that absolutely needs to happen for these situations to be resolved. That one thing is for the victim to take action and be persistent. Complaining on a message board is not going to get it done. Phone calls have to be made, and sometimes letters have to be written. Nobody is going to do it for you.

This is all based on my experience moderating a forum with 150,000+ users and an extremely active marketplace.

Are there ways to prevent this sort of thing? Yes, most certainly. They involve being a proactive buyer and taking steps to protect yourself before exposure to loss. When that isn't done, buyers are putting a great amount of faith in people that they don't know. Things can and do go wrong. Usually it's a lack of communication and someone who is just slow to act, or doesn't realize that by not shipping their goods they're commiting a crime. The seller in this case knows full well they're commiting a crime.

Weazbert has talked about the mod's having a responsibility to protect people. That's not the case here. They haven't promised or offered any such protection. They can supply information that is helpful to getting the situation resolved, however. Weazbert hasn't said if he's asked for that information or not. If anyone has a responsibility to act here, it's Weazbert. It's in his own self-interest to do so. He can either roll over, or he can make some efforts. The seller here is not untraceable.
I said "In My Experience" !!

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 08:59 PM

i have filed a complaint with the FBI fraud department, and i listed these two threads, and some of the user names incase they wanted to talk to more than just me. you guys are the clostes things to witnesses i have so i hope something comes of it.

thanks again for all the help

new newton
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 09:06 PM

The FBI has no jurisdiction with Canada. They should have told you that. You need to CALL (not e-mail or fill out a web-form) the local authorities there.

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 09:45 PM

The FBI has no jurisdiction with Canada. They should have told you that. You need to CALL (not e-mail or fill out a web-form) the local authorities there.
"It is the IFCC's intention to
review all complaints and refer them to law enforcement and regulatory
agencies having jurisdiction. Investigation and prosecution are at the
discretion of the receiving agencies."

right on the canadian authorities sight it gave me a link ott he FBI's site. then i had to go through thr IFCC

new newton
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 10:14 PM

Not everything can be done well from a keyboard... but you'll learn.

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 10:53 PM

Not everything can be done well from a keyboard... but you'll learn.

christ man, its saturday night, i cant call them right now, i wanted to wait for paypal to see if that would work, and now i am following the channels that the CANADIANS gave me, this is the first step i have to take.

werps
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2005, 09:30 AM

weazbert, I think this may be the same guy that tried to scam me. Ck this post http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ighlight=werps

I am sorry but I too believe that mods should have some involvment with these things! Don't they ask to report any misuse? If this is not misuse what is? If they do not want to do anything they sould at least acknowledge they see it! Wouldn't this make sense to help ward off some of this crime? It is like a lock, keeps the honest criminals out. Funny! maybe they could just have a preset email for the victim that could get him in the right track for getting some help. Idea here. I have heard from a mod before and it was not a pretty sight, he was the most busy person in the world! My God he went on and on for such a busy man! Anyway back to the idea. Maybe the mods could get paid a bit? I know I would not mind paying a few bucks a year to help pay someone to keep our site safer? What do you all think? I hope the mods take this as constructive. If there are 60,000 members and we all sent a dollar? = $60,000.00 Should buy some security or at least some help when you become a victim. Thanks , Tom
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

Forum Links
Forum Rules